Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Broken Metacarpals – Recovery Time
  • wombat

About 4 weeks I broke 2 metacarpals as a result of a stumble and fist to metal post impact whilst running. Clean breaks, no bone displacement.

Because I thought it was just bruised and I also thought “I’ve had Worse” (turns out I hadn’t) it took me a couple of weeks to actually go to A&E.

Anyway, hand and forearm will have been in a cast for 10 days and I’m going back to the fracture clinic, 4 weeks after the break happened.

Anyone else broken their hand? How long was it before you could ride your bike again?

I assume (and the internet suggests) it’ll be at least 6 weeks from the initial injury.

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

I broke two metacarpals on my right hand a few years ago. They were repaired using some mecanno strips (titanium medical version). Hand was fine within a few weeks. Hopefully they will give you the all clear once you go back to the fracture clinic.

joepud
    Free Member

I recently broke my 3rd metacarpal (pretty small fracture) went to the hospital that evening had 4 weeks in a cast now at week 5 started physio. Been cleared for some road / gravel riding but no big bikes due to repeated impacts on the hand that still after 5 weeks will have a bit of a fracture. Fractures normally take 6-8 weeks to heal. To be honest after another 4 weeks in a cast your hand will be stiff and pretty weak riding a bike is sorta unrealistic. When they took my cast off I could just about lift a kettle.

wombat

Well,the cast has been off for 9 days now (1 month to the day since the injury) and I’ve been wearing the neoprene wrist support I was given at the fracture clinic and I’ve been doing the special wrist exercises several times a day as instructed…..

So far so good, I can lift a kettle and spent yesterday afternoon laying some paving without any noticeable discomfort.

Hand is still a little bit swollen but that’s only noticeable when compared to my left one.

Not tried riding yet, will probably go for a gentle run out on the road to the shops in the week to try it out before I go too far off-road.

joepud
    Free Member

aaah my bad dude, i didn’t see you posted this a week ago i though it was recent as it was at the top of the page.

wombat

No worries, was surprised to see a reply after a week 😁

Wonder why it suddenly appeared at the top of the page?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Broken Metacarpals – Recovery Time’ is closed to new replies.