Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Broken external BB Shell
  • honourablegeorge

Anyone ever seen this? Noticed it on a friends bike last night while fixing other stuff, the crank & drive side BB is moving about – it still spins quite freely, but the external part of the BB on the drive side is moving relative to the frame. Not taken it apart yet, but it looks like the external part of the BB (it’s a Hope one, not on first set of bearings) has separated from the threaded bit.

I’m thinking this means that when it’s all taken apart, the threaded bit will be left in the frame as the rest of the cup just falls off. Thinking maybe some sort of expanding bearing remover to get that bit out? (before giving up and dremeling it)

thols2

I would just Dremel it carefully in two places and pry it out with a screwdriver.

sillyoldman

If the whole bearing shell has come off, then there will be no tension on the threaded part – may even come out by hand.

5lab

might it have simply spun the thread in the frame, rather than cracked in half? if it had cracked I’d expect there to be huge amounts of top-bottom movement as well as spinning (as there’s nothing keeping that side located relative to the frame)

honourablegeorge

5lab

might it have simply spun the thread in the frame, rather than cracked in half?

Possibly, but we are staying positive until it’s taken apart. Steel frame, so hoping the BB is the weaker bit. The cup does move up and down and side to side.

I would split it like a split crown race to remove by way of MAN tools.

parkesie
    Free Member

Could of been run loose and has worn the threads off bb and frame you know till you pull the crank

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve cracked one before, big slither of rock went up behind the chainring and smashed the shell.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.