Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Broken, but self healing reverb dropper???
  • eemy
    Free Member

I was out this lunchtime and took a small tumble. Didn’t actually fall off but managed to wedge the seat up my jacksy and half fall, half twist off the bike. So one big crack resulting in a bigger crack from my Reverb.

Initially I thought the post and seat had moved within the frame, so straightened it all up. Then realised the reverb was held tight in the frame but the seat would twist to the left (not to the right, just the left and would twist quite freely and go all the way round)

Just got home and it looks like it has healed itself. No more twisting. I’m pretty sure I must have broken it, but anyone had anything similar

tillydog
    Free Member

The head came unscrewed from the rest of the post.

If it’s all still OK (seems so) then give it a good, hard tighten.

If it comes loose again (or if you were brave/keen) you could unscrew it enough (half a turn?) to dribble some wicking thread lock into the joint (can’t remember the Loctite number, but *not* the normal stuff). The joint is where the post meets the head. Don’t unscrew it completely or it will probably* explode in an oily mess.

*Almost certainly

eemy
    Free Member

What I mean is, there must be something inside the reverb to keep the nose of the saddle pointing forward normally.

I gave it a good crack when I came off and after that the seat would swivel left, almost all the way round. So I could be pedalling along and spin like a swivel chair on the saddle. But now it looks like it has fixed itself…..maybe.

andyl
    Free Member

The little brass pins (3 of them I think) sit in grooves to stop it twisting. No idea what holds them still and i can’t imaging it would forcibly jump out of the grooves. Was it definitely the shaft turning and not the saddle clamp? If it’s the top colar that holds the brass pins then the suggestion above about it coming lose sounds like the most likely culprit

tillydog
    Free Member

What I mean is, there must be something inside the reverb to keep the nose of the saddle pointing forward normally.

The brass pins stop the sliding bit turning relative to the fixed bit, but the head of the post screws onto the top of everything (I don’t mean the collar where the fixed and sliding parts meet, I mean the lump of aluminium that the seat bolts to). It is normally done up tight, with threadlock, etc. so it doesn’t move. (You don’t even undo it when dismantling the post for a service.)

It *can* come loose, however which is what I’m pretty sure has happened:

The bit above the arrow unscrews from the bit below:

After your crash, you’ve just tightened it up again, and it’s gone back to pointing forwards.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Broken, but self healing reverb dropper???’ is closed to new replies.