Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Brizzle/ Bath locals…
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

What is the quietest and safest route:
    From the Bath to Bristol bike path to head towards Ashton Court/ Leigh Woods?
    or
    Temple Meads station to head towards Ashton Court/ Leigh Woods?

It seems like the Bristol to Bath bike path takes you quite out of the way if you want to head towards Ashton Court. If the bike path is the best option the what is the best and safest way to get from Temple Meads to Ashton Court?

I know there must be hundreds of better places to ride but I am just curious how best to get to Ashton Court from the Bath direction.

Thanks and apologies if this is a very daft question!

IA

Might be a better way, but if it was me…

From temple meads head along clarence road (keep the river on your left), onto commerical road, follow that along till you pick up the cycle patch by the river off cumberland road (is obvious), follow that all the way along to the bridge over the river that’s half blocked off (dunno it’s name, again it’s obvious, by the warehouses etc). then follow “festival way” cycle path signs that take you past the alotments and into the bottom of ashton court. Climb up the hill to the trails.

That make sense?

EDIT: this http://goo.gl/maps/KgWjv

but i’d cross the two roundabouts like a pedestrian to cut them out.

nickjb
    Free Member

I would go along Portwall lane. The BB path brings you out just above Temple Meads on Friary so it’s easy to cross the roundabout. Then go over the Prince St bridge and either in front or behind M-Shed. If you go in front it’s a bit more interesting but watch out for the the train tracks, lots of people come a cropper here and a cyclist was killed recently when they hit their head and fell in the docks

map

fuzzhead
    Free Member

as per IA’s excellent directions/map if you want AC – otherwise carry on along the tow path (under Brunel Way) and climb up through LW if that’s where you want to be (depends how well you know LW)

DanW
    Free Member

I was in Bristol today cycling elsewhere from Temple Meads station and it seemed a mess of very busy multi-lane roads which I didn’t really fancy riding on if at all possible.

Thank you both for the excellent maps and directions!

Is there a better way to get to the Temple Meads area from the Bath direction without following the cycle path all the way by Warmley and Fishponds? I.e. is there a safe quiet more direct route to Temple Meads from around Bitton/ Saltford. Most of these roads look pretty busy so maybe sticking to the cycle path is the best route?

Thanks again!

nickjb
    Free Member

You might be able to follow the tow path on the canal but it runs out well before the centre as is pretty wobbly. I’d stick to the cycle path. It’s traffic free and you don’t need to stop every 100 yards at a junction so generally works out quicker and easier. Watch out for kids at school chucking out time, though. It’s actually quite a nice ride.

The map I have linked to (shamelessly stolen from IA) is off road all around Temple Meads on dedicated cycle paths and shared pavement

DanW
    Free Member

Thanks Nick, that makes sense. On a map the bike path looks like a long way round but as you say it probably works out more practical in the end.

Thank you!

csb

There’s a better way from the station to the Mshed. Go out of the station by the back door (straight ahead rather than out left to the forecourt), down the ramp and across the car park to Temple Quay, then head left at the newsagents down to the Redlciffe Way roundabout. Cross at the pedestrian crossing, then again onto Redcliffe Way. Cycle up here past the St Mary Redcliffe church, straight over this roundabout then duck into the harbour along the cobbles past the boatyard. Weave through the pub tables (admire the Banksy rowing death on the side of the Thekla) over the bridge then follow the water right around to the museum. Then follow the path along the front, crossing the railway line after the Olive Shed restaurant which brings you to the river path all the way to the bonded warehouses and the old bridge, which is the Festival Way.

iffoverload
    Free Member

if you fancy something off the cyclepath you can go along the river Avon footpaths into town quite a nice when its not raining;) but not the quick route.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Fantastic! Cheers IA and nickjb 😀 . Gotta be worth a bump for anyone else fancying a trip to the DMR Pumptrack Challenge and wondering how the hell to negotiate a safe cycle route from Temple Meads.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Brizzle/ Bath locals…’ is closed to new replies.