Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • BT Wifi FON?
  • PlopNofear
    Free Member

I recently upgraded to BT infinity so get through a lot more of my 40GB monthly quota. So I’ve been connecting to the FON instead of my normal wifi. What is stopping me from using this all the time, apart from the slower speed? Is this not abusing the system?

CountZero

AFAIK, FON means you’re using other people’s wifi, or whatever they’re not using. I’ve never, ever, been able to get any access via FON; whenever I log onto a hotspot, I just get an interminable spinning icon, and nothing else. Just useless, as far as I’m concerned.
    And burning through 40Gb/month? What on earth are you doing that uses that much data? 😯

stufield
    Free Member

BT Fon is a segregated part of your broadband that doesn’t offer the full speed when at home, you allow it so you can use other peoples when out and about, which is brilliant. Just get the BT Wifi app for phone or tablet to make connect easier. PC / Mac should be very simple never had a problem here.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you stream tv and movies it’s not too difficult to use a LOT of your data allowance. I use iPlayer, Netflix etc most days and I’ve regularly touched on 50 Gb per month

chvck
    Free Member

We use in excess of 100GB every month and we don’t watch stuff in HD either! I think that you have to use a BT account to connect to FON, I borrowed a mates details to connect to it when I was waiting for my broadband to be setup a while back.

damo2576
    Free Member

Actually I was wondering today where the BT Wifi routers are? I assumed in the green boxes on the street but walking dog the signal didnt seem to get stronger there?

chvck
    Free Member

As mentioned above it’s just from peoples routers in their houses, it just splits off a bit of bandwidth.

damo2576
    Free Member

Are you sure though? I thought that was BT Wifi Fon and BT Wifi was their own infrastructure?

PlopNofear
    Free Member

If you let people connect to your router, you can connect to everyone elses.

geetee1972
    Free Member

And burning through 40Gb/month? What on earth are you doing that uses that much data?

Like you don’t know 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

Use fon loads , great thing. You are using the app right cz ??

Mugboo

I have never managed to get Fon to work on my iPhone apart from my own router!

trail_rat
    Free Member

Again are you using the app ?

Dibbs
    Free Member

The Fon and BTWiFi signals broadcast by my HomeHub3 are quite often stronger and easier to connect to than the Hub itself (needs resetting at least once a week), the HomeHub1 I had before was rock solid for many years. BT are sending me a replacement Hub (allegedly). 😕

Dibbs
    Free Member

The BT Fon and BTWiFi signals are both coming from my hub I don’t understand why there’s a difference in signal strength.

Mugboo

Yep, tried the app many times.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘BT Wifi FON?’ is closed to new replies.