Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Bronson or New Shock…
  • woody1980
    Free Member

I’ve got an Orbea Rallon – the 27.5 one not the 29er. Recently not finding it as poppy as I’d like. Can’t get the rear shock sent quite right and it always seems too soft despite tinkering. I was looking at replacing the shock, currently a Float X, for a DPX2 to see if this improved things.

Seems though that shocks are getting harder to get hold of as metric sizing takes over from imperial. My LBS can’t actually get the right size anymore.

Got me thinking about a more drastic move of changing the frame (I’ve already had a severe case of upgraditus so all other components have already been upgraded recently so a new bike as a package makes no sense). This got me looking at a Santa Cruz Bronson CC frame. Reviews seem good and I’ve found a frame in my size.

Anyone either had this issue on a Rallon and improved it with a shock change or has anyone ridden a Bronson and Rallon back to back?

I’m obviously not able to at the moment!

daveylad
    Free Member

No but I hated my bronson V3 and sold it after 6 months of trying to get on with it. Loved the V2 thought.
    Testride testride testride.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Scratch that itch

ffej
    Free Member

If it’s an issue with the shock that has developed over time does it not point to the need for a service? 100 quid ish from Silverfish…

joebristol

I’d second getting the shock serviced / tuned for what you want it to be like as a cheaper first step.

If you’re just fancying a change then make sure the frame you’re considering does what you want. Is a Bronson particularly poppy vs a Rallon? I’d have thought if you want Santa Cruz then the 5010 would be more on the poppy side and has livelier geometry.

If they weren’t so expensive I’d have considered getting one harder than I did.

My short lists for a 120-130mm trail fs was:

Santa Cruz 5010 (rules out on cost)
    Evil The Calling (also too expensive)
    Transition Scout
    Bird Aether 7
    Sonder Evol (reach vs seattube height didn’t work for me)

I got a better deal on the Aether and it had a more progressive linkage so that won for me but the Scout was a close second (the outgoing alloy model).

julians
    Free Member

If you’re happy with the rallon, but just want a new shock, I have a rallon frame with bos kirk shock that I’m selling. The frame is a size medium ,but has a dent in the downtube from a rockstrike a few years ago, that never got any worse,but I suspect will put people off the frame. The shock itself is working perfectly, if you wanted to us it as a donor.

Looking for £250 for the frame and shock.

honourablegeorge

woody1980

Seems though that shocks are getting harder to get hold of as metric sizing takes over from imperial. My LBS can’t actually get the right size anymore.

Your Rallon uses a 215×63 shock, which is one of the most common sizes, and is widely available everywhere. If your shop can’t get one, they’re not trying very hard for you. It’s only the RockShox Deluxe that’s no longer available in that size.

Onzadog
    Free Member

New shock, from a shock tuner tuned from the off to what you want.

chiefgrooveguru

Did it used to feel good? It sounds like that’s what you’re saying! If so, get the shock serviced.

poah
    Free Member

so the shock isn’t rebounding as quick as you’d like?

Send it to J-tech for a service and a tune. They are offering free DPD pick up at the moment.

honourablegeorge

J-Tech have some cheap shocks too – Cane Creak IL Coil Black Edition in 216×63 for £300 (am almost sure that’s right size for you)

woody1980
    Free Member

What was the difference? Is the V3 the current one? Not that familiar with the SC range.

woody1980
    Free Member

I’m sure it did yes. Trying to figure out if it’s changed or if it’s because I’ve had a couple of rides out on my hardtail (Dartmoor Hornet) that’s thrown me.

Got to the point though where I’m picking the Dartmoor over the Orbea as it feels more playful.

woody1980
    Free Member

Sounds like a shock service or new shock is the ‘sensible’ option. I was sure everyone would say buy a new bike 😂.

Has anyone tried a Float X vs a DPX2? Having looked around I can find the right size shock outside of my LBS so wondered if it was much of an upgrade. My shock was serviced relatively recently (although might have been longer ago than I think!).

razorrazoo

What was the difference? Is the V3 the current one? Not that familiar with the SC range.

V3 is the latest design with the lower mounted shock. The shock is now has bearings and the design is supposed to be more supple at the start of the stroke than the V2. I’ve got a V3 and had a V2. I can’t say that I find the new one less poppy, but it is a bit longer and slacker, and with the more supple suspension the more sensitive may feel this. The V3 does feel better though IMHO – but more of an evolution than revolution, I was able to instantly get on it and feel at home.

Reading reviews suggests the V3 favours a more active riding style, which suggests that better riders with more experience of different designs than me still find it moves well vs a more point and plough bike.

bruneep

null

Works fine on my Rallon, maybe try somewhere else if LBS can’t or won’t get.

woody1980
    Free Member

I was looking an the air shock but speaking with TF Tuned they’ve said to try a coil.
    How do you get on with yours? Assume that clears the frame ok?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Bronson or New Shock…’ is closed to new replies.