Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Brittany Ferry car dimensions strictness
  • geoffj

Any one have any experience of how strict they are with dimensions / racks?
    A change in plans means that I’d like to put the bike rack on the back of the motor, but I haven’t booked one.
    I’m happy to pay the extra, but it would be nice to know the chances of winging it before I give them a call.

izakimak
    Free Member

Iirc you pay for upto a certain length eg under 5m or something similar so if your still within that limit just turn up and take a chance. If you exceed it ring and ask if the sailing is not full then they may just turn a blind eye.

jon1973
    Free Member

Looks like there is a small supplement for a bike carrier, even if it falls within the allowed car length.

https://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/booking-info-correct-vehicle

Personally I wouldn’t risk it for the sake of a few quid.

ampthill

I have seen a different ferry company with a large L shaped stick against a 4WD arguing that it was over height. But not by much

It was and I had no sympathy with the owner

Personally I wouldn’t risk it. I think when I booked with yet another company there was a handling fee for changing the vehicle spec

saladdodger
    Free Member

I use Brittany ferries 3 times a year for the last 5 years so I can give an informed answer

I never ever ever pay the cycle rack charge with my picasso because even with the rack it is still under there standard length.

If and a big if there was an issue I would just cough up but it has never happened

I will be winging it again in august as I did in may and I will in october

geoffj

Cheers guys, I reckon I’ll be winging it!

antigee

think height is more the issue as loading is planned by height – seen cars pulled out of line a few times with fingers being pointed at roof boxes / racks

totalshell

just romp up and let them make the decsion.. they ll either charge you more or not..

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

If it was the height one I’d pay. We just returned on Friday and when we booked, it was without a roof box and we then bought one which nudged the height just over the 6ft mark by an inch or so. Rather cough up in front rather than go through faff at the port and/or take the roof box off the roof, damaging the car etc with a big ship shaped object.

We did sneak it into an underground car park in Vannes though with a 1.9m height restriction but literally by millimetres!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Brittany Ferry car dimensions strictness’ is closed to new replies.