Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • British Lions?
  • Ed2001
    Free Member

I don’t get it. You take the best players from the home nations and create a “super team “then you travel abroad Aus, S.A, NZ etc and play that nations team,but winning is not expected . Why is the Lions such a big deal and success is so rare or the idea that beating a single nation such a big deal.England, Wales have beaten some of these teams on their own ( not always I know but they have had wins, England even won the world cup I believe ) so surely with a Lions team it should be easy.

thegreatape
    Free Member

England, Wales, Aus et al spend months/years training and playing together. The Lions have a couple of weeks before the tour starts. That’s potentially the biggest factor.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Firstly it’s a great honour to selected – to be recognised as the best against your competitors from Wales, Ireland, Scotland, Wales and England. It’s a special tour taking place only once every 4 years so opportunites are rare. The Lions existed before the Rugby World Cup and so has a great tradition. Going “on tour” is something rugby players and supporters always look forward to a special atmosphere. As a player and a supporter you join forces with what are normally your opponents to create a unique atmosphere.

Building a team in such a short period is difficult, hence victories are hard to come by as @thegreatape says above.

Ed2001
    Free Member

Ok I can see the honour bit due to them only being every 4 years and being picked is a recognition of being the best of the best it just seems to layman surprising that the best of 3 nations struggle to beat a single country although take your point about no time to train together which is obviously more important in rugby than maybe some other sports.

TooTall
    Free Member

Ed – few other sports even attempt anything like this at an international level. I take it you’ve not played team sports before, because the common thinking and teamwork is what makes or breaks a team and that takes a lot to build and maintain.

anagallis_arvensis

Wins from England, scotland and ireland against the big southern hemisphere teams away from home are very rare. Wales havent won a test in the southern hemisphere since 1066. Test series wins by the northern hemisphere teams are rarer still.

andyl
    Free Member

Wins from England, scotland and ireland against the big southern hemisphere teams away from home are very rare. Wales havent won a test in the southern hemisphere since 1066. Test series wins by the northern hemisphere teams are rarer still

I’m not sure ruby had made it down to the southern hemisphere in 1066 😀

Ed2001
    Free Member

Ed – few other sports even attempt anything like this at an international level. I take it you’ve not played team sports before, because the common thinking and teamwork is what makes or breaks a team and that takes a lot to build and maintain.

Yes like you and every other soul on here I have played team sports, however like most people on here not to professional level, but I do take your point that is hard for the lions to play as a team with such little preparation, so I can’t help thinking why bother if the lack of preparation is such a hindrance. You can probably tell I’m not that keen on rugby although I do remember enjoying playing it at school.
    Thanks for all the posts as I do get the Lions thing now , I think.

spacemonkey

so I can’t help thinking why bother if the lack of preparation is such a hindrance

Erm …

1) being selected as one of the best to represent a joint home nations team
    2) respecting the history of the BL (it has a kind of parallel with the Ashes for example)
    3) pitting yourself against the best southern hemisphere opponents in a unique team environment

… makes it pretty damn special.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

They are known as the British and Irish Lions btw.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘British Lions?’ is closed to new replies.