Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Broken electric cooker or house electrical problem?
  • MrTricky
    Free Member

Our Amica cooker is a couple of years old. Just come back from holiday, clicked the switch on the wall back on and…….nothing. I didn’t realise that cookers don’t have their own fuse.

Checked the household fuse box and worked out it has a 45amp fuse, replaced that with a new one and still nothing.

The question is do I call on someone to fix the cooker or someone to check the household electrics? Will an electrician do both?

scotroutes

Are you sure it’s not on a fused spur?

stumpyjon

First you shouldn’t be replacing fuses unless the underlying problem had been diagnosed. Sounds like you need a new consumer unit if yours still has replaceable these and not MCBs.

Second it should be on its own circuit.

Most cooker related problems are due to oven elements blowing, our oven used to eat at least one a year although its been rather a long time since I last replaced it. I’d start there, they are generally cheap, easy to source and fairly straight forward to replace. YMMV.

leffeboy

Does your cooker have a clock and is it working?  If not then it’s likely the electricity supply.  If it is working then something is wrong with your cooker

You might find an electrician who can do both as cookers are fairly straightforward

timba
    Free Member

Warranty Terms and Conditions

Two year warranty if you’re inside that period
    They might offer a fixed price visit after that

What’s with the additional page detail…a simple link would do, as intended

MrTricky
    Free Member

If by a fused spur you mean there should be a fused switch, then no there is no fuse for the switch. The only fuse is on the house fuse box.

No clock on our cooker, but the oven lights, fans, rings and ring lights all fail to operate.

Yep, old style ‘replace the wire’ type fuses for our fuse box (except the cooker one).

leffeboy

No clock on our cooker, but the oven lights, fans, rings and ring lights all fail to operate.

Sounds like an electricity problem them.  It would be unusual for them all to stop working at the same time.

kormoran
    Free Member

Check the oven light bulb. I had a cooker that basically shut down if it blew

MrTricky
    Free Member

No fuse in the cooker from Amica’s online info. And no fuse where the wires enter at the back either.

Looks like it’s time for an electrician then.

Thanks for the replies folks

itstig

Some cookers won’t work if no time is set on the clock

prettygreenparrot

Time for a new consumer unit though. Fuses?

bruneep
    MrTricky
    Free Member

Ah, if only it had a clock…….it’s a simple device this one, no clock

revs1972
    Free Member

Ah, if only it had a clock…….it’s a simple device this one, no clock

Have you tried setting the clock ? 😉😀

mert
    Free Member

Or aligning the hanger?

creakingdoor
    Free Member

Cooker Control Units (the big cooker switch on the wall) are notorious for loose connections which cause arcing and damage to the terminations. This stops them conducting to the output side. Assuming all is good in your fuse board and the cooker isn’t toast (SWIDT) then that’d be a place to look, although it’s not for the faint-hearted as they can be tricky to terminate properly without repeating the same issue that caused the arcing in the first place. There would also be heat damage to the cables that would need rectifying. If you can loosen the two switch screws and ease it forward, if it has been arcing on the back you’ll smell it around the edges, it’s quite a distinctive smell and not pleasant tbh. That’s a dead giveaway for burnt terminals.

Flaperon

Checked the household fuse box and worked out it has a 45amp fuse, replaced that with a new one and still nothing.

Did you actually check the fuse for continuity?

To be honest, if you still have wired fuses and are at the point where large power-hungry appliances are now not working without a good reason it’s perhaps time to consider a rewire.

MrTricky
    Free Member

And it’s fixed 🙂

The problem? Wall switch was faulty.

However, now I know more about the fuse box I’m planning on getting the electricians back to upgrade that too.

Thanks for all the responses, I’m off to reset all the clocks that aren’t attached to the cooker (no, it still doesn’t have a clock), then out on the bike

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.