Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bronson pivot bearing seized
  • mildbore

Got a Santa Cruz Bronson CC 2015. In March I had the pivot bearings replaced under warranty (ie free of labour charge) because one of the bearings had seized (upper linkage, non drive side, the lower of the two upper linkage bearings). Last weekend we were washed out of the Lakes with some very wet weather. Today I decided to check and found that the same bearing has seized. Just wondered if anyone else has had this or if anyone has any (preferably helpful) comments

deadkenny
    Free Member

Can just happen with enough water and/or crud even with relatively new bearings. If it was very wet and/or you hosed it down too much, the grease gets displaced enough, water gets in and mixed with steel balls results in rust and seizes up. Or little gritty bits of crud gets in there and stops it spinning.

You can pull the links and see if you can free them and/or pop the seal, flush and regrease. Lower link has grease ports so just shove grease gun on them and grease away.

But anyway, lifetime warranty on SC bearings. It’s the bearings that are free. Usually there’s labour charge but it’s far less than a set of 8 bearings. Or DIY. Just send pics of knackered bearings to Jungle with proof of purchase of the bike and they send you new ones.

I’d also check the end caps on the bearings are firmly seated plus stick some decent grease between bearing and cap. e.g. Marine grease. Acts as waterproof barrier.

thered

I’ve just had my bearings replaced on my Bronson and one of the replacement upper link bearing’s was seized, maybe there’s a bad batch floating about?

xyeti
    Free Member

I’ve always had this on my nomad, top bearing usually gets the sweat dribbled on it and it finds its way into the frame mount at the top tube and speeds up the rusting process. I had an axle pivot so badly corroded it looked like it had been at sea and raised with the Mary Rose.

That’s usually been the case for me, yours may be any of the other reasons above.

mildbore

Cheers chaps, some useful comments. Just spoken to lbs who will contact Jungle to try and work out why one particular bearing is seizing. Anyone else with similar experience?

billyboy
    Free Member

I ran a Marin Attack Trail for 7 years and when I did replace the bearings, the old still had life in them.

I ran a Giant Anthem for a year and then I had to replace all the bearings.

The Marin set up was designed for UK gloop- I doubt the Anthem was – there were no simple seals to protect the bearings.

Had no experience of Bronsons but I’ve not known Santa Cruz bikes in general to have a special problem.

xyeti
    Free Member

I wouldn’t hold your breath……….

It will your fault,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bronson pivot bearing seized’ is closed to new replies.