Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • British cyclist fails in-competition drugs test
  • spacemonkey

Could be pretty damming given recent events.

More to follow.

damascus
    Free Member

I’ve just seen that too.

Named as: Simon Yates fails drugs test, report suggests

Read more at http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/racing/leading-british-rider-fails-drugs-test-report-suggests-223048#r6XHHoVeogXIeRzY.99

I’ve really enjoy watching the two brothers. I hope it’s a mistake and it’s a recently banned item and just a bad management but………..

spacemonkey

It does indeed appear to be Yates. BC not denying it for a start.

unklehomered
    Free Member

I know given recent years this can be a stupid thing to say but the idea that Yates would dope does seem a stretch… but who knows.

I hope it’s a false positive or change to list as above…

puddings
    Free Member

According to the race radio twitter feed, the team doctor failed to file asthma TUE forms. Hell of a screw up if true

gwaelod
    Free Member

Does every pro cyclist have asthma?

xyeti
    Free Member

Yes every single Pro rider suffers, ask the team Doctor, cough cough,

I did envisage this, in a post earlier today 2 Months before the Olympics, I’d like to say that smug Aussie **** knows what he’s doing, but some one would label me racist or a biggot so I’ll just call him a ****, I won’t use the C word,

And no it’s not Crocodile

Northwind

I thought terbutaline doesn’t have any positive effects for non-asthmatics?

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

As already mentioned…… Another pro cyclist who suffers from asthma????!!!! The number of pro’s who ‘suffer’ from this…..it must be a medical concern for those who promote cycling as part of a healthy lifestyle. Perhaps it just at professional level as no one I cycle with 2 times a week suffers from it.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Perhaps it just at professional level as no one I cycle with 2 times a week suffers from it.

I know a few who do, really hard to spot until they have the inhaler out.

Trekster

It’s on tv news now…

mikewsmith – Member
    Perhaps it just at professional level as no one I cycle with 2 times a week suffers from it.

I do as does my son & daughter and the doctor I was biking with on Sunday + many more but not ” all ”

sparksmcguff

Theres an air of inevitability, still hope its an admin oversight, but not looking good.

lunge

I have asthma and cycle. Mind you, it not done my climbing much good, I’m still slow.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Most of the asthma drugs have no effect if you aren’t asthmatic.

And i reckon you’d have a far higher incidence of asthma in the general population if the general population actually did some bloody exercise.

scaredypants

I think there’s quite a lot of “blueprinting” of parameters for athletes – seems in my limited (non-cycling) experience that there’s a lot of hypothyroidism in pro athletes too

wwaswas

Team statement

onehundredthidiot

My gp said I’ve got exercise induced asthma.

The cold air gets deeper into the lungs faster so doesn’t get warmed. As a defence the lungs don’t open as well.

Well that’s how it was explained to my simple mind.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I have exorcise induced asthma (plus the normal kind) as well. Mrs FRC has exorcise induced asthma too.

scaredypants

exorcise induced asthma

I get that, only during spirints though

genesiscore502011
    Free Member

1 in 12 adults suffer from asthma in the UK . Certain cycling teams have a third or more of its riders in/on asthma treatment. It surely raises a question. which or what question??

mrlebowski
    Free Member

exercise induced asthma

It’s a condition that exists & is well know, however it is surprising how many pro cyclists suffer from it….

I hope this is a genuine case of a missing bona fide TUE…………….

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Has anyone ever seen a pro athlete* using an inhaler?

*It’s seemingly an issue in many sports.

Trimix
    Free Member

To ride faster you need to get more oxygen into your blood. Its not surprising that a lot of Pros use medication to achieve that.

Taking it for asthma or not will still open up your lungs.

If your career, mortgage, car payments all depend on it you will take it. Afterall if your Doctor gives it to you its not cheating is it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

exorcise induced asthma

Even I know how to fake it that I have asthma as the test s just to you have a bigger breath in the evening than in the morning

There Is clearly a massive skewing to professional cyclist for asthma rates and you need to be pretty naive to think its all genuine

scotroutes

I sometimes get a wee cough if I’ve been pushing on a bit. I just assumed that was a normal physiological reaction to exercise (I’ve heard it called a Testers Cough?) I’ll have a word with my GP, show him some links to all these pro athletes and see if he’ll prescribe me something.

Haze

8)

jonba
    Free Member

genesiscore502011 – Member

1 in 12 adults suffer from asthma in the UK . Certain cycling teams have a third or more of its riders in/on asthma treatment. It surely raises a question. which or what question??

Posted 20 minutes ago # Report-Post

mrlebowski – Member

exercise induced asthma

It’s a condition that exists & is well know, however it is surprising how many pro cyclists suffer from it….

I hope this is a genuine case of a missing bona fide TUE…………….

My wife has asthma, 99% of the time you would never know. She can handle moderate activity fine. The only time she ever really needs her inhaler is when doing very strenuous exercise, she has a cold or is at altitude. You may find that the reason more pros are diagnosed asthmatic is because they notice when they are riding hard. I wonder how many undiagnosed asthmatics there are in the population.

taxi25
    Free Member

As this article explains Ashma amongst athletes is real not imagined. I developed exercise induced ashma when I gave up smoking, and started running and cycling properly. But it only startd when I returned from a warm climate to live back in the UK.
    http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/dec/28/asthma-elite-athletes-study-swimmers-cyclist-eid

forzafkawi
    Free Member

For me it’s not a question of can you cycle with asthma, more how does someone who supposidly suffers from asthma get to the pinnacle of the sport? The whole area of TUEs is a bit iffy if you ask me.

Northwind

forzafkawi – Member

more how does someone who supposidly suffers from asthma get to the pinnacle of the sport

Medical treatment.

Also, motors in their bikes.

taxi25
    Free Member

If I use my medication properly and my Ashma is controlled I feel fine. As far as I can tell I’m not at any real disadvantage. It’s probably much the same for the pro’s. But if you gave me a choice of being Ashma free and being able to bin my inhalers I’d bite your hand off !!! I’d imagine Yates, Froome ect would feel the same.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Northwind – Member

forzafkawi – Member

more how does someone who supposidly suffers from asthma get to the pinnacle of the sport

Medical treatment.

Exactly. If it’s a banned substance it should be banned for everyone.

metalheart
    Free Member

I develop exercise induced exhaustion, what can you proscribe me for that?

And whilst your at it, can you give me something for eating induced lardiness too…. 😳

Trimix
    Free Member

Well if the Doctor prescribes it for your “Condition” its not cheating is it 🙂

metalheart
    Free Member

I also suffer from a low hct level. I can’t perform as well as others that don’t suffer from this. Surely there must be something I can take to remove this disadvantage?

metalheart
    Free Member

And a genuine question, if terbutaline ‘only’ works for asthmatics, why is it on the banned list?

philjunior
    Free Member

And a genuine question, if terbutaline ‘only’ works for asthmatics, why is it on the banned list?

I was just thinking the same. I would guess it’s twofold, first any drug will have potential side effects and whether it has a performance benefit or not some non-asthmatics will believe it will and take without medical supervision/in massive doses. Second it may have no proven benefits, but still may enhance the performance, so they ban it as there’s no legitimate use for it unless you suffer from a particular condition.

It doesn’t seem that far fetched that more pros would have asthma diagnosed than the general population. Also I would imagine the numbers would be higher than 1/3rd if there was a druggy advantage to be had.

Keva
    Free Member

I developed asthma from smoking years ago. when I stopped smoking and started getting a good dose of physical exercise it all cleared up. weird that eh?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘British cyclist fails in-competition drugs test’ is closed to new replies.