Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Broken bone in hand..
  • clipper68
    Free Member

Just broke the bone in my hand, apparently a ‘boxers fracture’ the bone behind my little finger. Has anyone else done this and how long did it take to be able to use it properly. I don’t have cast, just taped together and ibuprofen.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Who have you been fighting?

rewski
    Free Member

avoid ibuprofen and nurofen, they’re anti-inflams so apparently not good for bone repair.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Simon

Did mine just over 12 months ago, fell going up the stairs at home 😳
    I was riding in around 6 weeks but nothing where I was likely to fall off. And then raced an Enduro at Innerleithen a few weeks after that, it still hurt but my hand worked OK.

Who have you been fighting?

That’s just what the triage nurse at A&E asked me.

skywalker
    Free Member

MTFU!

donsimon
    Free Member

I’ve done it twice and would concur with Luke.

seahouse
    Free Member

Yes i did this, could use it after a couple of weeks but had pain on and off for over a year. Bummer 🙁

bryan-g-

Broke the scaphoid in my left hand 20 years ago, it never mended and can be a bit sore in shit weather.

guitarhero
    Free Member

Broke the same bone on the 2nd Jan this year. Although mine was from a punch.
    Was supposed to keep the cast on for 3 weeks, but took it in less than 2 as I had a gig.
    Was riding the road bike the day after and the mtb 3 weeks later.
    Still sore though, but I’m not a girl, so that doesn’t bother me.

MikeG

I did the same a few years ago, unfortunately the doc in A&E didn’t notice the amount of rotation in the fracture so I’ve now got a lovely bump on the outside of my hand and my little finger sticks out at a jaunty angle when I clench a fist 🙁
    It’s fine now, nearly 6 years later, but it took a couple of years to get full strength and not get a twinge of pain when gripping hard.

Drac

avoid ibuprofen and nurofen, they’re anti-inflams so apparently not good for bone repair.

1) They’re the same drug

2) Reducing the swelling helps pain relief

3) Reducing swelling helps the healing process.

Northwind

I’ve done that a couple of times… Only once from fighting, honest! Was quite funny when they x-rayed the hand I’d just broken, and did a comparison shot of the other hand- i didn’t know I’d ever broken it, so was a wee bit of a surprise to see the old fractures.

Anyway… Not much to be done but wait to get better, was the story for me. Ibuprofen initially then switched to paracetemol after the initial swelling dropped, tried to get on fairly normally. Wasn’t on the bike at the time but wouldn’t have been riding, that’s for sure. I think about a month before i could manage the motorbike.

Rivett
    Free Member

Did mine 10 years ago. Didn’t take anything just had the fingers taped together. Was quite close to the knuckle and has healed bent. Let’s me grip the bars better now 🙂

rewski
    Free Member

@ Drac, all of the advice I was given was from one of the top hand surgeons in the UK, he successfully fixed my scaphoid, after a year of attempted union.

1) most probably, I’m not a chemist
    2) there’s other ways to reduce swelling, like ice packs
    3) I agree, but if a bone is fractured then it needs a good blood supply, anti inflams will prevent this.

thepurist

Did mine on 22 Dec – diagonal fracture across the 5th metacarpal. They just taped it up to the 4th finger and sent me on my way. That’s healing fine now but still grumbles with any pressure on it. Unfortunately I also managed to sprain my 4th finger in the same crash and that still won’t bend past 90 degrees so I can’t use the hand for anything that involves more than a 3 finger grip. I’ve just fitted some Ergon grips so I can rest my hand on the bars without too much pain. That got me back out on fire roads – it’s still uncomfortable but better than sitting at home feeling glum. I’m back in to see the quack next week to get the bad news about the sprain…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Broken bone in hand..’ is closed to new replies.