Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • broke the clip for my disc pad retaining bolt!
  • jimilindley
    Free Member

Hi All,

Whilst removing my pads from my rear Avid Elixir 5, I broke the clip that sits on the end of the retaining bolt, is this important? if so are they available anywhere?

Cheers

James

mactheknife

Dunno, i lost mine about a year ago, been to spain twice, loads of use in this country and not a sniff of the bolt coming loose of its own accord.

jimilindley
    Free Member

Nice one Mac, doesnt seem like its completely necessary, but you never know! Good that someone has used it so often with no problems, will keep an eye and check frequently!

andy7t2
    Free Member

lost mine about 2 years ago, no problems until glentress this year and retaining bolt worked loose and fell out, not good losing your back brake at high speed.

You can buy 2 new retaining bolts from the internet for about a fiver or if you get a set of avid pads they come with a new retaining bolt and clip. If not pop into your local lsb they might have one from an old set.

jimilindley
    Free Member

Ok, well maybe I’ll wait til I get some new pads tomorrow then, coming from superstar, hope they’ll have the clip!

Cheers

legend
    Free Member

hope they’ll have the clip!

Separating spring – yes, clip – no

jimilindley
    Free Member

Bugger, I’ll nip into the LBS then, bloody stood on the thing as I was crouching down!

anto164
    Free Member

Just my experience..

I snapped the c-clip that held the bolt just in case it went loose.

a week later i was blasting down one of the degla blacks, and had to slam on as i was going at a fair pace. Brakes on, i keeo going. the pads had bounced out of the calipers about 20metres before my braking point. Luckily i found the spring and the pads in the mud, and ran some wire through the caliper to hold the pads in.

Get yourself some new pads, the bolt and clip comes with them.

eshershore
    Free Member

you don’t need the circlip 😉

put a drop of blue loctite on the screw-thread of the pad pin before installing, let it cure overnight, go ride

coatesy
    Free Member

E-clip from a car spares shop or engineers’ suppliers is a much cheaper alternative to anything you’ll get from a bike shop.

JohnnyPanic

Also lost mine months ago. Blue threadloc on the bolt.

Northwind

It’s just a wee standard jesus-clip. (so called because that’s what you say when they ping off across the garage). Shouldn’t be hard to find a replacement but personally all my Oros are supposed to have them, but don’t. There are any number of other places where bolts could come loose and spoil your day that don’t have retaining circlips on after all.

Northwind

Oh, disclaimer- I’ve never tried this with Avid brakes, considering all the other things they do wrong it’s entirely possible that the circlip’s essential to keep the bolt in 😉

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I’m also running Oros and since the first pad change I’ve been riding without the circlip and it’s been perfectly fine. Just the nip the bolt up and you’re good to go

jimilindley
    Free Member

Thanks every one, loctite it is then if I cant source a jesus/C/E clip

fourbanger
    Free Member

Running without the clip is a bad idea as the caliper is subject to so much vibration. Loctite is a bad idea as you’ll find when you strip the head out of the allen bolt next time you come to undo it. As it’s just a retainer and not subject to any direct loading, a piece of wire, paperclip etc, twisted closed will do the job until you replace your pads next and get a new clip.

akak
    Free Member

I broke the same part / same day. It’s nice to know that the new pads include the clip but with the price premium over superstar i’m looking at the silverline packs they have on amazon for £3…if I can work out which one I need.

PaulD
    Free Member

Just switch to a split pin a-la-Shimano lowly groupos and Magura Julie.

Use a stainless steel one if you can, but even carbon steel will be OK for the short time it needs to be there until you get a new circlip.

PaulD

JohnnyPanic

Loctite is a bad idea as you’ll find when you strip the head out of the allen bolt

Not loctite, threadlock.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘broke the clip for my disc pad retaining bolt!’ is closed to new replies.