Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • British goods
  • Bunnyhop

I have managed to purchase 3 British made items in the last couple of weeks, so feeling pleased that it’s not all stuff from China in the shops.
    Pair of good quality socks from Laura Ashley,
    Some fabric, designed and printed in a local mill, into which I made a bag,
    a baking tray, brand ‘wonder bake’.

footflaps

There should be a huge blip in this month’s balance of payments due to your outlandish consumerism.

Have a gold star and go to the top of the class.

😉

johndoh
    Free Member

Laura Ashley plc (LSE: ALY) is a British textile design company now controlled by the MUI Group of Malaysia. It was founded by Bernard Ashley, an engineer, and his wife Laura Ashley in 1953 then grew over the next 20 years to become an international retail chain. Sales totalled over £276 million in 2000. Its products can be described as quintessentially English.[1]

Junkyard
    Free Member

Jesus wept you try to something for the UKPLC* and still get flamed on here

I commend your efforts

* trademark of the right wing who like to think we are business rather than people

Drac

That’s owned Johndoh.

johndoh
    Free Member

Agreed. No idea where it is made. Money still going overseas though.

iolo
    Free Member

I was going to get on On One 456 .Oh wait 😥

PaulMc
    Free Member

You shouldn’t worry Jane. Jules’ patriotic spending in the Ringers very week no doubt makes up for it. 🙂

mightymule
    Free Member

I bought a British made car once.

Shame that the engine seemed to have been made of cheese instead of metal… 🙁

konabunny
    Free Member

Thank you for supporting the farmers…?

chewkw
    Free Member

I have been asked by a local guy in the Far East to buy him two Made In UK/GB/England/Scotland causal shirts with collar. I have no problem buying them so long as they are within budget of £40 per shirt. I really want to buy him just to thank him for looking after my father when he was poorly

Let me simply say this … you are shite i.e. British clothing manufacturers. Bloody hell I am really embarrassed to say I cannot even find anything that is made in the UK at all. Pissed me off badly after wasting three hours of my life searching … is UK a province of China now?

Oh ya … I am no right wing btw nor left. I just want to buy something special for someone. I don’t care who own the brand so long as it is made in UK …

😡

Bunnyhop

I know many people (including myself) that still manufacture British made goods, made out of British products, in my case mainly fabrics.
    The time to make these is such that often we take home below minimum wage.
    My friend for instance bakes fantastic cakes, she too ends up being poorly paid and yet is so talented. Most of her baking equipment is British.

It’s just the way things have gone, everyone wants something for virtually nothing imo.

molgrips
    Free Member

Most one-person industries haven’t been very profitable since the industrial revolution. Machines make stuff cheaply but they also need large capital investment.

chewkw
    Free Member

Drac – Moderator

http://www.stillmadeinbritain.co.uk/clothing.html

Thanks for the link.

Errmmm … nothing within budget so I guess I need to search again perhaps this time I will simply go for Designed in UK … 🙄

Drac

Or merge the budget.

CountZero

I have no problem buying them so long as they are within budget of £40 per shirt.

So, chewkw, how long do you imagine it takes to actually make a shirt by hand? There’s sourcing the materials, cloth, buttons, stiffeners, etc, marking out, cutting, stitching…
    How much do you make an hour? Do you actually imagine that someone could make a shirt in half an hour, which they’d need to do to make any kind of profit, on £40, then consider a garage charges sixty-seventy quid an hour…

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

..and we can’t use machinery to make shirts in this country because..?

hora
    Free Member

Laura Ashley? Sadly not a English company. MrsH used to be a buyer for them pre-Malyasians

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Spot on CZ, when you can’t compete in Mass Produced (child labour int mills, or paying people nothing while stifling imports) then you go for value add. I was having the conversation with someone here in Tassie that thought you could set up some Ikea factories here and kick off manufacturing, no idea how he though we could compete with China/Vietnam etc.
    Instead use the assets you have with IP – designers, artists and craftsmen and make something that adds more value.
    At £6.31/hr you need to be making something with more quality and appeal, considering you can buy a T-shirt for less than that…

dogthomson

Mamnick – Made in England shirts from £70

The chap that owns the brand likes a bike ride too.

M&S are doing a ‘Best of British’ range at the moment too, eye-wateringly expensive though.

stumpy01

We are currently getting quotes for New double glazing and doors. One of the things swaying my decision is that one of the firms use Windows and doors designed and manufactured in the UK.

misinformer
    Free Member

Things made here are usually crap and as likely made by people who generally give a toss about as much as their overseas counterparts, as consumers we are sold the story of Great Britishness 🙄

mikewsmith
    Free Member

One of the things swaying my decision is that one of the firms use Windows and doors designed and manufactured in the UK.

That would be a consideration but only after quality and reviews, Made in Britain is not a quality stamp.

crispo
    Free Member

🙄

FWIW Mrs Crispo is part of a family business which has been manufacturing here for the last 50 years and still going strong. The pride themselves in the work they do and its what sets them apart from some of the mass produced tat they compete against. Pay your money and take your choice I guess.

Drac

My windows were made in the UK and still going strong they also come with a lifetime guarantee. A guy fits them himself his brother makes the windows the run at bare minimum costs so prices are low.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

FWIW Mrs Crispo is part of a family business which has been manufacturing here for the last 50 years and still going strong. The pride themselves in the work they do and its what sets them apart from some of the mass produced tat they compete against. Pay your money and take your choice I guess.

and what makes them good is a reputation based on that, not the country in which it happens.
    Putting rules out as to country and quality is a mistake

crispo
    Free Member

It was more a reply to this….

Things made here are usually crap and as likely made by people who generally give a toss about as much as their overseas counterparts

Not that I’m saying some overseas don’t take pride in their work .

chewkw
    Free Member

CountZero – Member

So, chewkw, how long do you imagine it takes to actually make a shirt by hand? There’s sourcing the materials, cloth, buttons, stiffeners, etc, marking out, cutting, stitching…
    How much do you make an hour? Do you actually imagine that someone could make a shirt in half an hour, which they’d need to do to make any kind of profit, on £40, then consider a garage charges sixty-seventy quid an hour…

By hand? hmmm … going back to pre-industrial revolution? No one make a shirt entirely by hand apart from my mother when I was a kid. Even my mom used Singer sewing machine. My shirt had 4 pockets (2 top and 2 bottom) to carry sling shot (catapult), small rocks, marbles, and fishing lines and hooks.

Okay, hour cost is high here … oh well … death to British manufacturing if they don’t invest in machine. 😆

dogthomson – Member

Mamnick – Made in England shirts from £70

Looks good but let’s see … cheers.

batfink
    Free Member

There’s the same debate going-on in Australia at the moment, although they are still drinking the “Australian made = better quality” coolaid.

Saying that – there’s just been a very expensive lesson over here, courtesy of Ford and Holden.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Saying that – there’s just been a very expensive lesson over here, courtesy of Ford and Holden.

Holden/GM is an interesting example of shit where ever they make it…

stumpy01

mikewsmith – yeah, obviously if the UK made one’s are crap then I won’t be going near them, but from what I have seen of them, they seem just as good if not better than the other ones we have seen.

Looking online, a lot of window fitters seem to recommend them.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yep, “Made in the UK” doesn’t mean much anymore.

“Made in Germany” however…

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

I ordered a leather NATO-style watch strap on Monday, natural/undyed leather, 24mm wide, stainless steel hardware and red stitching. It arrived first thing this morning, beautiful thing…the leather is great quality, sheer craftsmanship and £24.99 postage paid. Made by a guy called Alex in England.

http://www.yellowdogwatchstraps.com/

Clover

I run a small designer knitwear company and do all the pricing.

We make stuff that is unusual and distinctive. It’s made with hand operated machines. We can change the designs quickly and alter patterns easily (if, for example, the black yarn needs a slightly different pattern to the blue) – to knit our designs with a fully automatic machine would require cutting edge five figure machines and then each design change would be expensive in programming time. To justify it we’d have to sell huge volumes, but our stuff is fairly niche so I can’t see an economic argument to scale up that far. Not to mention that I think by the time we cost in the price of investment we’d not be any cheaper.

Our prices match other designer labels (yes, we do do a dress that costs the same as an Enve rim but we also do simpler things) but I am often puzzled when I look at other similarly priced labels and find that they’re manufacturing in the far East. I don’t get what the justification is – if they’re charging that much surely they can afford to reduce environmental impact and pay minimum wage?

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Just been in ikea and noted the duvets are uk made

JoeG
    Free Member

I wouldn’t look good in a dress, even a $1500 custom made one! 😉

So I’d rather have the Enve rims, which are made in Utah, USA.

iolo
    Free Member

Laura Ashley English?
    Born in Merthyr Tydfil and her first shop on Machynlleth.
    Then she had her factory in Carno.
    If you cut her in half shed have a red dragon emblem running through her like a stick of rock.

bensales
    Free Member

I think Mr Clarkson pointed out quite well, that British manufacturing is far from dead, it’s just different to what we imagine.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmcmqTAu6b8[/video]

And there don’t seem to be any shortage of shirts made here either

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=british+made+shirts

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘British goods’ is closed to new replies.