Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Broken XTR SPD – Transplant from another pedal?
  • beamers

Evening all.

I’ve been riding with SPDs ever since they came on the scene and this weekend was the first time this has happened:

A rock flicked up, hit the pedal and snapped the spring section which holds the cleat in place.

A quick check of the shimano website shows that piece as being part of the pedal body and not available as a spare. Pretty much every other part is available.

I’ve got a reasonably new set of XT spds which I could remove the broken part from and put on the XTR pedal.

Anyone tried this? Will I lose my finger(s) / eye(s) / sense of humour – there is a spring involved.

Ta in advance.

tomhoward

I’d just use the XT pedals. There’s no functional difference, and about 17g more heft

duckers
    Free Member

Yes, You can replace that bit and IMO XTR is too good to be dumping over something so trivial, so it could be worth putting a wtd add for an old SPD or for that bit only and the retention strength screw. Actually I might have a a pair of broken 540’s I could post you a plate off if you like, drop me a message if so. If not I may be interested in them for the right price 🙂

And also yes, IIRC the hardest bit is getting the spring, that plate, and the retainer screw back together – It’s not impossible and I used a strong screwdriver between the spring and that plate to lever the plate into position and get the retention screw back in.

lucky13
    Free Member

Maybe worth seeing if you can claim from Shimano? XTR have a three year warranty and those aren’t more than a couple of years old. My SPDs have taken a number of stone hits without that happening.

trap6
    Free Member

Op,is that xtr 975 Or later?
    I maybe able to help,I’ve a singular xtr975 in the spares box (that’s been what seems forever)but not sure what side it is/if that matters,can check once home tomo.

beamers

@lucky13 – Good shout. I’ll pursue a warranty claim and see what happens

@duckers
    – Thanks for the offer. As well as the XT spds I’ve numerous pairs in my “I’ll keep this just in case box” which I can use for that part if the warranty claim comes to nowt.

beamers

Op,is that xtr 975 Or later?
    I maybe able to help,I’ve a singular xtr975 in the spares box (that’s been what seems forever)but not sure what side it is/if that matters,can check once home tomo.

Cheers trap6. Its an M9100 so later than the 975. I’ll wait and see what the the warranty claim produces / what lurks in my spares box. If neither come up with the goods I might take you up on that offer.

trap6
    Free Member

No worries,let me know if yr in a jam.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve reassembled ancient spd clip parts but not modern ones without too much difficulty, hopefully similar.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Broken XTR SPD – Transplant from another pedal?’ is closed to new replies.