Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Broken toe advice
  • ronjeremy
    Free Member

Evening all, I slipped on the stairs this morning (er yes it was a good night last night) and I’ve just got in taken sock shoe off and my toe is bent and very red/bruised, swollen, now I don’t fancy wasting hours at A&E so what can I do tonight to just make it easier, just feels numb at present to be honest…….

Thanks all in advance

poly
    Free Member

Misshapen and numb doesn’t sound good to me. Compromised nerve or blood flow following a fracture (even a toe) is not something to ignore. Whilst a toe seems trivial and not worth wasting time for I still suffer years later from nock on effects of a toe problem 6 or 7 years on (which was seen at the time, but there was a collective decision to avoid surgery to fix).

dr_death
    Free Member

If it’s just broken we do nowt (well, strap it up and tell you to man up). If it’s broken and bent we straighten it.

Difficult to know without someone sensible assessing it.

Minor injuries/Walk in centre for you.

KonaTC

Given I know you there is only one bit of advice that’s appropriate

Zip up your man suit 😉

poly
    Free Member

Minor injuries/Walk in centre for you.

Dr Death – if it needs fixing (rather than some micropore and a dose of MTFU) will a normal Minor Injuries Clinic be able to deal with it? I know that when I did mine the x-rayed it then referred me up to the ‘proper A&E’ because it was in so many pieces.

restless
    Free Member

I fell down the stairs and snapped my little toe back once. It got stuck in the bottom of my jeans.
    It was very painful but when i saw a nurse she said there was nothing that could be done, it was strapped to the toe next door and that was that.

It did make it quite painful to drive for a while too.

bommer
    Free Member

If it’s your big toe, get to A+E/walk(heh) in centre. Broke my big toe and was in plaster upto my knee for 4 weeks, as it is important for balance and walking and stuff. Other toe, tape it to the bigger one next to it and prepare to hurt for a week or two. Ibuprofen helps, but see the doc if starts going cold or funny colours that’s not bruising

I broke one once, manned up, went to work and got on with it. Mine hurt like hell and swelled, but wasn’t bent though.

I have pics for doubters.

djglover
    Free Member

I broke my big toe. Went for x ray, yes sir its broken, but there is nothing we can do so go home.

alanf
    Free Member

The same experience for me with my big toe.
    “Well it’s smashed into many pieces but there’s nothing we can do”.
    Strapped to other toes and told to go home – makes sitting in A&E for 5 hours worth while.
    If it’s bent then I’d get it assessed, but expect the above.

retro83
    Free Member

when I did mine, the doc told me it’d be fine as long as it was pointing in the right direction so stub it t’other way to straighten it up

dr_death
    Free Member

Poly –

Depends on the minor injuries centre…. Some are better than others. I know a couple of the nurse practitioners at our WIC would striaghten it, I know some that wouldn’t. Depends on their comfort/competence level – like everything else I suppose.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Broken toe advice’ is closed to new replies.