BT sent extra Home Hub – wrong to keep it?

Home Forum Chat Forum BT sent extra Home Hub – wrong to keep it?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • BT sent extra Home Hub – wrong to keep it?
  • winston_dog

After my broadband upgrade I was waiting for a new Home Hub 5, it took several calls to finally get one sent out.

The day after a neighbour dropped another one off, it had been addressed to my old address.

Now should I do the honest thing and send it back, should I keep it as a spare or punt it on Ebay?

I think the £50 I could get for it would make up for all the hassle.

globalti

In reality it won’t matter and nobody will be bothered, but I would send it back.

Premier Icon scaredypants
    Subscriber

you’ll be needing it within the year 😆

(based on nothing but opportunity)

Premier Icon Onzadog
    Subscriber

Entirely your call. 😉 (felt far too pious without a smilie there).

z1ppy

if you want to be really honest, give them a ring and give them the opportunity to collect it (or send P&P)… don’t pay to send it back yourself, they made the mistake sending it to the wrong address, not you. In reality I doubt they even the slightest bit interested.

johnners

Of course it’s wrong to keep it. If you really believe keeping the extra one is fair recompense for “all the hassle” then let BT know that’s what you’re doing. Maybe they’ll agree.

wysiwyg

Depends of it counts as unsolicited.. Then you get to keep it, legally like

Ewan

Offer to let them collect them. You may find they don’t actually have a collection procedure…. in which case…

trail_rat

Im left thinking – why would you want two …. Different if it was something useful.

winston_dog

I don’t want 2.

They go on Ebay for £50.

iolo

Sell it if you have no morals. It goes to show what kind of guy you are are by even asking the question here hoping that other keep it answers will make it ok.
    I just hope you don’t drop your wallet in a busy shopping precinct and a guy similar to you finds it.

toppers3933

Keeping it because you can find a use for it is one thing. Selling it is another. IMO.

rwamartin

Technically it would be theft – “dishonestly appropriate property belonging to another with the intent to permanently deprive”. You could keep it if you could show you took all reasonable steps to find the owner, but as you know it’s BTs you’ve got no grounds to keep it.

winston_dog

I just hope you don’t drop your wallet in a busy shopping precinct and a guy similar to you finds it.

Do you honestly believe that is even remotely similar?

grum

Offer to let them collect them. You may find they don’t actually have a collection procedure…. in which case…

+1

iolo

winston_dog – Member

Do you honestly believe that is even remotely similar?

That an unscrupilous person gets something that does not belong to them.
    This person sells/uses credit cards,take your cash for their own financial gain.
    Which part of that do you not understand?

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Subscriber

I can’t get too bothered about the state of your conscience.

I’m just interested in what your fibre broadband is like, as I’m about to push the button on BT infinity myself… 🙂

mudshark

You might regret selling it if BT realise their mistake.

spooky_b329

I got two, one had my address on it but another persons name.

I phoned up, they said they’d send a return pack.

Two week later they hadn’t bothered so at that point I took ownership 🙂

_tom_

I’d send it back because they’re shit.

winston_dog

Which part of that do you not understand?

BT failed repeatedly to provide equipment they had contracted to. This required a not insignificant period of my time to sort out. Repeated phone calls and dealing with their wonderful call centres.

Now, because of their ineptitude I have an additional piece of equipment, which will require further use of my time to request a return procedure and then I will have pack it up and take it to the Post Office.

Why should I bother?

unscrupilous person

That’s a bit harsh really? I mean it will probably cost BT as much a the kit is worth to process the return.

I’m just interested in what your fibre broadband is like,

Excellent. 3mps now 50mps

saleem

I think that you should definitely send it yo me, that way you’ll not suffer any guilt and will feel the do good feel. 🙂

Tijuana Taxi

Lucky your neighbour has a more refined sense of honesty than you

pacef8

You could sell and donate to a charity helping people knocked off by uninsured or not stopping drivers.

eg road peace.

Conscience clear then.

rewski

BT have a team of people watching ebay, forums and twitter, just saying.

Tijuana Taxi

BT have a team of people watching ebay, forums and twitter, just saying

Having just retired after 38 years working for BT I do know that they are aware of some online activities that mention them by name

csb

BT haven’t got the detective skills to solve problems when the investigated is willing offering their details – they won’t have a frigging clue when they have to actually do some digging. I think winston is quite safe.

oldboy

BT probably haven’t got a system in place for taking it back, as it would probably cost almost the net value of the item if they did. Put it in a cupboard and if they haven’t contacted you in three months assume it’s yours.

RichPenny

Agree with Tom, if they’ve sent you two they must really hate you 🙂

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

Ever dropped a penny out of your pocket and thought “it’s just not worth bending over to pick it up” That’s what it’s worth to BT, you certainly don’t have their wallet and credit cards.

However I would still ring them up and give them a chance to arrange collection.

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Given the grief bt have given me over the last 3 months. KEEP IT.
    edit.. or wipe bogies over it then give it back.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘BT sent extra Home Hub – wrong to keep it?’ is closed to new replies.