Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)
  • Bryson's other law – What makes the UK great?
  • mikejd

Tap O Noth – Iron Age hill fort
    Rhynie Man – Pictish standing stone
    Rhynie chert – early Devonian flora and fauna

lemonysam
    Free Member

the problem with where I live is that there’s not a lot of anything within 5 miles except the great, bucolic, british countryside.

2 mins of google stalking suggests that you have the house and grave of Edward Elgar and The Battle of Upton nearby. Both pretty good!

Stoner
    Free Member

ah, but are they of Global importance?

And that’s creepy by the way. 👿

willard

Papworth Hospital is barely a stone’s throw from my house. Raise the limit to 10 mies and I have both Cambridge and Godmanchester/Huntingdon to lay claim to.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

I grew up in Fleet in Hampshire.

Little known fact that the printed circuit board was invented there in the late 50’s. My dad worked there from 1960.

Once I left school, I started work at the RAE Farnborough, which I could see, and hear, from my folks house. Some pretty significant stuff went on there in the past.

I now live in Alton just up the road. 2 minutes walk from Jane Austin’s house. Also ‘Sweet FA’ Fanny Adams was murdered in Alton, not globally significant perhaps but good local folk lore.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The first hovercraft were designed and built not far away.
    Queen Victoria’s residence also nearby.

matt_outandabout

Global? Struggling.

We are within 5 miles of Sherrifmuir battle site (1715 and D-day practice), Wallace Monument and Stirling castle. I think that they are more a national importance.

Again on a national thought, the school massacre led to changes in the law on weapons that impacted the country we live in today.

We also have the estate of David Stirling , arguably the founder of the modern special forces – that does have global impact (sadly).

I think the biggest global impact would be Doune Castle. Of Monty Python, Outlander, Game of Thrones fame.

dragon
    Free Member

For Reading you can chuck in Henry i being buried their, the music festival, Oscar Wilde being imprisoned there, quite a few other literature references with links to Jane Austen, and Thomas Hardy. Ricky Gervais is from Reading and Gustav Holst lectured at the Uni. George Clooney owns a house on outskirts. Nearby are also Harwell where the UK did a lot of atomic research and Diamond is based and Henley is famous for the rowing.

Stoner
    Free Member

OMITN, Ive just realised youre nowhere like in the north. If you’re near Rollrights, you’re not far from where I used to farm (Gt Ris)

I will have to adjust my mental picture of you from whippetty, flat-capped, chip-carrier, to becorduroy’d Golden Retriever stroker.

ourmaninthenorth

OMITN, Ive just realised youre nowhere like in the north. If you’re near Rollrights, you’re not far from where I used to farm (Gt Ris)

That’s where I grew up. I do actually live in The North(tm). West Lancashire specifically.

I do own a flat cap – ideal for keeping my head warm on the platform to catch the early train to London every Monday.

I rather miss being on the edge of the Cotswolds – there’s something rather ancient about the place that I always loved.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I was going to read the article but I saw that it’s in the Daily Telegraph and I noticed elsewhere on STW that the “word” on the “street” is that apparently it’s not good enough to scrub one’s bottom with.

tthew

I grew up in Fleet in Hampshire.
    Little known fact that the printed circuit board was invented there in the late 50’s. My dad worked there from 1960.

I lived there for a few years, and I didn’t know that.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Greens pies

Hartleys XB (sadly no longer)

lemonysam
    Free Member

I was going to read the article but I saw that it’s in the Daily Telegraph and I noticed elsewhere on STW that the “word” on the “street” is that apparently it’s not good enough to scrub one’s bottom with.

thread confusion?

ebygomm
    Free Member

Not sure there’s much globally important within 5 miles of where I grew up, if there is it’s passed me by.

Where I live now within 5 miles we’ve got birthplace/final resting place of the world’s first vertical-takeoff jet ‘aircraft’, Byron, Ada Lovelace, DH Lawrence, Eric Coates (Dambuster composer)

chorlton
    Free Member

Errm..

matt_outandabout

Chorlton wins the internet today.

donks
    Free Member

Bletchley park
    Marshall amps
    And Aston Martin are all local to me

midlifecrashes

Not much happens in this unfashionable northern town, but I suppose if I walk down the road I can watch the world’s oldest classic horse race (St Leger), or walk across town to Doncaster Works where among others the Flying Scotsman and Mallard were made. Boolean Algebra, the mathematical basis for switching circuits and computer logic was invented across he road too. Three miles south of me is the world’s last flying Vulcan bomber, which is cool too, but not for much longer.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

The Surrey Iron Railway which was the first railway company in the world. It used horse traction btw.

And Croydon Airport control tower which was the first airport control tower in the world (it still stands btw). Indeed the whole concept of air traffic control originates from Croydon (someone thought it might be a good idea if the airport were to communicate with pilots about to land).

And the international distress call “Mayday” was the idea of someone who worked at Croydon Airport.

nostoc
    Free Member

Thanks to this post and to Wikipedia I now know that I am 4.09 miles from the birthplace and home of Caradog Jones, the first Welshman to reach the summit of Everest.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

within 5 miles of my house;
    oldest human skeleton found in britain
    first photograph of the moon taken
    first passenger railway in the world
    where am i ?

piemonster

RRS Discovery

fettlin

Edward Elgars birthplace is just within a 5 mile radius, but more importantly the worcester sauce factory is closer!

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Forth rail bridge
    Forth Road bridge
    New Forth crossing
    Robert Louis Stevenson wrote a book in the local pub
    Birthplace of Stephen Hendry
    Oldest dwelling ever discovered in Scotland (& possibly UK)

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

piemonster – Member

RRS Discovery

Terra Nova carried Scott’s last expedition and was also built locally

chorlton
    Free Member

Monument to Sir Robert Peel.

paul4stones

Hadrian’s Wall a couple of miles away, practically at the end of the garden.
    The site of Baden Powell’s first scout camp.

Bill was right wasn’t he?

tthew

Hadrian’s Wall a couple of miles away, practically at the end of the garden.
    The site of Baden Powell’s first scout camp.

You must have a bloody massive garden, ‘cos I always thought Baden Powell’s first trip was to Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour?

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Oldest dwelling ever discovered in Scotland (& possibly UK)

Isn’t that the Knap of Howar on Papa Westray – 3800BC? IIRC the oldest standing dwelling in Northern Europe

lemonysam
    Free Member

I always thought Baden Powell’s first trip was to Brownsea Island in Poole Harbour?

I think the brownsea island trip was more like a trial run after which the scout movement started officially and the second was at Fourstones.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

For Reading you can chuck in Henry i being buried their, the music festival, Oscar Wilde being imprisoned there, quite a few other literature references with links to Jane Austen, and Thomas Hardy. Ricky Gervais is from Reading and Gustav Holst lectured at the Uni. George Clooney owns a house on outskirts. Nearby are also Harwell where the UK did a lot of atomic research and Diamond is based and Henley is famous for the rowing.

But if you were parachuted into Reading today, what would you actually go and do or see?

Henry’s grave is allegedly somewhere in the abbey area, which has mostly had 2 generations of tower blocks built on it now.

The festival is 3 days in August, and isn’t really ‘in’ Reading, apart from the disruption (i like the festival, but it’s not like you can just wander in, and there’s no atmosphere outside the fence unlike say the Fringe).

There is the jail, Oscar Wilde was there, important or exciting? It’s now on a roundabout with Staples, homebase and Toys’R’us.

Jane Austen, and Thomas Hardy. Austen was further south in Hampshire, Hardy was further north. Neither was in Reading.

Didn’t know Gustav Holst lectured at the Uni, but again it’s not something you could go and do or see (and I had to google who he was).

I’ve been here 7 years now, I’ve still not changed my mind that Reading is a cultural and historical vacuum. It’s like Slough, only escaping the same criticisms because Windsor isn’t next door to make it glaringly obvious.

aracer
    Free Member

Or maybe that you need to research your local history – radar was developed within 5 miles of you, which I should think has global significance.

I’m also going to lay claim to Elgar – his birthplace is within 5 miles, but he was bandmaster and did some of his first composition within a hundred metres or so of where I’m sitting. A place which is probably nowadays more infamous for experimental use of psychedelic drugs

dragon
    Free Member

But if you were parachuted into Reading today, what would you actually go and do or see?

Henley, Marlow and Oxford 😆 Actually the surrounding area on a road bike on a sunny day is flipping great.

There is the jail, Oscar Wilde was there, important or exciting? It’s now on a roundabout with Staples, homebase and Toys’R’us.

Not just the UK that suffers from this kind of thing. I did a tour of New Orleans and virtually every site had been torn down and replaced with something completely different. Trying to imagine the seedy bar that was the birthplace of jazz, while actually looking at a nondescript modern building takes some effort.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Henley, Marlow and Oxford Actually the surrounding area on a road bike on a sunny day is flipping great.

I agree, I’d still say that (insert name of just about anywhere else) has better biking, but relative to Reading, being somewhere else on a bike is indeed better 🙂

The jail is still there, no idea how much is as it was when Oscar was a resident, but it’s mostly a big tall brick wall with a big tall brick tower behind it, and a lot of CCTV and barbed wire. If you like that kind of thing Broadmoor is a bigger, more impressive wall, and scary as f***. In fact Broadmoor could probably make the list of significant things in/around Reading, but again, it’s not something you can see/visit.

Still, it could be worse, it could be Basingstoke.

andermt
    Free Member

Living in Coventry we have loads of ex and current British car factories, The Cathedral’s, various other historic buildings that survived 1940.

Work (same place as JAG I assume) so ex-nuclear deterant airfield.

Born in scotland approx 5miles from the historic St. Brides Church, Douglas

mudshark
    Free Member

The Queen Mother had her honeymoon near me, Roger Waters was born in my village, Barnes Wallis lived nearby as did Thomas Cubitt and Maurice Joseph Micklewhite still does – that’s the most famous thing so everyone knows that.

jekkyl

I live near stoke on trent. Large scale pottery manufactured here during the 17th and 18th century, pioneering processes by wedgewood, minton, spode & doulton. There is still a wedgewood factory at barlaston and I ride past it regularly on the canal.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

We build these things. They make the world a safer place to live.

jekkyl

oh god not barrow in furness?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘Bryson's other law – What makes the UK great?’ is closed to new replies.