Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Brother cycles big bro
  • bish

So I’ve got a new bike itch and fancy building up a singlespeed 29er again. Seeing as surly have changed the karate monkey I’m looking for something else and I came across this brother cycles big bro and it looks just the ticket if a little expensive. I’ve not really heard anything about thus brand before and can’t seem to find much about it so was wondering if anyone on here has one or has ridden one and give me there views on it. Or any other suggestions on what to look at, I basically want something similar to the karate monkey I used to have well to be honest I want my old karate monkey back.

NormalMan

As a side point the new KM is still a 29er in ss guise. But if you wanted the older geometry (I did!) then Triton cycles still have them listed. Or do what I did and grab a complete build km Ops.

cokie

Stooge Mk3 is available soon.
    This will be my third and I love it. Will also be available in two sizes.

Ceeing as you asked, here’s a little info on the MK3. First off, they’re being made at the moment, i’d like to say 3 months away but these things have a habit of dragging out a little. So, 2 sizes – the current size with a 18″ seat-tube and a 23.5″ top tube, and a 20″ with a 24.8″ ETT and slightly taller headtube. 44mm headtube, tapered steerer steel fork, 15mm shorter chainstays (430mm + or – 7mm due to EBB), fatter downtube, slightly fatter top tubes. I’ve stuck with a 27.2 post because of the comfort, plus there are plenty of 27.2 droppers available now.This new one is optimised around B+ because i love the way it rides, but you can still run 29 rear/29+ front if you want.

Why a 44mm headtube? Couple of reasons really, a lot of people wanted to run a carbon fork on their MK2’s but couldn’t, and the axle to crown of the fork is the same as a sagged 120mm B fork or a 100mm 29er, so if you really wanted to you could.

faustus

Inbred 29er frame and Surly KM fork can be had for less than £300, old school geometry and head tube but would probably make a decent SS 29er on the cheap. Plenty of ‘nicer’ options, but depends how much nicer than the increased price justfies…

bish

Normal man- can’t find any xl’s and to be fair as much as I miss my old one I fancy something different.
    Cokie- stooge is definitely on the list, especially now he’s doing a big one.
    Faustus- I’ve heard the tyre clearance isn’t great on the inbred, and I’m just not that ‘into’ it.

NormalMan

Fair enough. If you changed your mind about the Ops (44mm HT and MDS dropouts) complete then tredz have the XL still.

A Salsa El Mar if there are any around would be a good alternative.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Brother cycles big bro’ is closed to new replies.