Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Broken mobile – AKA the end of the world
  • verses

Hi,

Mini V dropped their mobile and smashed the screen – the screen still lights up and shows the pin entry screen, however it doesn’t recognise any touches. It’s an oldish phone, so I don’t want to repair it, however I’d like to get some of the data off it if possible.

The two main options that occurred to me might be non-starters (I’ve not had chance to check yet) so I wondered if there’s anything else I’ve not considered.

Option 1) Connect to Laptop and see mounted drive
    – I suspect this won’t work as you get the prompt on the phone to enable the laptop to connect, which I can’t click

Option 2) Connect a mouse using an OTG (On the Go) cable
    – I’ve been Googling this and it looks like I need to enable the option on this particular phone (Sony Z5 compact) before using it

Any other options available to me? I’ve dabbled with ADB before if that’s likely to be of any use.

TIA

kelron
    Free Member

Should be able to use ADB to backup and restore to a new phone.

Or if there’s a Google account on the phone that might be auto backing up contacts and some other stuff, should be able to log in through a browser to check.

tall_martin

I’ve recently smashed my Sony xz3 compact.

A new one off ebay for £70 and restarted with my Google account has brought the vast majority of data on to the new phone. Having all my music on a memory card helped

woody2000

I rescued my Mrs’ old Moto G with a USB OTG adapter and a mouse, definitely worth a go. I just plugged it in and it was recognised immediately.

MikeG

When I did the same to my old xz1 compact there was an a program I downloaded from the Sony site that allowed back ups and resets etc to be done through the USB cable.

fooman

The mouse thing works on Xperia but you have to have it plugged in on power up / reboot – if you have a lock screen it will need unlocking before data transfer is allowed

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Broken mobile – AKA the end of the world’ is closed to new replies.