• This topic has 19 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by xyeti.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • brooks cambium
  • thomthumb
    Free Member

I’m thinking of a brooks cambium, but unsure wheter to go c15 or c17.

Never ridden a leather brooks, but currently have charge spoons on the road bike & commuter.

Any thoughts on which is most similar, or in general…

ransos
    Free Member

Never ridden a leather brooks, but currently have charge spoons on the road bike & commuter.

Why would you change from a Charge Spoon?

Candodavid
    Free Member

I went from a Spoon to a C17. Wish I could afford more of them for all my bikes

aP
    Free Member

I’ve tried both the C17 and the C15 on my brompton. I’m really not convinced by them interms of where the flex is within the saddle shell, I’m currently riding the C15. Has stood up relatively well to nearly two years of use, but I may ditch and go back to fizick.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Why would you change from a Charge Spoon?

12hrs+ on the spoon and it starts to make my arse numb.

I have actually ridden a brooks, a ladies version on the OHs bike and i like the hammock design. I think it’s going to be comfy.

cardo

Blimey 12+ hours on any saddle might be a bit numbing …

C17 is wider and a bit more forgiving, I’ve run one for over 2 years in all conditions and it’s been great , still in lovely condition and more durable to knocks and getting wet than its leather cousin.
    The Camiums do feel different to a traditional leather Brooks, I recently bought a B17 off here 2nd hand and you seem to sit more in it than on it. The leather ones are adjustable too unlike the Cambium.

clubby

Got 2 C17’s and love them. Try to find a premier dealer, some of them have demo saddles you can try.
    Personally can’t fathom why people rave about Spoons? Tried one and while it was ok, that stupid stitching rubbed off the lining of my gore tex shorts. Worst “cheap” deal ever.

firestarter
    Free Member

I had a b17 it was great, I got a c17 it was bloody awful.

therevokid
    Free Member

tried the c15 and c17 … never got on with either. now on a fabric
    scoop (one shallow and one flat) and love em 🙂

drovercycles
    Free Member

Give us a shout if you’d like to try a C17 – happy to post a demo saddle out.

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Been running b17 and swift and colt brooks saddles for years and tried a spoon once was horrendous chaffed my neither region so much it was cut up to sh1t after a four xc race. I’ve only tried the Cambrian C17 for about an hour and I recon for commuter work it’s bob on as it won’t suffer from water damage like the leather ones and was pretty comfy may even get one.

garthmerenghi
    Free Member

I commute 34 miles on a C17 and find it very comfy. Has a little tear in the fabric cover now after 2 yrs of use but doesn’t seem to be getting any worse. I find it really comfy and has solved the numbness I was getting with the stock Genesis saddle that came with the bike.
    Only drawn back imo with the cambium is the matching bar tape. It’s very expensive and very thin. I’m actually getting on fine with thinness but the price is eyewatering every time I need new tape.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Got C17’s and a C15 on all of my bikes.
    If they fit your bum they are fantastic I very tried many and these are the best (for me).
    The C17’s are more comfy for my fat ar$e than the C15

ransos
    Free Member

12hrs+ on the spoon and it starts to make my arse numb.

12 hrs before a numb arse would fit most people’s definition of comfy!

Personally can’t fathom why people rave about Spoons?

Cheap, light, comfortable. But I do agree that the stitching is a bit annoying.

xyeti
    Free Member

I’ve got a C15 that replaced a Charge Scoop, the C17 was a bit too touring like in appearance for me so I opted for the slimmer C15 which is more like a traditional road racing style saddle.

It’s far more comfortouble than it actually looks, more comfy than any seat I’ve had in a long while.
    One thing I would say is that it’s pretty heavy for a saddle so if you are putting it on a carbon road bike it prob weighs more than the frame but for a more traditional ride or a CX / tourer not made out of plastic it’s a great addition and a modern theme on a traditional saddle.

I agree the bar tape is a tad expensive, I’ve managed to resist this so far,

SandCrab

I’ve got both, c15 on my Cotic and c17 on my Stooge – both really comfy but the extra give on the c17 is like a sofa.

Any saddle is going to be personal preference but you are welcome to try mine if you are anywhere near Trowbridge. I think Charlie Bikemonger is doing a risk free trial on them too.

Chris

Teetosugars
    Free Member

C17 on both my Vaya, and my Krampus.
    Love them.

tazzymtb

Ltd edition c15s on the sheep and jones, really looking forward to carbon version to go on slinky black rooster.

Stedlocks
    Free Member

I was one of the original ‘testers’ for the C17, and I still use it all the time…..I have many other Brooks saddles on other bikes, and while it’s slightly different, it’s very familiar with my hoop! It’s a bit like trigger’s broom though….it’s had new rivets and a new top, as I wore the original out after about 6000 miles :0)

xyeti
    Free Member

Tazzy, what numbers have you got?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘brooks cambium’ is closed to new replies.