Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • British bad workmanship. (mini rant)
  • Bunnyhop

My lovely little sewing machine mechanic retired a few years ago, so I found someone else from a friend’s recommendation.

He turned up 2 days later than arranged (did apologise though). When He finally came round to collect the machines he spent nearly all the time on his mobile phone.
    The promise to return them the next day was broken. I’m self employed so no machines, no work, no pay.
    He arrives with the sewing machine, chipped and some bits broken. He apologises and says he’ll find new ones.
    But the thing I’m most angry about is other machine that was broken is still leaking oil ( just found this out) and I’m £80 out of pocket (which was quite a good price for the work he quoted).

My own business would not have survived for a day if I wasn’t ,dependable,reliable, stuck to deadlines and did what the customer asked of me.

Last week we also had a floor sanded. 3 different people have said that it hasn’t been done properly. The company are coming back though, to give it a final ‘fine sanding’. Again these people were recommended.

Arrrgghhhh.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

get a Polish person to do it, generally far better work ethic, mind you a lot of Polish workers seem to have now embraced the fine british arts of laziness and sloppy workmanship

Drac

Yeah some are real shoddy. The sweep we got in to do our chimney when we had the log burner put in must a fertiliser bag full off old nests. Told us it was fine, was luck we didn’t have a fire and cost us £100s to put right as builder thought maybe the heat had damaged the chimney. Was only one way to find out and that was to smash through. Then we found the real problem.

ahwiles
    Free Member

my usual garage quoted me £1200 for work required for my car to pass an MOT,

this place has all the 3-star AA-approved blah-blah trustworthy-tradesman etm you could wish for.

i wasn’t so sure, so went elsewhere – it passed, no problems.

trout
    Free Member

Bunny hop
    We have an old singer electric sewing machine from my mum in laws
    do you want it .

Its going in the skip if not

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Bunnyhop – I’m interested to know what type of work you do?

Reason I ask is that I have 2 piece leathers for my motorcycle and I want a zip sewn in right around the waist so I can join them.

Is this something you could do?

Cheers

Bunnyhop

Trout – that is really kind of you. My own singer is a very modern industrial machine, so your MiL’s may not be up to the job. I do suggest you try and sell it though, there is a definite market out there for these. |Thanks anyway.

Zedsdead – No, can’t do that sort of stuff, try and upholsterers, as they will have the type of needles you need for heavyweight fabrics such as leather.

Drac – We had similar with our sweep a few years ago. He told us the chimney was knackered and refused to put brushes up. Instead he quickly vacuumed the selves inside the chimney, making no effort to keep the room fairly clean. Most sweeps, will endeavor to cover the chimney breast with some sort of sheeting. Thsi was £35 (cash). When the builder came round to check our chimney for suitablility for the wood burning stove, he said nothing was wrong with it.

Do all these workmen see me coming?

Another thing I’ve noticed, is, they all ask for cash.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I want a zip replacing on my gortex jacket – full length coat zip can you do this?
    See your rantette may have earned you business every cloud etc

Bunnyhop

I think I’ve got enough Junkyard, with all the pinnies, bunting, handbags and curtains. Had to turn down alterations and stuff – sorry.

You could take Trouts machine and do it yourself 😉

ahwiles
    Free Member

on the other hand; right now there’s a british-gas repair dude in my kitchen, i swear he just fixed my boiler with a sonic-screwdriver!

Zedsdead
    Free Member

Hard to find someone good these days. Always best if you know them but not always possible.

Thanks for your advice – I’ll do some research.

Junkyard
    Free Member

FFS I don’t do womens work 🙄
    😉 [ just to be sure people realise]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Troutie’s giving away an old sewing machine?? Can I have it please??

trout
    Free Member

Elfinsafety

yes its yours if you want it .
    where abouts in the world are you .

Junkyard
    Free Member

I dont think he lives int he same world as many of us 😆
    London

Bunnyhop

Lol @ Junkyard.

Spongebob
    Free Member

mrmichaelwright – Member

get a Polish person to do it, generally far better work ethic, mind you a lot of Polish workers seem to have now embraced the fine british arts of laziness and sloppy workmanship

GET A BRITSH CITIZEN TO DO IT! (any race, colour or creed)

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Get the best person for the job, regardless of race, colour, creed or nationality.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

It wasn’t like this in the war you know. Spirit of the blitz, make do and mend an all that.

I blame those damn doodle bugs myself. Our harold still dives under the nearest table every time an engine cuts out.

have i had my tea???

?

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

junkyard

this is the place u want, as used recommended to me by someone at mountain equipment. first class work and service.

http://www.tundra-repairs.co.uk/

Bunnyhop

Papa_Lazarou – I really am crying with laughter.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘British bad workmanship. (mini rant)’ is closed to new replies.