Buckled wheel – repair or replace?

Home Forum Bike Forum Buckled wheel – repair or replace?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Buckled wheel – repair or replace?
  • cynic-al

If the rim isn’t bent (as a rough guide less than 1″ out) then repair – otherwise you won’t get it straight.

Can’t say if it’s a fault of the wheel without more info.

seany_e_boy

Take it to the shop they should tell you if its too bent to repair. You might be able to get a replacement if there is no obvious crash damage.

Premier Icon smogmonster
    Subscriber

A strange question perhaps, but I was out at Hamsterley yesterday and at the very last berm on Pikes Teeth my front wheel buckled as though the lateral stress was too great. Assuming it can be straightened by my LBS, will it be as strong (or weak) as new? Its only 5 weeks old, from my Cube Stereo 29er…should I just insist on a replacement?

b45her

aaaaannnnnddddd here come the warranty monkeys 🙄

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

What’s it actually like? Rare for wheels to actually buckle, if it’s just gone badly out of true then it’s most likely savable.

Premier Icon smogmonster
    Subscriber

There are no dents or anything to the rim. It has pretty much taco’d – it is bent/out of true in 2 areas. I was riding a berm when I felt it ‘go’ yesterday, as the front tyre slipped..i haven’t a clue whether the ‘go’ was the wheel buckling under the lateral forces (im not very fast though…) or whether it was the wheel buckling causing it to slip. No crash involved though. There are a couple of slightly loose spokes but they are on the wrong side of the wheel for them to be the cause. The wheel is a DT Swiss 29er that AFAIK is custom to Cube. I’ll pop it back to the shop tomorrow for their opinion. I’ll stick a pic up in a sec.

voodoo_chile

Probably get the bulk of it out but wouldn’t be perfect also cause a lot of uneven spoke tension

PeterPoddy

Yeah. Any decent mechanic will get the worst of that out, but it won’t ever be as good again. Might even be worth upgrading the rims now if you have the money.

cynic-al

Erm that would need a lot of whacks to get anything like straight.

Rebuild.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Buckled wheel – repair or replace?’ is closed to new replies.