Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Broken scaphoid supports
  • Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Hello,

I broke my scaphoid about 6 years ago and was pain free most of that time, earlier this year I done something and couldn’t poor the kettle or even open a beer 😯 so something had to be done.
    November I had a bone graft and come out of cast next week, while I wont be on the bike until Feb I’m after some ideas for a better wrist/thumb support.
    I’ve been using one of those 661 straps it didn’t support much really, perhaps too larger size?
    I’ve been eyeing up one of the Troy Lee 5205 straps but didn’t know if it would be any better?
    Is their anything out there with a bit of thumb support as well?

Thanks in advance.

shermer75
    Free Member

Why do you need support? Have you been referred to a hand therapy team?
    How long were you in the cast for? Why did you have the bone graft?

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Support as the scaphoid has rotated on the radius restricting the movement.
    6 weeks in the cast so far come out next week and physio 2 days after.
    I had the bone graft as it was non union (mended fibrously but non union) , as I was pain free until this year they didn’t see a need to operate until this year.

Cheers, Steve

chrisdw
    Free Member

I broke mine beginning of the summer this year. The consultant showed me a paper about a study showing that the thumb support doesn’t do anything for scaphoid fractures. As soon as i was taken out of the cast that was put on in Andorra where I broke it. I had a free thumb. Healed fine. Still building the muscles back up which is slow, but I’m almost there. I pulled some ligaments too which didn’t help.

Once I came out of cast I wore a velcro splint with the metal rod for just over a week. Then took it off and started to get it moving. The physio was pretty painful to start with. but made it progress much quicker.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I broke mine about 16 months ago now (broke another bone also & wrecked some ligaments).

I was away riding for a summer season, so did something really stupid, in that I carried on riding & got it dealt with when I was home.

Of course it was too late to do anything really, by some miracle the bones healed well, but the ligaments have been more of an ongoing rehabilitation issue.

There are some super expensive, but really good MX braces out there for this sort of thing, which I considered for a while which may be worth investigating for your needs. FWIW I found all of the soft braces pretty much useless.

A lot of physio tape kept me on the bike at the time. It could be done up tight enough for me to stabilise my wrist & I continued to use it for a while after. None of the splints of supports worked for me as I found they bunched around the palm of the hand so I couldn’t hold on to the bars properly.

wideboy
    Free Member

Ok,

So for background: I broke my scaphoid and Radius this summer up at Fort William (end of May).
    I was in an open cast for 2wks (due to swelling), then closed cast for another 5wks.

Wrist was obviously very tight, with very little movement range, and massive loss of mussle.

With physio and pushing the exercises hard in the the first month back I had good ROM and rapidly regained strength. Now I’m fully functioning, biking, skiing, lifting heavy items etc, perhaps at 90% of full ROM. Certain impacts on wrist are still VERY sore, but otherwise i’m all good.

If you’re looking for a support for riding (which by the braces mentioned it would appear you are), i’d seriously advise not even thinking of getting on a bike until your wrist feels ready.

If you think you need a support, you’re not ready!!!

I thought the docs were being super conservative with the 3-6month estimate for being back on a bike, but when my cast came off I counldn’t even grip my bars on the turbo, let alone ride. So I started running and doing short turbo stuff for fitness, use your wrist as much as possible day to day, but no riding!

I was lucky that my break was obvious on xrays instantly, and healed very well with no complications. So post cast I progressed really well and was back on my bike 3 months post break.

For day to day wear I had a similar support to the one pictured above from the NHS, nice and lightweight (and thankfully black so I didn’t look like an old lady!).

I used this for running, heavier and stronger (in case I fell over!).

That turned out to be a bit long! Basically, do the physio, take your time getting back on the bike and with a bit of luck you’ll be back to shredding at full speed in time for spring 😀 I feel your pain!

Good luck!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My left scahphoid is basically dead bone, it’s left me weaker when I’m tired and susceptible to a shock movement on the wrist but that is it. I tried a support after my last knock but I’m back to nothing now. See the hand physio about strength etc. As my last one said sone worry the arthritis will stiffen it up for you.

hot_fiat

Done both of mine. LH Was diagnosed straight away I was cast up for 6 weeks. RH wasn’t diagnosed until a long time after. In both instances Dakine snowboard and/or Salomon inline skate wrist guards really helped: the dakines are basically the NHS splints but made properly robust, while the Salomons were great for the RH, which I self-diagnosed at the time and dealt with in a stupid bloke “la la la it’ll be fine” <downs whisky and cocodamol> sort of way.

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Ok thanks for the information, I have to say with it broken and pain free..it just ended up stiff with or without the 661.

Will stick to getting it stronger again.

Cheers, Steve

ali69er
    Free Member

Two damaged joints in my wrist, have found the TLD 5205 the difference between riding and not riding. Excellent would recommend. Also allows you to customise the rigidity by using different numbers of splints

ali69er
    Free Member

Also got some chunky odi grips which absorb the vibrations which help

hot_fiat

^^+1 for ODI rogues.^^

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Broken scaphoid supports’ is closed to new replies.