Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Broken off thorn puncture – ditch the tyre?
  • RustySpanner

Partner picked up a thorn puncture on a recent night ride. Despite being really careful I managed to break the damn thing whilst trying to get it out – first time ever I’ve not been able to remove the whole thorn.

The remainder is buried in the carcass of the tyre – should we carry on using it, ditch it or attempt removal with a sharp blade?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

FFS. Knife tip. Wiggle.

I need to wipe my arse – which hand?

takisawa2

RustySpanner

Well that’s me told then 😀

Had to get the thorn out in the dark and not sure how much is left – will have a dig later.

racefaceec90

try using a paper clip.i once had a very small shard of glass that i couldn’t see/feel,but it kept causing punctures when i re inflated the tyre.i had to use a desk light to try and spot it,then use said paper clip to push it out.it worked a treat 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Use a screwdriver and just push it all the way in or out.

stevomcd
    Free Member

try using a paper clip.i once had a very small shard of glass that i couldn’t see/feel,but it kept causing punctures when i re inflated the tyre.

I had that once! Damn thing was **** invisible. Took me ages to figure it out. On a p*ssing-wet day, of course.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

run it tubeless with sealant.

yossarian
    Free Member

Call 999 immediately

muff
    Free Member

don’t know if i’m stating the obvious here or not. But just jam something hard (like a screwdriver) into the area from the inside, the whole will flair out and you can just pick it out.

RustySpanner

Hmmn, can’t find the bloody thing now.
    I’ve tried Hdruid’s tissue test but no luck.

Ms Spanner refuses to line up valves with logos, because ‘ I’ll look like a STW saddo’ so no frame of reference and I didn’t mark the tyre.
    Guess we’ll just have to wait for the next flat and go from there.

Tubeless? It took me 15 years to accept disc brakes – I’m saving tubeless for retirement.

muff
    Free Member

ducktape the inside of your tire. out of sight out of mind.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Tubeless or a drawing pin works for me

oldgit
    Free Member

They come out, I’m now running at a nice round 20 punctures this month. 18 on the crosser and 2 on the road bike. 17 of the crossers ones were thorns.

spooky_b329

20 punctures?! Get some slime tubes or slosh some Stans into your inner tubes!

pitduck
    Free Member

(anotherdeadhero) 😆

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Broken off thorn puncture – ditch the tyre?’ is closed to new replies.