Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Brrrrrrrrr
  • bruneep

-14 oC outside in Aberdeen. Has it made the news headlines? has it ****! Would have been lead story doon sooth.

B

djglover
    Free Member

MTFU

miketually
    Free Member

bruneep, with this tread and the photo of your car on the other thread, you’re not filling me with confidence that we’ll manage to drive to our holiday near Elgin on Saturday!

gonefishin
    Free Member

mike if there isn’t anymore snow then the road will almost certainly be fine. Whilst this is certainly on the cold side for us up here it isn’t unheard of and I doubt if we are running out of salt & grit.

This was my car after some snow few years ago and this was by the coast.

Hmmm that doesn’t seem to be working.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/29/110032149_442a88a561.jpg?v=0

RudeBoy
    Free Member

-14 oC outside in Aberdeen

Where?

Never heard of it…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Had to dig my car out of a drift on the way home last night (north of Glasgow) then got stuck in a dip in the road until I could get a run up (fun in the ice!). Oh nooooo I cant get to work, the world’s falling apart…..oh no, I can, I’ll just use a little common sense! 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

mike if there isn’t anymore snow then the road will almost certainly be fine. Whilst this is certainly on the cold side for us up here it isn’t unheard of and I doubt if we are running out of salt & grit.

Oh, I’m certain it’ll be fine.

Does the A9 often get closed during bad weather, like the A66 does? If so, what’s a good alternative route to Elgin from North East England?

gonefishin
    Free Member

The A9 does sometimes get closed in places, it did last week for a bit, but if there are problems you could come up the East Coast on the A90 to Aberdeen then the A96 out to Elgin as it’s very unlikely that both the A9 and the A90 will be closed.

miketually
    Free Member

cheers

joemarshall
    Free Member

Yeah, not reported anywhere.

Except on the main pages of the Independent the Times, the Telegraph.

Joe

molgrips
    Free Member

It was on the news this morning. -16 somewhere in Scotland.

Again, enough with the mtfu I don’t know what all the fuss is about comments. It’s really getting old.

stumpy01

Yep, it was mentioned on every BBC weather report I saw this morning that it was -18 in Aviemore…….admittedly, they didn’t mention it was -16 or whatever in Aberdeen, but seeing as Aviemore was colder, I guess they covered that instead.

I thought that part of news reporting was looking at things that don’t happen that often – well, if it is always cold in Scottish wintertime, like everyone up there seems to keep reminding us every 30 mins or so….why would it be worth reporting on the news…..?
    It would be a far more newsworthy article if it was -18 deg C in Cornwall, so as you say, yes it probably would have been headlines had it happened daan Sarf…..

Oh, and I think the Bush Fires in Australia that have so far killed hundreds is probably more important that the weather in Aberdeen.

cuckoo
    Free Member

Where?

Never heard of it…

Couldn’t find it on the tube map but I think it might be on the circle line 😉

bruneep

miketually – Member

bruneep, with this tread and the photo of your car on the other thread, you’re not filling me with confidence that we’ll manage to drive to our holiday near Elgin on Saturday!

Mike check here to see what like the roads are oop north Traffic Scotland

BTW its still -5 oC

miketually
    Free Member

That’s really useful, cheers.

Assuming the roads are clear, I’m really looking forward to the drive up as the views should be stunning.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyway, -14 in Aberdeen isn’t news cos it’s not unusual. It’d be very unusual in London so if it happened it’d be news. That’s what news is.

STFU

gonefishin
    Free Member

“Anyway, -14 in Aberdeen isn’t news cos it’s not unusual.”

As someone who’s lived in Aberdeen for over 10 years I can safely say that -14C is unusual. Not unheard of, but certainly not usual.

Mat

-14C is unusual. Not unheard of, but certainly not usual.

it does happen at least every couple of years, not like the -27 in braemar in ’86 that we always had teachers bang on about, warmer in your freezer etc…

coolfurcats
    Free Member

Does the A9 often get closed during bad weather, like the A66 does? If so, what’s a good alternative route to Elgin from North East England?

Mike, try trafficscottland.org and get the Drumochter pass on webcam.

http://www.trafficscotland.org/lev/

If you want to get to Elgin… Eh… Do you have a boat? 😉

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

If you decide to go via Aberdeen on the A90 and onto Elgin the A96 can get pretty bad near Huntly at Glens of Foundland.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Brrrrrrrrr’ is closed to new replies.