• This topic has 47 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • Broadband restircted due to overuse :(
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

Poop. Had a could of emails from ISP stating that they’ve been over their fair usage limit – it’s 50gb on a rolling 30 day period, and we’ve been hitting 58gb.

Yesterday I started our hardware firewall logging data usage and discovered that my eldest daughter managed to use 560mb in 3.5 hours watching videos on her iPad, not too far behind were my two younger daughters who managed about 350mb each on their tablets!!
    I used 89mb all day 🙁

So I’m going to limit either their time limits or bandwidth but it’s all too late as I’ve had another email this morning stating that my BB has been limited to 128k due…. minor inconvenience for me during the week but a PITA for streaming movies over the weekend. Children….. pah 👿

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Get a better broadband deal,there are loads out there that are genuinely unlimited.

Drac

You can usually buy extra but better still is the good IP offer unlimited for only a few £ more which when you have a house full of gadgets connecting is the best option.

Your usage for this month is 163.47 GB
    157.02 GB downloaded
    6.45 GB uploaded

cranberry
    Free Member

That fair usage limit is pish!

Tell your ISP that they have been unfairly using 100% of the money that you give them every month, and thus you are now reducing that amount by 100% to teach them a lesson.

martinhutch

As said, plenty of broadband providers are genuinely unlimited. Sky, for example. Never had any bother with them, despite two children who have to be prised off youtube.

flyingmonkeycorps

50gb? Crikey! We live in Hull (locked to KC) and I’ve just signed up to a package that gives me 750gb!

Drac

I’ve just signed up to a package that gives me 750gb!

750Gb I live in Northumberland I signed up to a package that offers unlimited.

wwaswas

I live in Northumberland I signed up to a package that offers unlimited.

I expect they’re working on the principle that rural bandwidth is so poor you’ll never get more than a certain volume of data down the wire in any given month 😉

Cougar

plenty of broadband providers are genuinely unlimited. Sky, for example.

Last time I looked, and I grant you it was a while ago, the only truly unlimited package was Sky. They may well not be the only ones now, but they’re definitely literally unlimited and they were the first to do it with modern connections.

nbt

dear christ do you people go out at all? I am currently debating whether to increase my 10gb limit as I’ve come close to it a couple of times in the past twelve months – probably due to a visiting nephew armed with an iPad…

sharkbait
    Free Member

Hmmmm. Interesting info, thanks guys. We’ve got fibre coming to our area in a couple of months so at that point I’ll be looking to change ISP.
    Think I’ll give them a ring to ‘discuss my options’ which will basically consist of me telling them to pish off, or waiting for fibre and then telling them to pish off!

Drac

I expect they’re working on the principle that rural bandwidth is so poor you’ll never get more than a certain volume of data down the wire in any given month

Maybe but I do not so bad given I haven’t got fibre.

ast time I looked, and I grant you it was a while ago, the only truly unlimited package was Sky.

BT has been at it awhile now too.

Drac

dear christ do you people go out at all?

Yes but thanks to the wonders of modern Technology I don’t to be in the house when things are downloading.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Take the tablets off them?

Replace with a book that includes words and folding pages?

Just sayin like.

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Tell me about it!!! Been with BT 2 months 40 GB limit , Id always been unlimited and didnt have a clue about usage, half way through month one warned I was at 38 GB ,I`ve had to move onto unlimited, when I looked into it 4 in the family were watching everything On Demand and that eats it and to cap it off I switched my ipad on which I never use and my 10 year old son had 10 movies downloading all at different stages!!

luffy105
    Free Member

I have a 25GB limit through Kingston Cooms too and rarely go near it despite being a pretty heavy usage family….

…Until my father in law comes to stay and then the usage goes though the roof and I usually get the warning email within 3 days of them arriving warning me the limit is near. No major issue though as its only a couple of quid per gb overage. No idea what he does on that ipad of his.

jambalaya
    Free Member

That’s a very low “fair use” limit, I would challenge that.

Interestingly here in Paris” satellite” tv is delivered via Internet so all programmes are streamed, I’ll check the usage …

jon1973
    Free Member

Just sayin like.

Well, this is STW, someone was bound to say something like that eventually.

Stoner
    Free Member

750GB??!??!! WTFLOL!!!!11111

That would take….*counts fingers, toes, carries the one*…106hrs of constant download on my line 😯

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ve just signed up to a package that gives me 750gb!
    750Gb I live in Northumberland I signed up to a package that offers unlimited.

Yeah, but Hull is a notorious internet backwater with no competition 🙁

I think I need to get an HD TV to make the most of the fibre bandwidth mind.

Jamie
    Free Member

That would take….*counts fingers, toes, carries the one*…106hrs of constant download on my line 😯

*awaits corp/edu user to comment they can download 750GB in the time it took me to write this sentence*

Drac

Interestingly here in Paris” satellite” tv is delivered via Internet so all programmes are streamed, I’ll check the usage .

In the UK we call that Cable.

D0NK

BT reckon their “unlimited” is actually unlimited, I asked if there was a fair use, the lady on the phone said no, but iirc she did give me some other dodgy info so dunno if it’s bollocks. I was using around 10 of our 40Gb a month until kids started getting hold of the ipad and it ramped up, was going to switch but they offered me an upgrade for the same price, don’t think I’ve gone over 20Gb since as we got the kids their own none-wifi tablets 😕

was surprised that bbc iplayer on the TV doesn’t use your BB quota (again source was lady on the phone so could be BS)

Drac

BT reckon their “unlimited” is actually unlimited, I asked if there was a fair use, the lady on the phone said no, but iirc she did give me some other dodgy info so dunno if it’s bollocks

Well my usage is up there that’s from the 1st to 15th no they don’t cap you their unlimited is unlimited.

sharkbait
    Free Member

That would take….*counts fingers, toes, carries the one*…106hrs of constant download on my line

So about 1.25hrs/day for each of my three girls ….. oh crap 🙁

nixie

was surprised that bbc iplayer on the TV doesn’t use your BB quota (again source was lady on the phone so could be BS)

Think that is BS. If its using the internet connection then its is using quota.

Drac

Not through Sky TV it won’t but through your internet it will.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Not through Sky TV it won’t but through your internet it will.

Eh? Sky TV just downloads it though your BB connection.

Drac

Oh! Sorry it does not sure what they the hell I was thinking there. 😳

bails

52GB used in the last month here, with plusnet, no limits.

flicker
    Free Member

50gb a month?!

Average about 150 gb a week here, using Plusnet fibre 80/20. Totally unlimited package similar to the sky offering.

Very little peer to peer, mostly streaming HD from iplayer, netflix, icefilms etc Some surfing, gaming and video skype thrown in for good measure.

D0NK

I had assumed my BT telly box downloaded it through the BB connection too but the woman on the phone reckoned it did not count towards my usage limit. Like I said no idea how accurate that is.

LsD
    Free Member

I’m a corp/edu user and can download 750GB in the time it took me to write this sentence.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I had assumed my BT telly box downloaded it through the BB connection too but the woman on the phone reckoned it did not count towards my usage limit.

Try unplugging the network cable and see what the download speed is 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m a corp/edu user and can download 750GB in the time it took me to write this sentence.

Bless you.

Harry_the_Spider

WOWSERS! I have only exceeded my 10Gb limit once in 9 years. I clearly am not watching enough grumble.

Do you lot find buying jumpers difficult with your over developed right arms?

Jamie
    Free Member

Pro Grumble User over here.

jock-muttley

At the moment we are on a Mobile Dongle so we are limited to 15Gb a month (we are changing to hardwired broadband) so data use policing is vital in our household.

We had similar issues in that both of the kids thought that ALL the 15Gb allowance was theirs exclusively so would attempt to use it all up in one go to effectively deny the other one, nice of them we thought – ALL their electronics were removed for 2 months, they were confined them to their rooms for a week and grounded for two (with only “books” for entertainment eeeeeeugh!), will admit we got sick of them moping about the house to they were encouraged out about a week and a half into the grounding.

Just as an aside and I know it’s not just ours either but why do teenagers seem to want to constantly hound adults for entertainment??? When we were teenagers the less contact and adult attention we had with adults the better…..

The simple answer this issue we found is a very simple change the password (both adults know the sequence) for the router every couple of days on a rolling basis, and monitor the connection status like hawks and lock the dongle/router down to only allow recognised devices access to the network.

We also limit the times they can use electronics this is simple enforced by the expedient of removing the dongle when we are not in the house.

It takes 2 mins as for the adults we only have our laptops (our iPhones have unlimited 3G) to connect. Everything else can plug into our lappies (kindles, iPods, etc).

The Kids seem to think that they will get unlimited when we get wired broadband but we like the peace and silence so much (they are now out a LOT) that this regime will continue.

Jamie
    Free Member

(with only “books” for entertainment eeeeeeugh!)

Not even Kindles?

You, Sir, are history’s greatest monster!

jock-muttley

Not even Kindles?

Kindles to an adult are a reading device to a teenager they seem to be something you watch films and play games on.. ergo verboten

The rule was if it required any application of Ohms law in its operating principle then it was removed!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Broadband restircted due to overuse :(’ is closed to new replies.