• This topic has 53 replies, 29 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Robz.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Broken carbon frame – would you accept a repair from insurer?
  • benman
    Free Member

But if he doesn’t sell it on he has had no loss and his bike still works perfectly because it has had a professional and guarenteed repair

Fair enough, but the repair lead time is 13 weeks (i.e all summer) so he has had to buy another frame in the meantime to do the events he has planned this summer. Pretty similar situation to the OP really. But even more out of pocket.

Akers

intheborders
    Free Member
    Would you want a brand new car rather than it repaired?

This argument, or any comparing a bike frame issue to a damaged car, is an unfair analogy.
    When a damaged car is repaired, the damaged parts are replaced with new ones, they don’t repair the components. Secondly, any considerable damage to the Monocoque/Unibody/chassis of a car (which is a fair equivalent of a bike’s frame) would see the entire vehicle written off.

paton
    Free Member

If you were getting a plastic bike fixed you might ask:

http://carbonbikerepair.com.au/carbon-bike-repair/10-questions

bigyan
    Free Member

I recall back when I broke a carbon frame, all it took was a letter from the LBS that it was not repairable and I got the money for a new frame. Can’t you get a nice letter from someone?

As said before see if the LBS will provide a negative assessment to back up your demand…

The insurance company will not care about a LBS assessment, they have their approved carbon repair workshops now (LBS assessment used to be fine, then they moved to dealing with Wheelies etc, now carbon repair)

Just like the car insurance industry.

I suspect the next thing will be market value paid on stolen bikes or total loss. (unless you insure new for old or agreed value)

I am curious as most bike manufacturers warranty would be void after a carbon frame repair. Whereas cars can be repaired at an dealer or approved body shop. It could be worth asking for confirmation in writing of the warranty situation? (from insurance and manufacturer).

bigyan
    Free Member

I’m not sure a repaired frame constitutes a like for like replacement.

Was the policy wording like for like replacement, or did it give the insurance company the option to repair?

steve_b77
    Free Member

My friend has just got a crack in his £5k Factor O2 VAM. Insurer is paying for repair only to the frame. He reckons he’ll only get about £1500 for it, when he sells it on.

More likely as it’s a not very well known brand than the fact it’s been repaired. I ride a couple of KTM’s a road bike and a 29er FS, I’ve also sold a few in the past that I’ve owned – not cracked or repaired – and their 2nd hand market value is shite as it’s not a mainstream brand.

oikeith

But if he doesn’t sell it on he has had no loss and his bike still works perfectly because it has had a professional and guarenteed repair

I assume also that the repaired frame will be resprayed too so the repair will be barely noticeable

tpbiker
    Free Member

More likely as it’s a not very well known brand than the fact it’s been repaired. I ride a couple of KTM’s a road bike and a 29er FS, I’ve also sold a few in the past that I’ve owned

Factor are a well known premium road bike brand who sponsor a world tour team.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Factor are a well known premium road bike brand who sponsor a world tour team.

Even at that though, I’d wager the 2nd hand value is significantly lower than that of a trek, giant or specialized because there is that much less brand awareness.

For example I’m not an avid roadie but nor am I completely unaware of the world of bikes and for my part I’d say factor are a small niche brand. I’d think of them as like a roadie version of nicolai. Certainly the chance of non roadie me going looking for 2nd hand a factor as a new bike are very low. The chances non roadie me would be looking to spend enough to make “only 1500” a relevant statement [so I’m guessing 3-4k without the repair?] on a 2nd hand one as opposed to just walking into a shop and stumping up for a new one (you’re well into high disposable income at that price bracket and that means fewer folk worried about looking for a bargain) are close to zero.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I think when selling a 5 k bike your market is probably not ‘non roadies’ tbf. Either way, the broken frame will hurt market value far more than the name will. The tcr is a well known make, and I reckon I could sell it for about half what they are going for on eBay when it’s fixed

Anyways, lesson learned about the fact they will up my premium now even if I don’t claim. Was not aware of that I must say.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

The tcr is a well known make, and I reckon I could sell it for about half what they are going for on eBay when it’s fixed

Yep, certainly the tcr isn’t from a niche “who” brand.
    So far as half the ebay price I’ve seen enough on ebay to know that could still be more than rrp. Especially if you get the repair done in a weird colour and sell it as a unique custom frame. Preferably with triple crown forks.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Especially if you get the repair done in a weird colour and sell it as a unique custom frame. Preferably with triple crown forks.

😂

iforwilliams
    Free Member

Yep, if you can get a reputable bike shop to write it off in writing, it will go a long way to pressing them for a full payout. Happened to me with no further questions asked, yer ‘onour…

Robz
    Free Member

Speaking as a fully committed fashion victim Roadie I would say a Factor is considerably more desirable than any major commercial brand and a used frame would attract a premium price as a result. And I ride a Cannondale.

No way I would be accepting a repair to a carbon frame as an insurance solution. Particularly not to a high end road frame.

I would never ever knowingly buy a frame that had been cracked and repaired. Not even if it was cheap.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.