• This topic has 64 replies, 53 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by MSP.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • British Cycling ‘Strongly Recommends’ No One Rides Their Bike During The Queen’s Funeral
  • Mark

UPDATE 13/09/22 17:17pm: British Cycling have now removed the recommendation that no one rides their bike during the funeral from their official advic …

By mark

Get the full story on our front page at:

British Cycling ‘Strongly Recommends’ No One Rides Their Bike During The Queen’s Funeral

Support us from less than £0.06/day and help us keep the content flowing by becoming a full member.

imnotverygood

3….2….1….

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cyclelife
    Free Member

Could be the best day on the trails, quiet and great weather- I decree that I shall ride my trusty steed on Monday.

Stainypants

I assume this is stop the daily mail headlines or do think the police might arrest anyone cycling during the funeral for causing offence. I plan to up a mountain on my bike or walking. The only people that will see me will doing the same.

scotroutes

Beyond satire.

K

What have the BC press office said about telling people not to ride thier bikes?

weeksy

They better not show up at 417 !

convert

British Cycling strongly recommends that anybody out riding their bike on the day of the State Funeral does so outside of the timings of the funeral service and associated processions, which will be confirmed later this week. Once published, we will share the details of those timings on this page.

IMO BC really overstepped the mark with this. There was just no need for them to state an opinion. There will be people who have strong opinions about not getting swept up in the funeral. There will be people with significant issues with funerals triggering personal memories. There will be people who live alone who just don’t want to be morbid alone watching tv. Being out on their bike might well be the best place for them.

My Remembrance Sunday tradition is a contemplative ride – I see no reason why this would not be appropriate on Monday for those that wished to.

chipps

BC seems to have been frantically trying to backpedal on that bit of advice and it no longer appears on its main page. The damage appears to have been done, though 🙂

hot_fiat

Acutally BC, you know what: get stuffed! Even as a bit of proud Monarchist this is b011ocks. Prescriptive stuff like the really boils my wee.

thepurist

I’d been pondering whether to join BC or CUK lately, this has helped that decision.

martinhutch

I’m now rather pleased to be out of the country this week. It’s gone insane!

convert

BC seems to have been frantically trying to backpedal on that bit of advice and it no longer appears on its main page. The damage appears to have been done, though 🙂

I’m not so sure now – if you keep refreshing the page the heavy handed ‘advice’ comes and goes. So it must be on one server and not on a 2nd.

neilthewheel

I’d been pondering whether to join BC or CUK lately, this has helped that decision.

CUK, patron HM the Queen, also emailed to tell me how sad they all are.

robertajobb

They can go fhook themselves with an orb and sceptre.

What British Cycling should be doing is tackling head on the fundemetal reasons why we have such utterly shiiite access to go ride bikes in the countryside – that being exactly because of the monarchistic system in Britian that stole land from the masses, displaced tens of thousands (not giving a toss whether they subsequently stsrved to death) and divvied it up amongst royalist cronies.

dissonance

CUK, patron HM the Queen, also emailed to tell me how sad they all are.

Saying they are sad is fine (although I expect Private Eye would be able to fill an entire issue with whatever they call the marketing whilst pretending to be sad section) but telling people not to ride is somewhat different.

robertajobb

And imagine any other organisation where the head personally bank rolls an accused paedophile to an estimated £12 million to help ensure they never have to face a fair and proper trial. THAT’S the British monarchy that the sycophants around the country are fawning over.
    It makes me sick.

jonnyboi

Rank incompetence. Even the official advice is that there is no need to cancel sporting events. They have managed to piss everyone off royalist or republican with this one

TomB

Left BC this year, no regrets….

Gunz
    Free Member

People dying is sad, I get it, but the level of virtue signalling on display over the last few days is astounding. See you on the trails Monday.

voodoo
    Free Member

What worries me is some people who represent cycling can come up with this rubbish. Makes you wonder if they are fit for purpose.

ac282

This makes no sense. Anyone who might bothered will be inside watching TV.

malv173
    Free Member

Utterly ridiculous. There’s also an amateur football club in Sheffield that is likely to be disciplined for arranging a friendly match on the day if the funeral.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/football-club-finds-way-around-24984629

The free nation stricken by Stockholm syndrome. The free nation where defenders of free speech are outraged by folk protesting. People proclaiming pride in the country which has possibly perpetrated more crimes against humanity than most others.

nickc

I was trying to clear the last jump on Heart of Darkness when it was announced she’d died, I feel it’s what she would’ve wanted. I’ll probs be riding on Monday.

gougedeye
    Free Member

Surely there has to be an end to this sycophantic grovelling somewhere?

malv173
    Free Member

Riding bikes is disrespectful, playing football is disrespectful, but informing people they may lose their jobs isn’t…

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/sep/13/king-charles-staff-given-redundancy-notice-during-church-service-for-queen

J-R

Meanwhile BC‘s embarrassment has reached the national media:
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/sep/13/worthy-of-the-stasi-british-cycling-in-queens-funeral-u-turn-after-ridicule

Really it’s a bit of a storm in a tea cup – a stupid decision at BC and the chance for a justified rant before ignoring it. The people I feel sorry for is everyone staying at Centre Parcs, who were told they had to leave for the whole of the Monday.

cheekysprocket

Sooooooo, no cycling to work for me on Monday? Does BC advocate driving my car to work to be more respectful instead?

devash
    Free Member

This is bonkers advice from BC and too right they’ve rowed rack but the Centre Parcs one is on a completely different planet of lunacy. W t actual f?

MoreCashThanDash

I’m sure the Daily Mail types would have been delighted to be held up on their journey to watch the funeral by a bunch of those cyclists who don’t pay road tax or gave number plates.

rickmeister

As a Brit living in Germany, no cycling for me on Monday too?

matt_outandabout

Left BC this year, no regrets….

☝️

It sums up BC to me. Incompetence and living in an echo chamber of thier own making.

MoreCashThanDash

It sums up BC to me. Incompetence and living in an echo chamber of their own making.

Generally this, but on this occasion I’m willing to hope it was a high profile body of an often maligned minority pastime trying to be seen to do the right thing, and badly misjudging part of the original message.

I’m with Cycling UK

Olly
    Free Member

Bikes

Are

Not

nessecarily

Toys.

Have the DVLA or Highways england issued any advice as to whether people should refrain from driving around?

Perhaps Clarks and Schu could band together and release some advise about walking about too.

BC doing their best UCi impression?

a11y

Ha, and that’s my BC membership renewal e-mail just arrived. I’d always been with the CTC/CUK for the 3rd party liability but swapped to family membership with BC as the kids (apparently) needed it for entering some local bike races. Hoping there’s no need to continue that as BC really don’t inspire the slightest bit of confidence with judgements like this.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I will be riding mine. I may even wool.

I’m mainly gutted that Alton towers is shut I thought it would be an excellent use of my enforced day off.

13thfloormonk

I’m sure the Daily Mail types would have been delighted to be held up on their journey to watch the funeral by a bunch of those cyclists who don’t pay road tax or gave number plates.

Yeah… I’m going to give BC a wee bit of leeway here, maybe they were just thinking of potential negative press if e.g. there were large, visible groups of cyclists out on the roads on the Monday, would be an easy win for the tabloids.

Sad state of affairs but you could almost argue that BC are right to think about ‘reputation management’ of the sport…

a11y

I’m mainly gutted that Alton towers is shut I thought it would be an excellent use of my enforced day off.

We were in the middle of our 5-hr mile drive to Alton Towers on Thursday evening last week. Thankfully they didn’t close on the days that followed! P.S. it was bloody awesome, first time back for me in 20+ years.

glp1
    Free Member

I will most certainly be out riding on Monday. I will undoubtedly give thought to the reason for why and reflect on that as my observance of the day and in respect to The Queen.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.