Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Brooks Saddles
  • SprocketJockey
    Free Member

For some reason I’m quite liking the idea of a Brooks saddle for Christmas -probably a B17 narrow. I’ve heard they don’t cope with muck that well but would probably be going on my Surly 1×1 which is currently in retro-roadster guise…

Are they as comfy and durable as people claim?

Black or brown for a “punkin’ orange” surly 1×1? (cuffs and collars to match, naturally)

Shall I get the matching tweed trews, pipe and slippers at the same time?

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Mine’s done over 1000 miles in 12 months and I think it’s just about comfy enough, 250 miles on beaches, one major crash and re build, it’s got a good few scratches and hose washed down after most rides and theres no probems here.
    If it’s ever left out in the rain I’d cover it with a carrier bag though

atlaz
    Free Member

How about one of those fancy Alpe d’Huez ones?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

How about one of those fancy Alpe d’Huez ones?

Nice!…. but not sure budget will stretch.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

When I rode the transam this summer, many people had specced new Brooks saddles for their touring bikes. Most suffered horrendous saddle sores. I doubt that daily you’d be spending as much time in the saddle as they did, but it will take you a lot longer to break one in.

I bought a Brooks Pro Select as a student back in the eighties. I never did break it in. I sold it twenty five years later for more than I paid for it.

Sorry, not a lot of help.

TiRed

I ride with a B17 off road. It gets wet and muddy. Underside is perma-proofhided. Top gets a dry, proofhide and polish regularly. I’d go for black if you are going to get it wet and muddy. Mine was a perfect fit first time, although I bought it used from someone for whom it was not!

ruscle
    Free Member

I got a Ti Swift and it broke in fairly quickly, I think a very wet night ride and regular proofide helped speed up the process. I found I had to wrap it in a plastic bag on wet rides to stop it sagging but since I started using Snoseal it holds up much better. Very comfy will always have Brooks saddles from now on and would recommend the use of snoseal very highly.

RustySpanner

SprocketJockey – Member

Are they as comfy and durable as people claim?

Black or brown for a “punkin’ orange” surly 1×1? (cuffs and collars to match, naturally)

Shall I get the matching tweed trews, pipe and slippers at the same time?

Yes, stupidly comfortable.
    Prefer the narrow on drop bar bikes, the standard is better for flat bars.
    For reference, a Spoon or Bel-Air fits me fine.

Get a black one – they do scuff, like a good pair of shoes or boots. The black look nicer for longer.

Who cares what others think? Great comfy saddles. They do tend to get nicked though, if you live in a place where that may be an issue.
    Think about your top tube length – they don’t go as far back on the rails as modern saddles.

Not great if you’re soaking it every single day without a chance to dry out. They can get a bit ‘baggy’ if you do.

They weigh a ton, if that’s important.

If you buy one and don’t get on with it, please let me know 😀

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Thanks all. Really useful advice. 🙂

I don’t really care what other people think… I really like the retro look, and the bike it would be going on is very much in the trad mould.

The Spoon is a useful reference point… I use one currently. Top tube length isn’t too much of a concern…. it’s pretty long on the Surly, and my current saddle is on the mid point on the rails.

Nickability is a good point… not much chance here in the wilds, but will also be using the bike for some urban jaunts. I don’t use a QR seatpost though.

drofluf
    Free Member

Think they’re the marmite of saddles 🙂 I’ve got B17’s on all my bikes and find them really comfy, others don’t get on with them

giantjason
    Free Member

i have a brooks swift and it has been fantastic after breaking it in over a couple of months.

druidh
    Free Member

I have a black B17 STD and it was comfy from the get-go. It has only got better over time. However, it really doesn’t appreciate getting mud and grit rubbed into it so I’ve taken it off the tourer while it is CX mode and will put it back on for road duties.

handyman
    Free Member

been using the ti b17 version for a few years now, on my road and full sussers bikes great get the odd comment and the ti one is not too heavy, though now they are really expensive, when i bought mine they were good and cheapish, not had an issue with wet or grime, use mine all weathers, i do cover them up if its raining and i am not sitting on it ie on a bike rack etc and they broke in in anout 8 hrs riding are so comfy for big rides 100 miles etc

boblo
    Free Member

Hmmm, like Mccrossusamoonter, B17’s for my bum. Have still got a Pro and it lives in a box. I tend to use Bel Air’s off road as I couldn’t stand to see my lovely Brook’s getting shagged in the off road filth.

For roadbiking (and my shape), they are sublime.

charliedontsurf

Great saddles. Potentially a saddle for life if you look after it.

They do a saddle Cover for wet rides. We have them at around a fiver.

http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/brooks-saddle-cover-457-p.asp

paul4stones

I’ve got one on my Scandal which is currently utility/touring bike and it suits it fine. Breaking in was probably aided by a very wet recce for the Kielder 100 followed by the K100. It’s probably a bit baggy because of that and I find that the rivets at the back dig in a bit after a while. It is one of those saddles you can just sit on with ordinary clothes on and it’s comfy for a good while.

ransos
    Free Member

Overweight, overpriced weapons of ass destruction. Save them for your penny farthing.

RustySpanner

Really can’t believe how expensive they are now.

My current B17 Narrow was £20.99 (still have the box) from Harry Hall’s in 2001-2.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Brooks Saddles’ is closed to new replies.