Bucket list… Flanders/Roubaix/etc… Pre-event/Race ride stuff ?

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 150 total)
  • Bucket list… Flanders/Roubaix/etc… Pre-event/Race ride stuff ?
  • Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

but is he really saving that much just by sitting on 1 persons wheel?

Yup, absolutely loads.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Off the top of my head, I think the ballpark figure at ~15mph+ is rider drafting can do ~150W less for the same speed

get the flock out of here ! Seriously ! That’s a massive massive figure…

I’ll be sending him out in front more often next time for it then.

Thanks all.

Premier Icon w00dster
    Subscriber

Not a chance!! It’s about 30% difference in a peloton. A single rider will give significantly less protection than that.

If you can get really really small, tucked into the most aero position known to man then you might save 30 watts while your man in the wind may be doing about 200. But always weather, road, bike setup differences to be factored in.

I do regular group rides with a power meter as do my riding buddies and no way on earth does the power drop by 150 watts by moving off the front.

This really leads to ‘get a road bike for it’ doesn’t it. Lol

I just think if you want to do road rides a road bike will make it more fun but you have to open your mind to it being different and not just for for a cheap planet x bargain but a bike that fits.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

There’s no reason the P/X bike can’t fit just as well is there ? But realistically it’s not going to be embraced, it will be bought, used, sold… within a fortnight. There’s no world for me currently where road bikes are a thing and will be used often. It’s not road riding i don’t like, i have no issues with that at all, i enjoy riding on the road. It’s the riding position, the stiff harsh ride, the narrow tyres etc, they all add up to a big pile of meh for me. Once you add in the fact that after a road bike ride my shoulder/neck are in bits…. Then, no, it won’t open my mind i’m afraid.

Right, i’m off out to the Liverpool Palace game 🙂 thanks all.

No idea if this has been updated since, but here’s an FFT vid on drafting from 2018, my ~150W saving was optimistic unless the lead rider is putting out something north of ~400W!

But even when the lead rider if two on road bikes puts out ~250W, the lead rider saves ~3W and the rider behind saves ~50W… On less aerodynamic bikes like rigid mountain bikes, I’d expect there to be more benefits for the drafting rider.

There’s no reason the P/X bike can’t fit just as well is there ? But realistically it’s not going to be embraced, it will be bought, used, sold… within a fortnight.

No reason why it cant no, but you need experience to get them set up and chosen right.

It’s the riding position, the stiff harsh ride, the narrow tyres etc, they all add up to a big pile of meh for me.

These are the things that make it fun, mtb’s with slicks are shite on the road.

Once you add in the fact that after a road bike ride my shoulder/neck are in bits

See my first point and your point about harsh ride and narrow tyres etc, you sound like you are a little tense to say the least its likely to be that making you sore, once you learn to appreciate the differences and relax I’m sure itvwould get better.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

you sound like you are a little tense to say the least

I think that’s a reasonable assumption yes.

benman

As a recentish (in the last 18 months) roadie, I can appreciate how awkward it can feel to begin with on a road bike. It took me several months of road riding for the neck/shoulder pain to go away. And that was with a lot of spacers under my stem!

18 months on my flexibility has massively improved (as has my fitness!) and my stem is about 4cm lower with no neck/shoulder pain. Worth persevering with in my opinion. I used to commute on an MTB with slicks, and there is no comparison to the speed, acceleration and agility of a proper road bike.

You should listen to me, I know the right bike to ride cobbles on!!

null

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Well that was most interesting again today. Another cold one on the roads but at least it was dry mostly. Road surfaces far from dry but the sky was dry anyway.

Today we were both using Garmin’s and HR data for some comparisons.

Here’s a few things we picked up on today.
    My recovery is both a greater chunk than his, along with being quicker.
    Our climbing HR are not as different as you’d think at times
    His HR sitting in my slipstream is almost identical to mine out front.
    Sometimes your HR us a lot different to how it feels.

Overall conclusion though was that I don’t need a new bike which is good. I still really like the Parkwood and how it rides and it chugs all Ng plenty well. His road bike out descends mine, even if he’s on the hoods and I’m tucked as aero as possible, but that’s a short chunk of any ride, so no biggy.
    His cadence and gearing mean he’s turning a much bigger gear than me, just a lot lower cadence, but I’m ok with that.

As long as we don’t get carried away on the day, we’ll be sweet!

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Did an 80km solo ride yesterday, 1110m of elevation. I struggled a bit due to first 2 hours being into a horrible headwind and dead legs from 5 days of 300+w Zwift racing. Along with a minor mishap of taking a wrong turn and going further than I thought so didn’t have any food/water lol.
    Overall it was fine, but got hard work at times.
    Seat comfort over 4 hours was great but hands were a bit dead at times.

Still the questions of buying a road bike in my head at times, even though it would be sold the weekend after

MTB-Idle

https://www.sportive.com/events/gent-wevelgem-cyclo-sportive/2020-03-28/5171/cycling

Entry open and completed 🙂

You doing this as well as or instead of the Tour of Flanders/RVV?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Not doing the Flanders,picked the gent wevelgem instead

Saccades

Get ergon gp2 grips, I use them for twentyfour12 and the like.

Extra hand positions and softer and squishier than my normal half Nelson’s so much comfier on a long ride.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Very good point indeedy.

Somehow I forgot that

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

Just been catching up

Weeksy, did you get some bigger slick tyres ?

I’ve some spesh roubaix tubeless – 32mm carcass (supposedly with a 30mm tread – whatever that means) that you can try. Won’t be roadying ’til spring so they’re unused

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Weeksy, did you get some bigger slick tyres ?

Nah, I’m running a pair of wtb cross boss 700*35

I like the comfort and feel they give for sure, but I have noticed on rides with my mate that I’m slower in comparison to him than we are on Zwift. But it’s all relative, I’m never going to be a 20mph average kind of guy that’s for sure.

Thanks for the offer but I don’t want to be stealing your rubber, I’ll happily buy a pair if that’s the way I go.

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

Those WTB will feel awful over there.  You’ll be dragged backward on every normal piece of road and sucked into the Pave.  Given the distance – and with the greatest respect – your atypical ride profile being of short duration I’d be getting some wider micro pattern road tyres Which roll a bit faster if I were you.

It’s not as bad as people make out, I did it on a standard road bike with 25mm Vittoria Open Pave at 80psi and didn’t wrap my bars twice.  Just sit up on the pave for real wheel traction, keep a steady cadence and keep your hands loose on the tops – I felt that MTB experience helped, it’s the pure roadies that do most of the moaning.   😉

I have 32mm G Ones on my gravel bike I’d be tempted with those at worst.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I’m more than happy for people to recommend tyre choices, it’s a minefield for sure.

kynasf

I did the GWV 100k Route a few weeks ago (the tourist office have fully signed the route). Very comfortable on my 32mm gravel kings. There’s actually very little pave, certainly nothing like RVV

Premier Icon notmyrealname
    Subscriber

I’m more than happy for people to recommend tyre choices, it’s a minefield for sure.

Try the Panaracer Gravel King tyres, the file tread ones rather then the SK’s. They do then in 32mm, 35mm and 38mm. I’ve been using them as my road bike tyres for the past few months and they’ve been great. Don’t feel any slower than ‘proper’ road tyres either.

Premier Icon dknwhy
    Subscriber

I’ve ridden Flanders pave on 25mm GP4000s tyres. Any large volume slick tyre will be fine and more comfortable. Could get something with a puncture strip like the Schwalbe Durano?

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Could get something with a puncture strip like the Schwalbe Durano?

Part of the reason I went for the Cross Boss was because they’re tubeless, even if I am to go more slick, I’d ideally go tubeless still if viable. I’d just rather not get a flat when on this ride and I think tubeless is better than even the best puncture proof tyre.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

As always i’ve been sitting here pondering…

Random thoughts of “Well, maybe just buy a road bike for the event, get back and flog it…” But there’s a chunk of faffing about doing that of course, boxing, shipping, profit/loss, damage etc…

So thought to myself, “How about hiring one…”

https://www.mountain-trax.com/pages/hire/

These guys can do me a Cervelo S3 in my size for the 5 days for £20 per day… So essentially £100. Which doesn’t sound unreasonable at all.

Still having the “Do i actually NEED anything”…. discussions… I’m 100% certain i don’t WANT anything, not in a long term context anyway.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

missed a post out.. (I’m having this discussion on a motorbike forum too, forgot to add this)

50km road ride with the locals today, very different outcome than 3-4 weeks ago though. We started with the same 3-4 miles route but this time I didn’t get dropped on the hills, but stayed at the pointy end of the group. This theme continued throughout the ride too, happy at or near the front and had plenty of turns pushing on at the front and dropping some of them. I asked after the ride if it was down to them riding winter bikes and tyres instead of summer bikes, but the lads just felt I must have been off form last time, which is possible as I’d done plenty of riding both indoor and outdoor before that one.

Whatever the reason, I came back happy today.

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

I was in Decathlon this morning picking up a couple of side-mount bottle cages…. wandering round i saw these Decathlon specials… ‘city tyres’ with puncture protection.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ikcYsF]2020-01-26_01-30-26[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

They were £9.99 each, so thought, why not, i’ll try them and see hey…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ikaTNZ]2020-01-26_12-43-57[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

On they went, easily enough…. I doubt they’re even remotely tubeless, so didn’t bother and picked up a couple of tubes for them.

On the road they’re smooth, easy and quite… Due to being quite big in size too, they didn’t feel terribly alien too.

I went out for an hours loop, but it started raining so i bailed and came back… but enough of a ride to test them out.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ikc3jv]2020-01-26_12-43-50[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ikc3we]2020-01-26_12-44-12[/url] by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Considering it’s a section i’ve ridden 50+ times and on all variations of bike, i was really happy ! They’re fast that’s for sure.

Average for the short ride of just on 27km/h and for that particular segment it was 32.1km/h which ain’t bad at all.

I can see these staying on !

Are they re-badged Voyager Hypers? Tread pattern looks similar!

Premier Icon weeksy
    Subscriber

Absolutely no idea mate, they were just cheap and looked decent for an experiment.

Viewing 30 posts - 121 through 150 (of 150 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.