Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Brooks Saddles?
  • Teetosugars
    Free Member

Does anyone actually use one, I like the idea for my Vaya, just not sure about them?

Any opinions?

😳

boblo
    Free Member

Yes but not for MTB’s. On my tourers/tandems (B17’s). Ace for my arse bit Marmite though.

peath
    Free Member

Hmmm… was contemplating getting a B17, for my birthday, to go on my Vaya too (with full mud guards)… Commuting/Audax and stuff…

Jury is still out for me…

fatboyjon

Fantastic saddles, they thank you for a bit of looking after too by lasting many times longer than owt else. My B17 has done more miles than I could ever remember and it’s still superb.

mrmoofo

Yup, use on a roadrat
    It’s comfortable – now …

However, be aware that the rails shape doesn’t allow for a lot of layback …

trickydisco
    Free Member

Yep b17 on my dawes commuter. Lovely and comfortable

firestarter
    Free Member

Had a b17 narrow on my Sabbath it was lovely really comfy its currently in my spares cupboard as I still can’t bring myself to fit it to the mtb even tho its now my only bike

stevemakin

yes on my Fargo

San Marco Rolls on the Vaya 😉

ericemel
    Free Member

I use one on my MTB and CX bike – love it – takes a bit of tlc from the mud and rain but in my eyes worth it for the comfort.

jota180
    Free Member

Torture device as far as I’m concerned

Persevered with one for weeks until I could take no more, I was then persuaded to give it another month, which made no difference.
    It now lives somewhere in the shrubbery, half way down the garden.

nsaints
    Free Member

I’ve just fitted a B17 to my roadbike* – I was expecting the 1st 750 miles as pure torture until it was broken in – but it feels perfect from the off.

I’m not sure about fitting a brooks to my MTB as I don’t think they hold up well when very wet.

* my roadbike has mudguards fitted, hence little/no spray from the rear wheel.

RustySpanner

Not at todays prices, since the Italians bought them and turned them into a lifestyle product.

Get one of these:

from Spa cycles for half the price.

They really are good.

PeterStarkiss
    Free Member

Bought a Brooks Professional a few years ago after seeing them being made as part of a documentary by a guy building his ideal bike.

Beautifully made, real quality leather.

I knew the first month or so would be breaking it in, so persevered.
    After a couple of months I accepted it just needed breaking in a bit more so stuck with it.

After 12 months I was questioning my tactics but it looks so good and I really wanted it to be comfortable so I persevered.

After 24 months it I was still rather firm after a few miles and I had to admit to peddling out of the saddle, something I have never done before.

Last year I had to face reality training for the London to Brighton off-road and the Brooks came off temporarily for a less aesthetic dual density saddle.

I haven’t put it back on….

It seems some people get on great with them, some don’t, and unfortunately you have to spend some money to find out.

boblo
    Free Member

I don’t get on with the Pro, I (my arse) prefer the B17.

fourbanger
    Free Member

Trickydisco – saddle angle?!

mudshark
    Free Member

I got a B17 with my Galaxy but didn’t use it on a tour as worried about the wear in period. I now have it back on the bike which is being used on the turbo trainer, good way to wear it in I think.

oldgit
    Free Member

Fantastic out of the box.
    Though as I found out, they need a bit of looking after, they don’t like a soaking. So I took it off the bike I bought it for, and it’s going on a fixed audax/tourer type thingy with mudguards.
    Not light though.
    Standard Swift.

Raouligan
    Free Member

I’ve got a Swift on my Genesis just a steel railed one, it’s mega comfy, don’t but it squeaks like a very annoying thing which is pretty dull.

Oh if you run with the saddle along way back on the rails you’ll find that the metal clip that holds a swift together fouls a Thomson seatpost which is again a source of noise.

If you ran the saddle mid rail I’m pretty sure this would all stop?

It is super comfortable though and despite the weight I’d consider whacking one on the Sprout.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

stevemakin – Moderator
    yes on my Fargo

San Marco Rolls on the Vaya 😉

Which are you bringing to Rothbury?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Hmmm, I’ve a carbon seat post, with a fair amount of layback..

I’m guessing maybe I should just stick to something else then? 😐

charliedontsurf

Got a ti b17, hurt like hell for ten miles, and loved it ever since.

Use mine on my to Fargo, be perfect on your vaya.

Get the five quid saddle cover to look after it on wet days… http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/brooks-saddle-cover-457-p.asp

A tub of proofide will also be needed.

Raouligan
    Free Member

I think it maybe a Thomson post Swift interaction thing that just doesn’t work with the saddle slammed all the way back.

Depends a lot o where you run your saddle really.

boblo
    Free Member

Squeaks are usually from the adjuster on the front. A couple of drops of oil every now and again keeps em quiet. Rain covers can be had from most supermarkets gratis though cotton ‘bags for life’ are less well suited…..

stevemakin

I have one you can try 😉

Fargo

ormondroyd
    Free Member

I have a swift on my road bike. Love it. I can ride centuries and not even think about the saddle.

coastkid
    Free Member

Got about 11 off of old bikes,couple of new B17s but favourite are 1960s Brooks Professional,
    Got at least another 40 years life in em yet… 🙂

Saturday beach ride 19,1,13 018 by coastkid71, on Flickr

marka.
    Free Member

I get on with my B17, and pretty much always have done from the beginning, luckily. The saddle angle is critical, though: nose a mm too high and it’s painful, but a mm too low and you’re sliding off the front.

With the recent price rises now, though, I’d also be having a look at the Spa Cycles ones.

saleem
    Free Member

Had a ti swift, should have never got rid if it, looking at getting a ti Swallow for a new bike I’m building, but lots of money for a saddle.

giantjason
    Free Member

i have a ti swift on my commuter that is the most comfortable i have ever had and will be keeping it until it falls apart.

shame they arent robust enough to be used on a MTB!

saladdodger
    Free Member

I have both a Ti Swift and a Professional

tbh I am not impressed with either not a patch on the original Flite Ti

saleem
    Free Member

I’ve a carbon flite I’d swap you for your swift ? Like this but in black.
    http://www.tredz.co.uk/prodimg/17616_1_SuperSize.jpg

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve got a basic B17 on my commuter/tourer. Lovely and comfy.

singletracksurfer

I’ve got a titanium swallow saddle in brown, unused which I’m going to sell (because it doesn’t look right on my mtb and I’m never going to get around to road riding). E-mail me if interested.

andeh

I’m looking at getting a Brooks but don’t really know the difference between the models. It’s just to go on my road bike, which came with a horrible saddle. Anyone shed some light?

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

My dad spent 20+ years banging on about his Brooks saddle and how amazingly comfy it was. Then he tried my Charge Spoon and ordered one himself 15 mins later. He has finally admitted that he never really found the Brooks comfy.

On the plus side it will sell well on eBay!

doom_mountain

Have a Team Pro on my tourer/commuter/road bike, after years of getting to know one another, it’s really comfy.
    Hopefully if I keep taking care of it, we’ll have a long happy life together.
    Already outlasted several plastic-y saddles on other bikes.
    It matches my brown bar tape as well 😀

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

Got one on the advice of druidh and instantly loved it. The ‘Phillipino Maidens’ effect has yet to materialise, but it didn’t take the hundreds of miles that some folk suggested it’d take break in. Superb.

remoterob
    Free Member

I’ve always thought that Brooks were the MTB saddle equivalent of supplying a LBS with biscuits for favours; people always suggest that they are a good idea, but no body actually goes ahead with it.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Brooks Saddles?’ is closed to new replies.