Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • British Cycling tells me my member account already exists
  • aracer
    Free Member

Aaaaaagh! Trying to join the local cycling club my son is in (had a very fun morning at the BMX track yesterday), and when I try and enter my details at British Cycling it picks up on my name and DOB and tells me the member account already exists. So I click on the “Login” button, and it has an option for “I’m not sure if I’ve registered before or I can’t remember my details”, under which I have the options “I don’t remember my password” and “I don’t remember my username / membership number”. The trouble is, the latter wants my e-mail address, and there isn’t an option for “I don’t remember the e-mail address I used”! To be honest I’m not entirely sure I ever gave them an e-mail address, it was 12 or 13 years ago I was last a member.

Given they’ve recognised me from the details I’ve already entered (and won’t actually let me re-register with those), why on earth can’t it give me details using them – for instance letting me know the e-mail address they have on record? I’ve tried all the ones I can think of I might have been using back then (most of which I no longer have access to anyway).

Bike forum? I suppose it is about biking…

aracer
    Free Member

Wow – just found an old BCF (yes it’s that long ago) membership card. Not even pressed out of the letter, so presumably never used to race with, hence I suspect that’s the last time I was a member – and actually 15 years ago.

Can’t believe they had stuff on the internet then, so despite now knowing my membership number, I’m not convinced they have an e-mail address for me to send details to, despite telling me they’ve sent an activation e-mail to it – if they do it’s not one I currently use.

What a load of pants.

butcher

Check your spam mail. These things usually recognise you from the email address you’ve entered. It wouldn’t go by your name and DOB because that’s not unique (perhaps it is for you, who knows, but it’ll not be for everyone). The email address is the one thing that belongs to you and only you.

revs1972
    Free Member

Pick up the phone? Assuming there is a phone number to ring that is ?
    Sometimes useful when the computer says no

aracer
    Free Member

It tells me it doesn’t recognise the e-mail addresses I’ve tried – I think I’ve tried all those I’ve ever had now.

It wouldn’t go by your name and DOB because that’s not unique (perhaps it is for you, who knows, but it’ll not be for everyone).

I’d be extremely surprised if it wasn’t unique for me. But then that’s the whole point – British Cycling assumes it is unique, as it won’t let you register a new account with the same name and DOB, so if there is somebody already registered with the same details as you, it won’t let you register!

fubar
    Free Member

sounds like it’s time you had a new birthday !

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘British Cycling tells me my member account already exists’ is closed to new replies.