Buckled tyre? (maxxis content)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Buckled tyre? (maxxis content)
  • alpin

No, not the wheel  but the tyre.

Bunny hopped side ways off a set of 3 steps. Nothing unusual about the landing other than the tyre rubbing.

I thought the worse had happened and that I had tachoed my wheel, but no. The rim is straight, but the tyre was rubbing the seat stay. The tyre looked twisted so I took it off the rim to re-seat it. Few thing. The tyre is borked.

Replaced with a Minion SS for tomorrow.

Anyone else experienced this?

Link to Instagram where I’ve uploaded the video…..

slowbloke

Yep. I’ve done one (DHF 2.5WT) By Lansing in a rock garden. When I posted about it someone mentioned that even slightly sideways landings can cause it….

Premier Icon RicB
    Subscriber

I’ve done it on a DHR2. The kevlar fibres in the beads can move and the tyre ends up lopsided

Took me ages (it was a newish tyre!) to sort but you have to realign the kevlar beads. Kind of tricky to explain but it’s bit like trying to thread an internal waist belt through a waist band. Concentrate on one bead only and you’ll quickly work out which way to thread the kevlar and then just keep going until tyre back to normal

Probably not much use, sorry!

alpin

Hmm..  OK. Kinda of understand what you are getting at, but the tyre has a folding bead. Does that change things?

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Kevlar is the folding bead

Premier Icon RicB
    Subscriber

Nope- the Kevlar is what allows the bead to fold (as opposed to wire bead)

alpin

So sit there and push them back so they are evenly spaced?

Where do I start and how do I know when to stop?

DickBarton

Hop the other way and reseat the tyre/threads/bead?

slowbloke

@RicB – excellent tip. I’ll try that on the one I’ve got in the workshop when I get back from the peaks.

oreetmon

Not the same but I’ve done this.

took off specialized tubeless tyre few years ago and tried to clean thick sealant off the bead by dragging it through a green pan scourer. Tyre was wobbly ‘for some reason’ after that.

did it again last month on a mint condition minion front and It was all over the place when I put it back on the rim, totally unusable.

wont be using that method to clean again as it drags the tyre and it bunches up along the bead.

Have tried and failed to get it anywhere near straight.

Premier Icon johnw1984
    Subscriber

Yup, I did the same to a DHR II on the front.  Bit of an emergency brake, off the bike situation….

mikeryan

I have done this with 2 continental trail kings. One was just an unusual scrub of the back wheel. I stopped using them after that. It’s expensive to scrap an almost new tyre from a squirm of the back wheel.

globalti

I’ve seen it on cloth-wall road tyres when there’s a gash in the tread and the threads begin to tear, causing the carcass to bulge on obliquely opposite sides.

Premier Icon vincienup
    Subscriber

I’ve heard of this a few times but never seen it myself.  Sounds like it’s only a matter of time though.  I’ve heard of tyres being warranty’d for the issue.

From the above, it sounds like this is something that can actually be fixed with effort and practiced hands.  Have I got that right or is it a tyre design failing?

alpin

Bloody happened again …!

This time on the front.

Could it be the Stan’s fluid? Something with the ammonia reacting with the rubber…. Remember that it’s the reason Maxxis tyres cry /weep. Could it have weakened the tyre carcass?

Premier Icon joebristol
    Subscriber

Sounds bizarre. Have you got a sensibly sized tyre for the internal width of your rims?

Might be time to change tyre manufacturer for a bit and see how you get on with that.

I’ve definitely never done this despite abusing loads of tyres over the years. Been running Maxxis for about a year and a half so far with no issues – aggressor / dhr2 / dhf. In the same period on my other bike I’ve run on m-one tyres and recently a Magic Mary.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.