Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • British Open 2013 – Muirfield – any tips for winner ?
  • grantmccall63
    Free Member

I am taking my sons (10 & 16) to the golf on Friday. I used to play a lot and got down to 9 handicap but have hardly played in the last few years and hoping this will renew my enthusiasm for the game.

Anyone got any tips (and reasoning?) for the Championship this year ? I will post my tip following deliberations throughout the day today. Pity the wind is not going to blow !

BurnBob
    Free Member

Garcia – looks like there will be little wind which will suit his accurate iron play to keep it on the fairways. His putting is also currently in form. He like fast solid courses of which Sawgrass is an example. Think it’s finally his time.

willber
    Free Member

I think the beauty of the British Open is that anyone could win it – and over the last 10 years there have been quite a few unexpected winners. If your havina flutter, at least from before the start of play, pick some long odds. I had Louis Ousterhouzen (sp?) at 250 to 1 when he won it.

mtbfix

Loving the fact that next to this Muirfield thread is a golf tuition ad with a girl model. Oh the irony!

scotroutes

Is that a 5 irony?

mtbfix

Whichever it is, she ain’t going to hit ‘longer, straighter and more consistent’ unless she takes her eyes off the camera and gets them locked on the ball.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Lee Westwood to come third!

One of my sons is working at The Open. On first practice day he said that it was very windy. His mates suffered a little bit of sunburn but were cold (windchill) at the same time! Classic links summer conditions. So be prepared clothes wise and sunblock wise.

Reports that rough looks brutal. So winner needs to be a straight hitter. Highlight so far (apart for on course view and being paid!) having fish and chips with Bo van Pelt and Schnaedeker on Monday night. BVP talked to them for 20 minutes which made them life long fans!!!

Muirfield tends to get the champion the course deserves and let’s hope so again.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I think the beauty of the British Open Open

Rockape63
    Free Member

Could Poulter raise his game for this, now his pal Rose has just come thru in the US?

I also thought Garcia has a chance, but its so tough to call. Its not like so many sports where only a very few have a realistic chance!

To the OP….you will find it difficult with with young Lads to follow people, due to size of the crowd. It will be difficult to see much, so I recommend that you get out to a more remote part of the course, find a good spot and spend a lot of the day there. Make sure you all have hats & sunglasses as the glare can be extreme…..and lots of cold drinks! (

Edric64
    Free Member

Some one from here as cycling is the new golf? must be somebody who played recently !

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Edric, the maybe some truth in cycling becoming the new golf. When golf went thought a boom 10-15 years ago (remember the reports on why GB needed so many more courses and then dramatically went bust due to lack of demand etc!), there was the same BS marketing and rip-off pricing. Buy this and it will make you a better golfer instantaneosly, wear this necklace and it will add 30 yards to your drive, this ball flies further and stops quicker, this £200 waterproof jacket is VFM and perfect for golf etc….sound familiar?

loum
    Free Member

If this is “tips” as in betting, then Paddy power are paying out on the top 7 for each way.
    Seems worth a go on a couple of outsiders to me.

BurnBob
    Free Member

You just have to look at what happened to Loch Lomond Golf club to realise that there is only so much money in golf to go around. I beleive that worked on a debenture system from members which I believe is what is going to happen with the new GWest resort which is quite frankly mind boggling, hopefully not similar problems there due to it being financed by Scotland’s richest man. Ryder cup next year should boost local economy.

grantmccall63
    Free Member

Have gone with American Matt Kucher (long, straight and a good saver round the green) and Brit Chris Wood (some form on links). Have no expectation of either of them doing anything but if they make the cut I will consider myself a winner.

I have major reservations about Muirfield as a venue given their policy towards lady members but couldn’t turn down free tickets !

Anyone else willing to stick their neck out with a selection ?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member
    Lee Westwood to come third!

Damn, didnt want to be correct on that one!

Well played Phil. Classy last round and last put!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘British Open 2013 – Muirfield – any tips for winner ?’ is closed to new replies.