Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Broken forum
  • Premier Icon sambuka
    Free Member

Why does this site reload every time I try to read a thread? This has been a problem for a long time and I’d imagine puts people off coming here. iPhone, Safari if that’s helpful

Premier Icon jim25
    Free Member

It’s been like that for me for months, constantly reloads threads and often just shuts down completely with a black screen saying something along the lines of “this isn’t possible”
    IPhone 11 or 12 using safari

Premier Icon dyna-ti

Consider yourself fortunate. Many pay for this privilege 😉

Premier Icon j4mie
    Free Member

Thought it was just me. Very frustrating!!!!!

Premier Icon frankconway

Not a problem for paying subscribers.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg

Not experienced anything of the above
    Chrome/android

Premier Icon FunkyDunc
    Free Member

It got better for a while.

Mark said it’s something to do with ads and they turned some off.

The irony is that it’s a loose loose for STW as not only is the site unusable but because the site is unusable you don’t get to see ads that make them money

I got bored of reporting it

Also recently I got a full page ad on iPhone, something to do with yachts which once it loaded it filled the screen and no way to close it down

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

I got a full page ad on iPhone, something to do with yachts which once it loaded it filled the screen and no way to close it down

If you buy the yacht, the ad goes away. Its less than the price of a coffee every 30 seconds. Some people are so tight 🙄

Premier Icon reeksy

In the members forum there are regular discussions about how to make the experience worse for all those non-members. This month’s target is iPhone users that insist on sticking with Safari.

Premier Icon bikebob

As a paid member this site is not perfect, but happy to say I don’t have same issues, also using iPhone (11) with Safari.
    It’s a shame you stopped using the site. Lots to learn in here, the common thread being loose vs lose 😇

Premier Icon bikebob

Damn just noted it’s showing me as a free member. I do pay, honest 😕

Premier Icon Sandwich

The irony is that it’s a loose loose for STW

Wizard’s Sleeve slack or slacker?

Premier Icon piemonster

Edir, beaten to it

Premier Icon scotroutes

Shocking.

Demand a refund.

Premier Icon tpbiker
    Free Member

Not a problem for paying subscribers.

It’s the reason I cancelled my subscription tbf, so paying customers are not immune

Premier Icon chakaping
    Free Member

I wonder what the professional web devs among us think of this forum and it’s persistent fragility when it comes to hosting adverts / working properly?

I struggle to believe that business model is really “make it shit so that people subscribe”.

Premier Icon Cougar

This month’s target is iPhone users that insist on sticking with Safari.

To be fair, Apple’s browser model is such that whatever browser you use on iOS it’s still really Safari under the hood. If a site isn’t working then you’re pretty stuffed. (Macs don’t suffer from this, just iDevices.)

It’s the reason I cancelled my subscription tbf

If the issue is advertising-related then that makes little sense as (so long as you’re logged in) you shouldn’t be seeing adverts.

I struggle to believe that business model is really “make it shit so that people subscribe”.

Of course it isn’t. The problem is more likely simply one of resource. When I was a moderator I had access to STW’s bug / feature request / to do planner, the versioning was approaching two years long.

Premier Icon tpbiker
    Free Member

If the issue is advertising-related then that makes little sense as

I have no idea what the cause was but all I remember is it constantly freezing and refreshing half way through a reply

Tbf it’s been a bit broken for years for various reasons. Since I no longer pay for it I no longer care however.

Premier Icon noltae
    Free Member

Worst user experience out of all the forums I frequent. I have found that switching to an alternative browser made a huge difference. On Chrome the site is practically unusable.

Premier Icon irc

Works fine on firefox and android. No advert problems. Pity posting pics is so awkward.

Premier Icon dyna-ti

We’ve never had these issues on RetroBike..

Which is completely free incidentally, despite many people over the years offering to make a contribution.

Premier Icon Cougar

RetroBike gets 200k visitors per month compared with STW’s 1.5 million. I suggest you bugger off there if it’s so much better, they could use the custom.

Premier Icon dyna-ti

I suggest you bugger off there if it’s so much better, they could use the custom.

😆  😆  😆

Premier Icon scotroutes

On Chrome the site is practically unusable.

Works fine on Chrome for me – on all the platforms I use. I wonder if there is some other factor that might make a difference?

Premier Icon funkmasterp

Safari on an iPhone 7 here and no issues at all

Premier Icon keithb

Works fine on chrome on windows 10, 11 and Android 7 (I think).

I’ve never had issues with this sites operation generally, but bemoan the layout and symbology used that is really indecipherable. Like having 2 handshake icons for different things in the side/6dot menu. I try to avoid that menu as it’s so useless….

Before the Xmas 2008 hack it was still shonky and counter intuitive, but at least it wasn’t trying to be income generating then, and really was an adjunct to the magazine, rather than its own monster…

Premier Icon chakaping
    Free Member

It’s so bad now, with freezing, ads rendering in odd places and the screen jumping about.

I know criticism isn’t very welcome, but if the forum is now the main revenue generator for the business why not make it a bit smoother?

What can the devs be doing that’s more important?

Premier Icon tomhoward

but if the forum is now the main revenue generator for the business

Is it?

Premier Icon gurnster75
    Free Member

Works fine for me on Chrome, perfect for reading @frankconway moaning about free members on as many Topics as possible 😀

Premier Icon CountZero

Also recently I got a full page ad on iPhone, something to do with yachts which once it loaded it filled the screen and no way to close it down

Moving up in the world, then – when I used to get those, oh, ten, fifteen years ago, it was TAG Heuer watches and Maserati cars.

I refuse to use Chrome, I’ve read a lot of different articles that don’t describe it in glowing terms, and it belongs to Google, which explains it.

Premier Icon sirromj
    Free Member

Wait what there’s a forum?

Premier Icon eyestwice

I wonder what the professional web devs among us think of this forum and it’s persistent fragility when it comes to hosting adverts / working properly

Without ruffling feathers here, I wonder what the majority of ‘professional web devs’ would suggest in terms of scaling a site to 1.5m active users.

Wordpress it isn’t. Nor is it likely to be hosted on a shared provider.

I could check but can’t be arsed. Likely we’re looking at a cloud provider eg. AWS, GCP. Then there’s the choice of solution within that cloud. Options for both vertical and potentially horizontal scaling. A true disaster recovery plan. Probably a data sink which helps to monetise the forum. A true CI/CD pipeline, or CI at least.

I could be far off the mark but I doubt it very much.

A forum is a piece of piss to implement. But to run any online venture at scale requires a multi-disciplined team of engineers, QA and DevOps. What you may think of as simple changes may involve more complexity than you might imagine.

I’ll leave it there but I could go on…

Premier Icon tillydog
    Free Member

RetroBike gets 200k visitors per month compared with STW’s 1.5 million.

If you believe the analytics for hit rate, you should also believe the revenue estimate.

So what are STW towers doing with their

$2 to $5 million PA ?

Note, also that the hit rate and ranking are steadily decreasing.

Premier Icon Cougar

What can the devs be doing that’s more important?

Why not go ask Mark? STW Towers has an open door policy.

A forum is a piece of piss to implement. But to run any online venture at scale requires a multi-disciplined team of engineers, QA and DevOps. What you may think of as simple changes may involve more complexity than you might imagine.

Nail:head interface. And STW has (I think now) three devs who also have a daily churn job on top of actual developing development.

I appreciate that I might get a bit janky about this and that it’s no longer my concern. But in a past life I’ve also presented had all the same arguments as here, then I spent an afternoon having a guided tour being shown why I was naive.

STW looks basic. It is not.
    STW supports “why isn’t it like Other Site I Use?” volumes of visitors tenfold over.
    STW is a commercial publishing venture requiring the paying of actual salaries in order to stay in existence.

Is it perfect? Hell no, and likely never will be. But yet we’re all still here. Why?

Premier Icon Cougar

If you believe the analytics for hit rate, you should also believe the revenue estimate.

Retrobike shows the exact same revenue estimate on that site. Lest we forget, a site which apparently “is completely free incidentally, despite many people over the years offering to make a contribution.”

I’ve no idea whether their analytics for hit rate on Retrobike are accurate. But I know conclusively that they are for STW because I’ve seen the Google Analytics stats first-hand.

Premier Icon frankconway

gurnster – too true; you freeloader…
    The best things in life aren’t free – but you won’t know that until you start paying.
    My full subscription helps, in a small way, to maintain Singletrack as a viable business with a forum which allows you – who makes no known financial contribution – to comment FoC.
    Not, of course, that you will now subscribe – you know, pay some money; optimism has its limits.

Premier Icon Cougar

you – who makes no known financial contribution

If they aren’t blocking adverts then they are doing all that is asked of a forum member, that’s a contribution.

That said, (I wish I had the numbers to hand but) Mark is on record as saying there is nothing he’d like more than to switch off the adverts entirely because they’re a constant pain in the arse but a necessary evil to keep the lights on, and I thought the amount of subscribers required to be able to do that was surprisingly few.

Premier Icon dyna-ti

I suppose one of the main differences between the two forums is RB kind of mostly deals with 2nd hand kit, retro being old for the most part, and STW being more modern, cutting edge and up to date, which is nice reading about innovations in the cycling world.

———————-

Might describe RB as the forum for fuddy duddies, with an obsessive penchant for Orange Clockworks 😆

Handy wee benefit I dont think anyone will mind me sharing, is the auction watch search feature.

Searches all ebays(international) for cycling kit, so is quite invaluable for finding some bit of kit rare or hard to find, but it isnt limited to old stuff. Anything you want today you can search for, example mounts or suspension spares, but not just bike. If you select ‘All Ebay’ in category, you can look for anything you want, be that new car seats or something for the dog.

It can be a bit temperamental at times, I think it needs a bit of a tweak when the forum software changed, but it works 90% of the time.

https://www.retrobike.co.uk/auction/

Premier Icon gurnster75
    Free Member

@frankconway do you pay to help support STW as a viable business, or do you pay so you can make snide comments to free members?

Why do you feel the need to post negatively about free members.

Without free members there wouldn’t be many posts on here.

Stick to the members only forum or at the very least, save your delightful posts for full members topics if you’re repulsed by the thought of free members sharing the forum.

Premier Icon Cougar

We’ve never had these issues on RetroBike..

It can be a bit temperamental at times,

Which is it, then?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.