• This topic has 522 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by hooli.
Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 523 total)
  • British and Irish Lions 2021
  • anagallis_arvensis

the idea that someone can call DVDM out for being “weak defensively”

He is, he turns light a cart horse and his positioning is poor, he has a lot of strengths obviously but Adams or Loopy would be better defenders and Williams especially is much better under the high ball. SA will try to test him early under the high ball, it’s not to say he’s a bad player, he has just been picked to start a Lion’s test for god’s sake, but it’s a gamble from Gatland for sure, safer less attacking options are available

gauss1777
    Free Member

It does amuse me that the two of the most biased posters on this thread get so upset and lash out all the time.

I thought you were doing much better now tj, and I’ve not seen you lash out. 😉
    A_a is more critical of the Welsh players than anyone!

Ps there were a lot of people in the press choosing Murray over Price for the first Test, whilst acknowledging that he had not been playing well and that Price is currently playing the best of the three on tour. The reasons given include: he has better tactical awareness, at his best he was a much better player than Price, he has a lot of experience.

tjagain

AA – how much have you seen DVDM play? He is no Harris defensively but he is not weak nor is he weak under the high ball. I have watched him play week in week out. Have you?

He is one dimensional yes – but he is not a poor defender – thats just nonsense

5plusn8
    Free Member
    anagallis_arvensis

AA – how much have you seen DVDM play?

Enough to see him exposed a number of times, he bites in early when he should stay wide and like most big wingers he doesn’t like the ball put behind him, he’s not bad in the air but he’s no Loopy under the high ball. Weak is the wrong word, he’s anything but weak but he’s not got the defensive solidity of Adams. He brings other things.

Kryton57

Weak is the wrong word

Not as good as Watson, Adams or Williams would be the words I would use.

5plusn8
    Free Member

I don’t see the point in arguing about it, some of us think he might get exposed, others don’t. It’s all interesting discussion and we will see what happens.

Meanwhile Itoje and AWJ playing together should produce some magic, I heard there was a bit of bromance going on there.

anagallis_arvensis

I don’t see the point in arguing about it, some of us think he might get exposed, others don’t. It’s all interesting discussion and we will see what happens.

I hope he has a stormer!!
    Would like to see him coming in running off 9 and picking and going up the guts as an extra forward.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Would like to see him coming in running off 9 and picking and going up the guts as an extra forward.

we can all hope. Fingers crossed for a stomping game. If TJ comes back with a told you so over Price and VDM we will all be happy.

Kryton57

Meanwhile Itoje and AWJ playing together should produce some magic, I heard there was a bit of bromance going on there.

I think AWJ is a perfect Mentor for Maro TBH. I hope they keep in touch and if Maro ever becomes Captain you love to know he was being mentored by AWJ.

ElVino

As a Munster & Irish fan I find Murray really frustrating now. I think Irelands box kicking / one out runner strategy under Joe Smith destroyed him. It was completely preprogrammed which may be why some posters have said he seems to know exactly what he is going to do when he gets to a ruck. He also hardly ever has a snipe now or even gets on the end of a move. He used to pose a real running threat.
    The other way of looking at the bench is it is to close out a game not to change it up. Perhaps we will be so far ahead we can bring on Farrell and Murray and kick deep.

tjagain

Oh I was going to come back with a rant but everyone ( me included) calmed down *shocked picachu face*

VDM has been coming in off his wing and playing off 9 a bit more recently and in these warmups a bit. I guess thats what he has been told to do and part of why he was picked. His first couple of season he did tend to just patrol a touchline

5plusn8
    Free Member

I hope they keep in touch and if Maro ever becomes Captain you love to know he was being mentored by AWJ.

For a while he was being touted as new england captain, is this still on the cards?

tjagain

I think Itoje will make a good captain. He is a smart bloke. I would have been happy with him captaining the lions. when you watch him in a game when the players are in a huddle he seems to have plenty to say and the little I have heard him say in public is thoughtful and smart. His comments over “swing low” were IMO spot on. Just the right tone.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Gatlands reasoning as to why adams was left out: Emotional due to baby and picked up a knock. Seems fair.
    https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/it-easy-out-us-warren-21107538

edit plus more on Itoje/AWJ etc.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/maro-itoje-interview-usain-bolt-21101648

Wales on line really does good rugby coverage, our local rag (ironically the same Reach news syndicate) is rubbish.

bigblackshed

Ref: AWJ and Maro. 4 years ago I said to my English mates that Maro would benefit from playing with AWJ on the NZ Lions tour and was dismissed as talking horse.

Without question AWJ is over his peak, but he brings so much else in leadership and attitude that those around him can’t help be effected by the experience.

The Lions have an abundance of 2nd rows that whilst picking AWJ, to me at least is a no brainier, that leaves some excellent players in the stands as spectators. I think that goes for many positions across the park. The fact that Biggar is the first choice 10 shows how bereft of talent we have available. Yes there’s lots of decent players, more injured than fit, but there’s no one properly World Class. Even Finn when he’s not being mercurial*

* Mercurial = often shite**

** Sarcasm @TJ

tjagain

It would have been interesting to see if finn got a place if / when he is fit

Right from the beginning tho i said Biggar should be the ten – not because he is the best but because his style suits the lions best.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Biggar should be the ten – not because he is the best but because his style suits the lions best.

Umm then he is the best.

Regarding Finn, the mercurial point is fair, but when he is on the money he is bloody good. I wonder if anyone can work on why he goes wrong?

chrispoffer

Ah man, I’m SO excited for the first test on Saturday. Looks like a cracking team to me. I really don’t care where players are from when they pull a Lions jersey on. I’m an Englishman but I’m really looking forward to seeing AWJ as captain, Hogg at fullback and Conan at #8. Having watched all the tour games so far it’s going to be a real test, especially after the midweek against that suspiciously strong SA ‘A’ team.

Hope our scrum only moves forwards, hope Itoje does his usual midair snaffling at the lineout, hope Price & Biggar work well together and hope the back 3 have rockets on their boots.

C’mon you Lions 🙂

duckman

and hope the back 3 have rockets on their boots.

I hope not,for a half Hogg and Watson should be kicking the leather off the ball. I can’t vouch for Watson but Hogg has a boot like a siege gun, as does Daly for that matter. Meanwhile DVM will be popping up on short crashes or testing Kolbe’s shoulders. Proper smash mouth rugby,the first half will not be a good advert for non rugby fans, but if you like the game it will be some contest.

onehundredthidiot

I’d rather they not get drawn into an arm wrestle, big boot only as good as the chase and that’s where kolbe may show up the bigger DvdM if he’s not under pressure on the catch. They’ll definitely slide a back rower over towards that wing.

tjagain

I think some of you are going to be surprised.

DVDM to make more metres and beat more defenders than any of the backs.

What the forfeit / bet? Greggs till you bust? Photo of you with a Scotland shirt on ( I’ll find an england one?) Photo of you preying to the shrine of the superhero DVDM? ( I’ll do one for Farrell)

thats what he did in the 6N I believe – made more metres and beat more defenders than any other player from the home nations

tjagain

I don’t think duckman is right. remember Toonie is one of the coaches.

I think the team is set up to nullify the SA pack and to force them to kick but I expect to see a fair amount of counter attacking from SA kicks unless they get a perfect kick game. I also expect a lot of contestable kicking from Biggar and Price but not a lot of the long kicking game.

Kolbe / DVDM is going to be entertaining tho. Two very different types of wingers

onehundredthidiot

Don’t forget SA have some big chunky centres to truck it up off 10 and a couple of locks who will hit a ruck in a manner that needs careful looking at. First lions jackel is going to get smashed bloody hard.

onehundredthidiot

Classic SA PS de Toit to press biggar into a less the good kick, locks tracking back to upset the lions chase and openholes for the return then be early to tackle to clear out defence. Worked twice in the WC final.

tjagain

anyone want to take up the bet?

anagallis_arvensis

anyone want to take up the bet?

What’s the bet?

Kryton57

I think some of you are going to be surprised.

DVDM to make more metres and beat more defenders than any of the backs.

Yawn.

What’s the bet?

Can we have a bet on who’s the first Lion to be involved in a punch up?

5plusn8
    Free Member

Its a fair bet on Itoje or Jones the Prop.

tjagain

Kryton – want to just stop with the digs please. Its childish and tedious . I tried to make peace with you but you just keep on with the snide digs, Grow up

tjagain

the bet is that DVDM makes more metres and beats more defenders than any other back

If he does we need a pic of you either worshipping at a shrine to him or wearing a scotland shirt. If he doesn’t I’ll make a shrine to Farrell ( or the player of your chice) or wear and england shirt

Or all the Greggs you can eat!

5plusn8
    Free Member

Kryton – want to just stop with the digs please. Its childish and tedious . I tried to make peace with you but you just keep on with the snide digs, Grow up

He said “yawn”. It was an expression of his boredom with the topic, which lets face it you have made about 50 posts on. It seems a fair reaction, not childish, snide or cutting. I’m bored of it too, I thought we buried the hatchet when we all wished VDM well. Why do you need to keep pressing it? And you talk about other people lashing out or needing to grow up?

Kryton57

You keep banging the same drum TJ, its tedious as I’m sure some of my posts are, nothing wrong with the Yawn comment in that regard. I’d have said it if someone else had posted it, it’s not about you personally.

tried to make peace

You didn’t appear to, you accused ok implied at best I was involved in name calling and “slagging”

Grow up

Your change of attitude/writing style has been noted across other threads not just this one and not just by me. I’m sensitive of your situation so I’ll say no worse than please have a think about the comments you’ve received recently before you post.

tjagain

Everyone can see Kryton – you are being childish and unpleasant.

I offered a bet as a joke. the bet being tht DVDM would make the most yrads and beat the most defenders

Kryton chose to make another childish attack

well yo have got your wish. Yo have driven me off the thread with your continual childish and petulant posts.

Have a think about how patronizing your last post is.

loum
    Free Member

Edit. Cross post

5plusn8
    Free Member

Gatland believes some South African players will be “underdone” after they were forced to isolate amid a Covid outbreak.

Spot of sledging from our man in SA.
    See this:
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/21/alun-wyn-jones-to-captain-lions-in-first-test-after-remarkable-recovery-south-africa-rugby

Getting fired up now.

Kryton57

OK, well I’m sorry you feel that way TJ.

Moving on:

Spot of sledging from our man in SA.

Wrong team to wind up? But it all makes for a great piece of Rugby theatre.

5plusn8
    Free Member

Wrong team to wind up?

Well yeah you don’t throw grenades without expecting something back…

Kryton57

@TJ

Because I can’t respond directly I’ll just – carefully – say this; You’ve misunderstood my intentions. Whether you agree or not, or my writing style communicates that intention inappropriately I can assure you that you’ve taken it the wrong way and I’m not deliberately… well you know.

Enjoy the Rugby, and come back to the thread for the banter when you feels its the right time.

tjagain

Reflect on it then. Its completely unacceptable to be patronizing like that whether you intend it or not. think why I sent a pm and reflect on that

I know I am touchy right now but reflect on what you did and said.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 523 total)

The topic ‘British and Irish Lions 2021’ is closed to new replies.