Bronson vs Nomad?

Home Forum Bike Forum Bronson vs Nomad?

Viewing 6 posts - 91 through 96 (of 96 total)
  • Bronson vs Nomad?
  • Surely, decent suspension can be set up with the right amount of sag and with decent high/low speed compression damping circuits, tuned to work in all conditions???

Obviously a pro will have his own take on set-up and I wouldn’t question that, but personally I make sure both ends are working all the time, even on small chatter.

Does this not mean that the bike is riding a lot higher than it’s designed to be, which is at odds with the popularity of lower bottom brackets for better handling?

Indeed, that sounds like a pretty amateur attempt to get a firmer ride. Better tuning of the damping would give him more what he wants I’d think. Certainly, watching the top guys riding their DH bikes the ride height looks normal so this can’t be a standard set-up.

Premier Icon Rick Draper
    Subscriber

Worst I know a ex pro racer look at me post ever.

DanW

Regarding sag set up, I ride with an ex World Cup downhiller, ( bike is 5010XL), and I struggle to compress the forks particularly, and shock

This was something I tried to get across earlier in the thread when people were getting discussing the amount of sus these bikes have vs the pedaling ability.

My point was…

I also can’t get my head around how a bike can be well suited to both a pro who runs 10% sag riding at considerably faster speeds and nastier terrain and a average Joe run 25-30% sag and considerably slower on more mellow terrain. The compromise seems to be for the average Joe while the Pro gets the great pedaling characteristics (10% sag on any length travel will pedal great) but they are still smashing everything on the way down and making full use of the travel left in reserve… whereas the average Joe is mincing and wallowing through everything… or the bike is designed for the average Joe to make a bigger travel bike worse at what it’s meant to be good for as you say. God I’m so confused. The marketing and pretty colours seem to have people convinced you can have it all… but I do agree that logically you can’t have everything without compromise. I just can’t work out where the compromise lies and for who! Depends on priorities I guess

Much like the responses above the reply was “b()llocks, pros don’t run such firm set ups etc etc”

Indeed, that sounds like a pretty amateur attempt to get a firmer ride. Better tuning of the damping would give him more what he wants I’d think.

Well to quote the Fox Factory Tuners… (from here)

About spring settings. Do you set the spring stiffer than a typical trail setup?

Yes, most racers run a stiffer spring setup with only 10 to 15-percent sag

About spring settings. Do you set the spring stiffer than a typical trail setup?
    Yes, most racers run a stiffer spring setup with only 10 to 15-percent sag

Well, my apologies. I’m surprised, but now educated.

fuzzhead

Just read that article you linked to DanW – not a lot of love for the article author/content from the comments!

i guess shock set up is a personal/contextual thing…

Viewing 6 posts - 91 through 96 (of 96 total)

The topic ‘Bronson vs Nomad?’ is closed to new replies.