Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Broke that. Need a new bar…
  • Alex

[url=https://flic.kr/p/nKrfZh]Add it to the pile of broken things..[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Entirely my fault. Through it roughly to the ground where it failed in an attempt to pivot bike and rider. Instead it stuffed the end into me but i’ll probably live.

I do like the Spank Spike Evos. Probably happy to just buy a replacement. But there’s the ‘call of carbon’. For £100 or less is there anything that’s

a) 770-780mm
    b) low rise like the evo. No more than 5% rise
    c) Similar sweep to etiher evo or Easton bars.

Even £100 seems a bit blooming profligate for a set of bars, but with £10 off @ CRC it’s a possibility

BTW I’m going to take this bars off and sell them to the highest bidder as ‘Enduro Specific bars, specially manufactured for Right Hand/Left Hand use as designed by some pro you’ve never heard of’ 😉

kayak23

Raceface sixc are very nice, if a smidge over your budget..

Alex

Yeah I had some of those on my old Rocket (the 725mm ones). They are really nice and light, but crikey they’re expensive. I’m tempted tho. As the green sort of matches the frame. Sort of 😉

kayak23

Yeah, but all carbon bars are that expensive. It is ridiculous but there you go…
    I’ve got Easton Havocs.
    750mm. Nice, a little cheaper maybe but not quite so pretty.

Alex

I’m wondering about going a bit shorter. Have the evo on my 29er HT and a boo bar 780mm on my Nukeproof Mega. But the trees in the FoD don’t half get close! Still think I’d rather go wider and cut it down if I can’t get on with it.

785mm bars. What has the world come to!

matther01
    Free Member

Would have suggested struts…but sweep is only 6 degree I think.

Alex

I liked the look of those struts – morvolo do really decent kit – but the sweep looks a bit odd. Not sure I want to take an expensive punt on them.

matther01
    Free Member

I picked up mine for £47 new off eBay. Needed less sweep as my TT is quite short. Pretty good so far…but very lightweight so not sure just how well they’ll hold up. At 740 you could have had mt zooms.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

At least its cheaper than smacking F3F into the hillside .

rOcKeTdOg

Yeah, but all carbon bars are that expensive. It is ridiculous but there you go..

MtZoom were around £80 last time I looked

Alex

@eddiebaby. Been there, collected the remains in a bin bag 😉

@rocketdog – not quite wide enough…

citizeninsane
    Free Member

CRC are doing Thomson downhill bars for £85. 780mm, low rise (but aluminium). Not sure, but think someone said the ‘may’ code will get you £5 off £50 aswell. Might be talking out my arse there though.

nickc

Renthal Fat bar?

the carbon ones are things of lust, the ali ones have that cool gold-ish finish… 🙂

what’s not to like

Alex

Gold you say? 🙂

ratherbeintobago

Gold you say?

It’s quite a green-y gold:

nickc

Not even you could break that Al.

Alex

Green and Gold. Crikey it couldn’t be better.

Just to be clear I’m not breaking stuff through being super-gnarly or anything like that. It’s just clumsiness 🙂

Alex

And to prove it, I made up some words: http://pickled-hedgehog.com/?p=3141

Northwind

Winstanleys are doing Crank Bros Iodine carbons for £80- 780mm wide, nice shape, 200g. How strong they are, I couldn’t tell you yet, I don’t trust any crank bros product with moving parts but these seem good.

Alex

Update… hotlines very generously offered me a new set of evo’s at 60% of RRP as crash damage replacements. So I’m going with the sensible, cheap option. Quite unlike me 😉

brant
    Free Member

Ah – too late – our new bars are just in…

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/HBOOKNUCK/on-one-knuckleball-handlebar

brakes
    Free Member

ooooh – that’s a nice price!
    will they cut down to about 710mm?

Alex

They do look great value. I might have a set for the mega…

Northwind

Ooh, like that.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Broke that. Need a new bar…’ is closed to new replies.