Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Broken down dishwasher. Assuming insurance wont be much help?
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Top of the range Bosch, 6 months outside 2yr warranty.
    Borked – something to do with main heater/pump thingy according to engineer (from a firm I trust). Thick end of £250 to repair. £500 for a new one.

AA home contents insurance covers only “Accidental Damage” to non-portable domestic electrical equipment, but excludes “mechanical or electrical breakdowns” which is what this is I suppose. So It’s probably pretty clear that Household insurance isnt going to cover this?

Suck it up sissy time isn’t it? 🙁

Stoner
    Free Member

Just confirmed with the engineer: heatpump element is shorted. element is inside heat pump. all one unit. whole thing to be replaced and refitted. £200 ish. 🙁

Why oh why do the parts have to be so complicated and pricey these days!>>! Grr.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Can you accidentally try and clean your liquid epoxy filled mug/cement mixer in the dishwasher?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cinnamon_girl

Have you contacted Bosch?

Stoner
    Free Member

Bosch just wanted to send an engineer out a week away whereas our local service company was able to make it in a few days. I wasnt planning on asking bosch to extend the warranty though if that’s what you mean.

And I never even used it wash a drivetrain 🙁

Although apparently some glass was found in there…so it may be hard to pin a manufacturer down to a defect.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Time to get a butler.

cinnamon_girl

Stoner – try speaking to customer service explaining what’s happened and how disappointed you are. Tell them that if it needs replacing it definitely won’t be a Bosch.

That’s what I tell Miele anyway!

superfli
    Free Member

Buy another Bosch from ebay. Plenty for sale out there for £50-£100 and will last a few years. Thats what we do. People flog em for fitted kitchens/dishwashers, so their loss is your gain 🙂
    Weve had 2 in the last 7 years (only just got our 2nd one), both Bosch (although any German one would do me).

Stoner
    Free Member

That’s what I tell Miele anyway!

Oh how the other half live, with their heated wingmirrors an’all! 🙂

I shall give them a call but have already instructed the engineer to order parts and crack on.

cinnamon_girl

😆

I used to be a Miele evangelist but not any more! Their more recent products have gone downhill quality-wise. Ex got all the Miele appliances and they had been running faultlessly for many years.

My newer washing machine and fridge/freezer have both needed attention after 2 years. Not acceptable!

No heated wingmirrors here though. 🙂

Hope it gets sorted, have you checked what warranty will be on the new parts?

superfli
    Free Member

With white goods, I try to live by the “Buy cheap and expect to replace fairly regularly, or buy expensive and expect it to last – try not to buy middle of the road”. We have Miele washing machine, cause I hate having to replace/move them b’stards and cheap everything else.

hora
    Free Member

From my understanding (EU law) the goods must be expected to work for a certain period – -longer than 2yrs.

Stoner
    Free Member

I have sent a grumpy email to Bosch customer services suggesting that they might get in touch with my engineers and arrange for the part to be sent free-of-charge. Will see.

Mentioned that we have an AEG washing machine and an AEG dryer that have been faultless for over 15 years too. One reason for spending all that dosh on a “good” one was to invest in at least a faultless 10yrs of service for the price. Wont bother doing that again. But wont buy cheap as I hate to see the waste of disposable whit goods.

ransos
    Free Member

Don’t forget that your contract is with the shop that supplied it, not Bosch. I would argue that a major part failure after 2 years is not sufficiently durable, put you’d probably need an engineer’s report to prove it.

Stoner
    Free Member

It was John Lewis.
    Cant be waiting around for a load of ****-kicking. I need the DW back up and running so I would have to try and claim back after the repair. Not easy.

drlex
    Free Member

Echo Superfli’s POV on domestic appliances.
    Not impressed with Bosch, after expensive (£600?) washing machine failed after four years- replacement Zanussi @ £229 is almost as old, and single issue (latch) solved in 2 minutes. Would recommend a Beko as a cheap D/W – under £200 and in its fourth year w.o. a problem., having replaced a £800 F&P dish drawer that was very poor, but staggered on for six years with service calls.

Stoner
    Free Member

Would recommend a Beko

God no! I dont want the lovely barn I built to be burnt down!

lasty
    Free Member

Unfortunatly Bosch aint what they used to be, most of the manufacturing is farmed out now – Spain being the most prevelant …

footflaps

There was a Sunday Times article absolutely slating Beko for deliberately stalling on recalls for goods they know are a fire risk. Would stay well clear of them.

mefty
    Free Member

To be fair to Beko if it causes a fire that burns your house down, you will be able to claim it on insurance.

br
    Free Member

But you can buy a Bosch D/W in John Lewis for £330.

hambl90
    Free Member

We had a beko , had problems with it almost straight away so took it back to the shop and exchanged it for a Bosch .
    No problems in seven years ( touches wood ) .

allthepies
    Free Member

Sales of Goods Act ?

http://www.whitegoodshelp.co.uk/eu-2-year-guarantee-sales-of-goods-act-gives-us-6-years-to-claim-for-faulty-appliances/

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?35724-Broken-dishwasher-22-month-old…….-***RESULT***

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/sogahome/sogaexplained/

“It is important to remember that a guarantee does not replace or limit a customer’s rights. Customers are entitled to raise a problem with you regarding a product for up to six years from the date of purchase (five years from the discovery of a problem in Scotland) regardless of the terms of any guarantee. Customers are entitled to rely on the remedies available to them under law (outlined in this guide) rather than their rights under a guarantee, if they wish.

This means that if a customer complains to you about an item that is not fit for purpose , does not match the description , or is not of satisfactory quality , you must deal with their complaint – you cannot force them to use their guarantee.”

I’ve used it (the SOGA) on a fridge freezer which went kaput out of warranty. Got it repaired FOC.

TooTall
    Free Member

It was John Lewis.

Didn’t you get an extended warranty with it? I had one a bit before you from JL and it had a free warranty for 3 or 5 yrs – can’t remember. It was a Bosch as well. (trouble free BTW)

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Broken down dishwasher. Assuming insurance wont be much help?’ is closed to new replies.