Viewing 21 posts - 201 through 221 (of 221 total)
  • British Cycling agrees 8-year sponsorship with Shell
  • nerd
    Free Member

Here’s the (unsatisfactory) reply to my email cancelling my BC membership.
    For the record, I don’t own a car and I pay for renewable energy (Ecotricity).

Dear Neil,

Thank you for getting in touch with us.

The Shell partnership is a long-term commitment to cycling, which will bring significant and tangible benefits and help more people consider cycling and cyclists.

It will help us to progress important work to move our business and sport towards net-zero, and to make cycling more accessible for disabled people – matters which we know our members are passionate about.

We will share further details of the first big steps before the end of this year, including an announcement of the Limitless programme and the recruitment of our first Sustainability Manager.

As always, all feedback from our members is important, and we’re always seeking to improve our engagement with you. Your comments in relation to your cancellation request have been passed on accordingly.

We’re sorry that you want to leave British Cycling. If you would like us to process cancellation of your British Cycling membership, please return your card along with a covering note to British Cycling, National Cycling Centre, Stuart Street, Manchester, M11 4DQ. We will process your refund on receipt of your card. Please Note: A cancellation fee of £10 will deducted from any refund issued.

Best wishes,

The Membership Team

dazzydw
    Free Member

please return your card

Cover it in oil! Or put it in a quart can of oil. With a cool phrase in the covering letter. Like that bit in Quantum of Solice.
    🙂

dyna-ti

You can’t make an MTB without the oil industry. 😉

cookeaa

You can’t make an MTB without the oil industry. 😉

…currently.

Nothing to say we have to keep using rotten dinosaurs to make plastics and rubbers, IANA Chemist but there’s been efforts at plant based polymers over the years, I can’t exactly vouch for their green credentials obviously, but it’s better than just defending the “do nothing/don’t challenge the money” position because you lack a bit of imagination…

BC do seem to be quite careful about generally not adopting much of an environmental policy in their various bits of waffle. And we all know it sport, sport, Sport! hunting for those elite medal prospects and crushing the psychological well being of those that don’t quite hit the targets….

But I mean come on, bicycles/cycling and the environment… The connection is pretty chuffing obvious to most people who aren’t just trying to be contrary arses or looking to ‘trigger’ anyone soft enough to have a bit if a conscience…

Oil companies and bicycles/cycling (and thus by extension the environment)? It feels incongruous at best.

crazy-legs

https://road.cc/content/news/how-loss-hsbc-covid-19-hit-british-cyclings-finances-296607

Well balanced piece on road.cc about the sponsorship including some background on HSBC.

ooOOoo
    Free Member

That is a good article, well worth a read. Telling HSBC to go away with 4 years left looks particularly stupid now.

So they are low on cash, and who comes in? The fossil fuel industry, with their deep we’ve-got-so-much-cash-we-don’t-know-what-to-do-with-it pockets.

I get angry about betting adverts on football shirts, but seeing the Shell logo on a cyclist’s arms is even more repulsive.

kevog
    Free Member

Thats it, I’m convinced – I’m, only filling my 2.8 litre Audi up at ethical petrol stations in the future…

stevious

Juat had my cancellation email back from BC. They didn’t ask for my card back, which is good because I can’t be arsed to find it.

geeweepee
    Free Member

The hypocrisy over this, whilst people drive to Bike Park Wales, or some other cycling venue. How about all that cycle clothing, made from oil, by any chance? Or the plastic components? Or the bikes, made in the Far East, then shipped in oil fueled ships, then by oil fueled vehicles, to the bike shops. If not Shell then who? Name a Company or other organisation, that should replace, Chinese backed HSBC? A Chinese oil company? We are going to need oil, for many decades to come, even if we stop burning it. Shell only get oil out of the ground, because “we” need it. And there are far worse Oil Companies than Shell.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

But I mean come on, bicycles/cycling and the environment… The connection is pretty chuffing obvious to most people who aren’t just trying to be contrary arses or looking to ‘trigger’ anyone soft enough to have a bit if a conscience…

I’ve pointed this out till I’m blue in the face, but driving your car to a trail center has roughly the same CO2 emissions as a full carbon bike.

Saying you could make a bike out of cellulose polymers or tyres from natural rubber isn’t solving the issue that you’re driving to Peebles on a tank of Shell’s finest.

Maybe that’s just it, maybe it’s not greenwashing, they just want to cash in on the lucrative T6 Vanlifers to Golfie weekender market.

rootes1

I was very grateful for the £60k from BCs Places to Ride programme (council stumped up £60k plus vat on the lots)as meant could a great little facility built that is very well used by kids of all ages.

I hope that they run another grant scheme on the same basis (current crowd funding version is more problematic).

clearly a complex situation, but as will most things far from black and white.

crazy-legs

Watching the Track World Champs on TV the other day, I noticed that the Belgian Cycling Team are sponsored by / partnered with Esso.

Since I always try and fill up with Esso cos of Nectar points, I guess I’m inadvertently supporting the Belgians rather than Team GB…

ferrals
    Free Member

Interesting to see this from the Western Cyclocross League, thinking about removing the whole league from BC:
    All,
    Following several conversations with committee members, riders, volunteers and organisers at this Sunday’s WCCL race the committee held an extraordinary meeting to discuss the ‘Shell BC partnership’
    There were differing views between committee members, and we obviously all respect the many views of all league members. After careful consideration, a tactical way forward was agreed.
    For the remainder of the 2022-23 season we will continue, as planned, with our schedule and run events under the BC system.
    A review of the options for race organisers and the league as whole will take place early next year (after the end of the season) to explore the viability of alternatives.

WCCL committee

DrJ

So the CEO of British Cycling has stepped down. What difference does that make, if the Shell deal remains in place?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2022/oct/31/british-cycling-chief-brian-facer-steps-down-three-weeks-after-controversial-shell-deal

chakaping
    Free Member

So the CEO of British Cycling has stepped down. What difference does that make, if the Shell deal remains in place?

My suspicion is that he’s gone because of the way the Shell deal was done, and the ensuing fallout.

Yes the horse has bolted, but if it’s about the management style that led to it – then they won’t want to keep him around for more of the same style.

dazzydw
    Free Member

And since Shell was not even the new lead sponsor you’ve got to wonder what options he had lined up for the big one.
    Big Pharma I’m guessing. 🙂

footflaps

And now laying off staff due to declining membership!

The news, reported by Cycling Weekly (link is external), came from a draft of British Cycling’s annual report and financial statements for the year up to April 2023 which was leaked and showed 11 redundancies had been made out of approximately 250 employees, while membership had fallen by seven per cent and there had been a £1.35 million loss in commercial income.

https://road.cc/content/news/redundancies-british-cycling-amid-declining-membership-304709

mattsccm
    Free Member

But why not?  The link between cycling and caring for the environment is minimal. Possibly, if your only means of transport is a bike and in that I include organisations further up the supply chain doing the same and if you never buy new parts, your cycling has minimal impact but recreational cycling? Come on.

How many here never ever use motorised transport to aid their cycling and never buy a new part ?

Face it, modern cycling isn’t anything like looking after the planet.

matt_outandabout

Face it, modern cycling isn’t anything like looking after the planet

Some cycling doesn’t.

Some cycling does.

oldnpastit

Good luck making a bike without oil.

jimmy

I always ride to work rather than take any form of transport.

When I go to work about once a month.

Otherwise I sit in my lovely warm house.

Viewing 21 posts - 201 through 221 (of 221 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.