Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • British summer's
  • slackalice
    Free Member

I recall last summer to be one of the better efforts in terms of sunshine, warmth and prolonged dryness, not quite the heady heights of ’76, but certainly a goody darn sarf anyway.

Which got me to thinking as I look outside this morning to see grey, rain and the prospect of more rain to fall all day… Have we ever had two consecutive warm, dry and predominantly sunny summers?

Even if I take my conscious memory from the age of 10, I cannot recall two, let alone three consecutive fine summers in the last 41 years. In fact, I think I could count the total number to be less than 10.

Perhaps we could up anchor and move to somewhere just off Gibraltar?

paladin

When I was a kid, every summer lasted about 10 months, loads of sun, little rain, beach every day …..

Costa-del-moray, can’t beat it 😀

slackalice
    Free Member

Haha! 😀 shades of Cider With Rosie!

Which is why I have taken my ‘living memory’ from the age of 10! 😉

jam-bo

Sunny and dry down in the west country.

teasel
    Free Member

Ah, I remember ’76 – Elvis popped off and, as kids, we tried Cream Eggs for the first time, which my brother promptly refused because he believed they contained real egg – we laughed.

As far as I recall, it was nice the following year – Jubilee – and street parties were everywhere. Luckily escaped by walking Sca Fell and others that year.

It happens…

willard

When I were a lad, summers (plural) never had an apostrophe. Sorry, but unless that was ironic, you deserve a slap.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Have we ever had two consecutive warm, dry and predominantly sunny summers?

’05 & ’06

both dry and somewhat sunny, ’06 in particular.

wwaswas

British summer’s

woodsman
    Free Member

Would you be happier to swap the apostrophe for a capital at the beginning of summer?

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

But then we’d be missing the object.

Drac

2004 and 2005.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Check the met office drac, ’04 was a wet one, albeit warm.

Drac

Actually I was thinking of 2003 anyway. 😳

woodsman
    Free Member

It would be interesting to see what the summer was like after a flood year? I think 1967 was a flooded winter in the South, so perhaps Summer ’68 could be interesting to add into the mix of hypothesis?

Northwind

Perception of summers is all over the place anyway- like, if you have a brilliant spell right at the start of the summer, like in 2012 here, by September everyone’s forgotten about it. Last year was actually pretty good but it didn’t have that many outstanding gorgeous days so it didn’t really stick in the memory.

All I know is, this last winter lacked snow which is shit, so I demand sunshine.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

Last year was great in Scotland, but it started late too – winter seemed to linger longer into spring and it was pretty cold throughout April and into May

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Lest hope that the weather is indeed better than the grammar. Painful title.

miketually
    Free Member

Ah, I remember ’76 – Elvis popped off

That was ’77.

teasel
    Free Member

So it was – should’ve checked. I have memories of it being the year before the Jubilee for some reason.

It was a nice year, though, as I remember…

*checks*

failedengineer

Elvis died in’77, not ’76 ….

teasel
    Free Member

Keep up, FFS

miketually
    Free Member

It was a nice year, though, as I remember…

’77 was a great year for me. Almost 7 months of it spent all tucked up warm and cosy, followed by 5 month of crying and pissing my pants.

Drac

77 was red hot but I spent most of it in hospital after smashing my skull open.

scotroutes

In the Pentlandia Alps, maybe. They’re still skiing in the Gorms.

TBH, we didn’t have much snow at street level here either. No XC skiing round Loch Morlich etc.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

One wet day, or even a few, does not make a poor summer. Since the winter deluge it’s been remarkably nice to be honest. I think that most people focus on the negative: One wet day and that’s it, crap summer…..
    Personally I think we get more decent weather than bad.

It’s not even summer yet FFS!

buck53

’05 and ’06 is correct. Probably the best period of my formative years, started with Blur v Oasis in the charts and ended with England going out of Euro 96. Cracking summer’s at both ends, good times.

Small boys, jumpers for goalposts, wasn’t it?

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

2003 and 2006 was quite warm here in Bolton. Last year was lovely from June through to Early September. Was lovely yesterday but it’s quite cold and wet today. Hoping it warms up. Warm and overcast I can deal with. But cold and wet just no. 2012 we had constant rain.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

2013 was a cracker, not always scorching, but consistently dry. Loads of outdoor time in the garden and on the bike 😀 It went right through till October, I remember night riding @ 16*c, wasn’t until the end of October it all fell apart and the monsoon seasons started 😯

I’d take another 2013 every year please bob!

STW did a good article on just how good it was too 8)

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘British summer's’ is closed to new replies.