Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Broken hand…..how long to recover?
  • Telemaster18
    Free Member

i THINK its metacarpal on 3rd (ring) and/or 4th (pinky) finger. got cast on since tuesday. any body done it?

stumpy01

What type of break? I had a spiral fracture on the long bone between knuckle & wrist on my left ring finger.
    They originally said 4 weeks but ended up being 6 before the cast was off, then a couple of physiology sessions.

Now the bone is noticeably shorter & my hand doesn't work as well as it did!

DezB
    Free Member

Yep! It was about a month to 6 weeks – but I did ride with the cast on a few times. Cos I is wild and dangerous 🙂

You picked a bad time to do that – summer will be over in 6 weeks!

Telemaster18
    Free Member

i dnt know, they were pretty rubbish in the hospital. i go to the fracture clinic on monday so may find out more then

whoopiegoldbars
    Free Member

6 weeks for me. Had my cast off just over a month, then found out last week that my bike frame's cracked.

Think it might be a sign…

jamesfifield

Depends what you've done: I had a boxer's fracture of the second metacarpal and was back playing rugby (with strapping admittedly) with 4 weeks. Having said that, it now looks like I don't have knuckle…
    Standard prescription is 4-6 weeks, though if you have something slightly more "exotic" then it will take longer. When you start taking tendons off then the time seems to grow exponentially.
    My advice is to take it steady. Follow the doctor's orders. And GET WELL SOON!

Northwind

Only thing I'd say here is don't rush it, I was too impatient with mine last time I broke it and now it's a bit ****ed. Hands are pretty precision instruments best looked after.

dr_death
    Free Member

4-6 weeks (ish) depends how badly you have done it and how quickly you heal. .
    Oh and they're your 4th and 5th fingers officially….

johnners
    Free Member

Yeah, about a month, hurts for longer though. I didn't get a cast put on mine.

Telemaster18
    Free Member

these sound quite positive. im hoping my hand is too messed up as im a guitarist/drummer/violinist! cast cant come off soon enough for me. but i wont be silly with it

hels
    Free Member

Can depend on a lot of things, never in my case.

Spiral fracture to 3rd and 4th metacarpal, so needed surgery and pins. Very painful, imagine being put under and somebody hammering nails into your hand.

Some shocking after-care, massive scar tissue formation on the joints and I now only have about 50% grip on that hand. Luckily this is enough to ride a mountainbike as never had a death grip on the bars anyway and compensate with other arm, but it tires on long descents. Can't pick up a full kettle of water tho and have nearly killed the cat more than once dropping things in the kitchen.

So my advice would be to keep it moving as much as you can as soon as you can !! And see a physio NOW don't sit on a waiting list for 6 weeks until the damage is done…

Telemaster18
    Free Member

Ok so its not my hand but my wrist. Ive fractured my hamate. ring any bells to anyone? ive got a new cast for 5 weeks. anything longterm? i was warned about arthritis.

landy813
    Free Member

Hows it going healing well i hope.

I smashed my metacarpal on Saturday where it joins the hamate on my pinky and maybe next finger along (x-ray not very clear) getting a k-wire or wires put in on Thursday. Got told the wire will be out after 3 weeks then cast on again for another 3 weeks. My boss will go ape when he is back off hols tomorrow.

jaconcon
    Free Member

All this stuff is good to know as i just broke my wrist today when i got hit by a car on my commute to work.
    Get my proper cast on tomorrow. I'm pretty gutted as i've waited six weeks on my mate getting his cast off after he too broke his wrist and i end up in a cast the same day he's out of his
    Shite

Conor
    Free Member

8 weeks for me (pisiform). But then again I came off, knew there was probably a fracture, ignored it, went snowboarding two weeks later, hurt it again, finally went to A&E another week later. haha!!!

dr_death
    Free Member

Jeez, we're an accident prone lot at the moment aren't we…. Must be the weather. Healing vibes to all, especially the half a dozen MTBers I saw over the weekend.

Northwind

Can't guarantee your injury is the same, mine took about 6 weeks before i could do anything functional with it, and even then I rushed into it too early and did myself a bit of damage… Hands are precision instruments so for the sake of a few weeks extra off the bike don't push it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Broken hand…..how long to recover?’ is closed to new replies.