Buckled MTB wheel.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Buckled MTB wheel.
  • Premier Icon timidwheeler
    Subscriber

I have managed to buckle my Enduro’s rear wheel. The nice fellow at pedalabikeaway did his best to fix it but he warned me it wouldn’t be perfect and he had concerns about the longevity. It lasted 5 mins and a minor pothole before I heard the rotor clicking against the caliper and there is a very clear wobble at part of the wheel.

Is it likely it can be fixed or does it sound like it is a write-off? Is replacing the rim a possible solution or will there always be a weakness and it be easier to just replace the whole wheel?
    If so please recommend a decent rear ‘enduro’ wheel (27.5, 12mm and 148) ideally for less than £200.

Thanks for your advice.

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

Rotor clipping the caliper will generally be a hub issue unless it’s way out of true and pulling it over.

If the hub is good then spokes/rim and a wheel builder is one solution.

Premier Icon timidwheeler
    Subscriber

Cheers. I think the hub may have been damaged by riding the wheel while it was buckled. Sounds like it’s going to need a new wheel.

Premier Icon tomhoward
    Subscriber

Couldn’t it be the rotor that’s warped, try straightening that? Never known a buckled rim damage a hub

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

I think the hub may have been damaged by riding the wheel while it was buckled. Sounds like it’s going to need a new wheel.

Interesting conclusion, not binned hub for a while spokes would normally go first in that situation

Premier Icon timidwheeler
    Subscriber

Hmm… To be honest I just presumed the two things were related.

The rotor is true, I’ve run it through the tool. The rotor only started clicking when the wheel buckled. It stopped clicking when the wheel was trued by the mechanic and started clicking again when the wheel fell out of shape again.

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

The buckle and rotor (and hub) are not related, something else is going on, possibly the hub settling on the dropout or through axle?

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

bent/snapped axle ?

Premier Icon Cheezpleez
    Subscriber

As others have said, your hub won’t have been damaged by the buckle and your clicking calliper is much more likely an issue with the rotor or calliper.

If the old hub is any good then I’d just get a new rim. However, it may be with shopping around for a ready-built wheel because the cost of a nice rim and a wheel build won’t be trivial and bargains can be had.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.