Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Broke My Six Year Old's Heart Tonight :(
  • GrahamS

My daughter lost a tooth today.

Unexpectedly, just before bedtime, she said in a stern voice “Daddy I NEED you to tell me the truth: is it you that puts money under my pillow”

An hour of sobbing later makes me think perhaps honesty isn’t always the best policy.

I’m now sat downstairs, with a large glass of port, lamenting the lack of magic in the world. 🙁

allthepies
    Free Member

Barsteward.

imnotverygood

Hold on. Are you telling me there’s no such thing as the Tooth Fairy 😯

sweaman2
    Free Member

So…. where are you on Father Christmas 😀

Sweajnr is only 2.5 so this is still all to come.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was 3 when my stepdad pointed out that he paid for the presents and there was no father Christmas. She’ll get over it. There is no magic in the world. It’s a cruel and unfeeling place. Dog eat dog, every man for himself with no room for the weak of body or mind!

craigxxl
    Free Member

No pudding for your for the rest of week

bearnecessities

The tooth hurts.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That was a fairy obvious pun.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There is no magic in the world.

There is. There is Daddy. Father. Whatever he’s called, he’s magic. This is just one thing, there will be so many more things where Daddy will be that superhuman, that magician, that wonder that makes a child smile, learn, laugh and love.

That’s real magic.

midlifecrashes

One of the better junior board games with a gimmick. Put the magic back.

johndoh
    Free Member

Thumbs up CF 🙂

wrecker
    Free Member

There is. There is Daddy. Father. Whatever he’s called, he’s magic. This is just one thing, there will be so many more things where Daddy will be that superhuman, that magician, that wonder that makes a child smile, learn, laugh and love.

That’s real magic.
    Great words. Whilst I never had the pleasure, I’m working damn hard to ensure wreckerjnr does.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Sorry but your daughter is a bit dim. I’d still believe in tooth fairies and Santa today if they were delivering cash and presents £££££££

johndoh
    Free Member

And thank you – the post reminded me to put £1 under the pillow of our 7 yr old – we forgot a couple of weeks ago when she lost her last one 🙁 oops!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

@ bear necessities, I hearby crown you…..

You can’t handle the tooth..errr

Enamel get me coat….

jam-bo

Just tell her about the tooth fairies from pans labyrinth..

Toddboy
    Free Member

You complete fool!

You’ve just been had. Obviously your daughter already knew that there isn’t a tooth fairy. So now she has the money for a tooth AND you now need to spoil her because you hurt her feelings.

She’s playing on your heart strings……..and you fell for it 😈

Now she is feeling content and you’re feeling sorry for yourself on here.

Shame on you. No bike riding for two weeks as punishment!

GrahamS

So…. where are you on Father Christmas

Dodged a bullet there. I told her that I couldn’t say that fairies definitely weren’t real. I could only say that I’d never met one. But then I’d never met an Eskimo, or a dinosaur, or a…

“Father Christmas?”

“….err… Yeah.. or a polar bear or..”

There is no magic in the world.

We read “Where The Giants Hide” – a book about a young girl upset when she realises magic, fairies, mermaids etc aren’t real. That helped. Sounds like you should read it too 😉

There is. There is Daddy. Father.

You are a lovely bloke. Cheers for that.

I went with:
    “Three years ago you didn’t have a sister. Now you do. Where did she come from?”
    “Mummy made her”
    “Well that’s pretty magical isn’t it. Making a whole person.”

GrahamS

Sorry but your daughter is a bit dim.

Nah just six. From what I can tell she is only the second kid in her year to have figured it out.

brakes
    Free Member

That’s real magic.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Nah just six. From what I can tell she is only the second kid in her year to have figured it out.

Or the others are just too smart to let on?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

In an attempt to introduce my lad to the greatness of Roald Dahl I read him the big **** off crocodile (something like that) he just pointed out that the crocodile should have been properly disciplined and made to account for his actions rather than being fired into the sun and killed. A brief silenced followed where I had to come up with some quite astonishing bullshit to cover the gap. Hey ho.

ianfitz
    Free Member

I had a similar experience a few years ago when my daughter asked the same question about Santa. She had only just started school. I hedged bets and asked what she thought. She laid out one of the most reasoned arguments I’ve ever heard. ‘He wouldn’t fit down the stove flue’ ‘ you always lock the door’ ‘no way he can cover that distance in one night’. It went on. And on. A complete and utterly irrefutable display of logic in such quantity and with such thought. Then at the end she looks up and says – so dad is he real?

I decided in that moment that if I ‘kept the magic alive’ then she would probably never trust anything I ever said again. So beginning with an explanation that lots of people believe and would be upset to find out she got to know. It was still in her interest to play along though as she still did get presents!

GrahamS

Santa will be trickier because for pretty much her entire life we’ve had her waving at our SantaCams* whenever the red light comes on.

(Motion detectors for the burglar alarm)

maxray
    Free Member

I will encourage my 2 to believe until such time as they work it out. No need too crush their dreams just because I am bitter and twisted!

Really surprised ( tho thinking of this forum maybe not) that people would scotch such magical stuff at the earliest opportunity

GrahamS

I always said that I’d happily play along whilst the magic is alive, but if they ask me outright then I’ll tell them.

So I did.

I think by the time they get to the stage of asking directly then they are ready for the truth, even if they don’t like it. 🙁

Ambrose

I am ‘Santa’ every year for my niece and nephew. Sooner or later one of them will twig what’s going on. Whilst I love the romance I’m uneasy about the deceit.

maccruiskeen

My brothers son asked him the dreaded question this week

“Where do babies come from?”

My brother got half way through his first sentence when he was interrupted

“actually….. do you want to play Paper Scissors Stone instead?”

anagallis_arvensis

My 5 year old was watching a nature documentary recently and said “you mated mummy didnt you” “Yes son yes I did”

lunge

That’s real magic.

That Flashy is bloody lovely.

GrahamS

“you mated mummy didnt you” “Yes son yes I did”

Love it. “Yes son, we did it it like they do on the Discivery Channel” 😀

TheBrick
    Free Member

Hold on. Are you telling me there’s no such thing as the Tooth Fairy

I’m more concerned that he has been rummaging around under my pillow! Thanks for the money though.

WillH

Our four-year-old is too young to be losing teeth yet, but I’ve got my excuses lined up for if I’m ever caught: the tooth fairy was really busy tonight and asked me if I could help out… Should be ok with that 🙂

GrahamS

Well waddya know, apparently there is still a little magic left in the world.

ocrider

In France it’s a mouse rather than a fairy that looks after tooth/currency transactions. We had to explain that there exists an international agreement between mice and fairies for our daughter because she was so worried that it wasn’t true. Fortunately for us, she had her last tooth fall out before brexit, that would have made things awkward.

loddrik
    Free Member

It’s ok, she can still believe in the big guy in the sky. Infinitely less plausible and yet billions still believe in such nonsense.

GrahamS

Funnily enough, in true STW-style, I did divert our discusion on to religion.

I told her it was okay to believe in fairies if she wanted to.
    By pointing out that she believes in God and I don’t and that’s okay.

Cougar

She’s learned an important lesson about life: adults can’t be trusted.

I don’t have kids, and I get the whole “bit of magic” thing, but I wonder which hurts more; that the tooth fairy doesn’t exist, or that the two people she loves more than anything in the world and trusts implicitly have been systematically lying to them all their life.

Dunno what I’d do if it were me. Though I’m never going to be in a position to find out.

GrahamS

Lying to your kids is all part of parenting I’m afraid Cougar.

I did explain to her why. I said “When young children first start losing their teeth it can be a bit scary, so we make it fun instead by telling them about the tooth fairy.”

She seemed to get that.

P-Jay
    Free Member

We’ve had to have ‘the chat’ with the eldest – it was getting silly, he’s 11 in 3 weeks

“so Easter Bunny?” “No”.
    “Tooth Fairy” “Sorry, nope”
    “In fairness I had my doubts, I saw you sneaking a quid into my bedroom one night – at least Father Christmas is real” “sit down son…”

The only one he believes in now is “Mrs Price” she runs the local kids prison and may be a witch, he believes wholeheartedly in her because a few years ago when he was being unbearable he got a very official letter in the post summoning him to prison – and I drove him to the gates of Cardiff Prison with his bags packed, he was lucky enough to get an 11th hour reprieve on appeal.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Broke My Six Year Old's Heart Tonight :(’ is closed to new replies.