• This topic has 522 replies, 35 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by hooli.
Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 523 total)
  • British and Irish Lions 2021
  • Premier Icon duckman

Schinkler the only player cited; what the actual??? De Klerk is the luckiest man alive to avoid his tackle reviewed and apparently landing on your head is OK if you are called Murray.

Premier Icon dannyh

Erasmus hasn’t done the game any favours with the pre-match shenanigans. The Boks would probably have won anyway as the Lions offered so little in attack, but he definitely bought them the overly cautious refereeing and the disruption to the flow of the game their big units need.

Kolbe’s offence was more red than yellow, even more so when it looked like a bit of retribution on his part.

De Klerk was very lucky too. You can see him looking around thinking “oh shit” in the immediate aftermath of his head on head ‘tackle’ of Murray.

It doesn’t help that Gatland is also a big fan of referee ‘influencing’. See also Steve Hansen. Rugby is less easy to cock up as a spectacle – I.e. the interruptions etc – than football. But it is still very possible.

No one covered themselves in glory in this match. On the field and in the build-up.

Premier Icon DezB

If the Lions adopt the same tactics next week – ie, anywhere near the 22, the 10 gets the ball and hoofs it in the air – I really couldn’t give a shit if they lose.

Premier Icon 5plusn8
    Free Member

dezb, agreed.

Premier Icon onehundredthidiot

Faf had at least two more questionable hits both into ruck both shoulder led. Interesting that early in the Am try deliberations there was an angle that would have really made it doubtful but that wasn’t shown again.

Premier Icon dannyh

Dezb +1

Nah boot it at the water carriers they com on and force a stoppage. It needs to be stopped.

Premier Icon DezB

Yeah, you know player safety is paramount – and 2 players going for the high ball, one jumping, the other not jumping, but not seeing the jumping one cos he’s trying to judge the high ball and ends up with *surprise!* a player’s feet in his hands instead of the ball he’s expecting!? And then everyone screams he’s dangerous and should get BANNED for the rest of the game?! Well BAN the stupid bloody high ball! Like in the under 13s! Then we might get a decent game of rugby to watch! Stupid, I know. (But true.)

Premier Icon ElVino

Would love to know what Gregor Townsend is thinking and what if any input he has had into the attacking game plan. Or is it that nothing would work against this Boks defense / pack?
    I’d be happy with 12 changes for the next game, at least it would be interesting. I’d keep Furlong, Itoge and Henshaw and even then you could talk me out of Furlong and Henshaw.

Premier Icon robbo1234biking

Team is out now. 6 changes for the squad.

Williams is a good call at fullback and TJ gets his wish with Russell on the bench over Farrell. Got a few creative players to chase the game if they can keep it close in the first 60. Quite like the centre partnership – will see how it goes.

Premier Icon DezB

Not sure Aki offers much, but we’ll see. Good to see Adams has got a start at last.

Ali is there to stop de allende but he has suspect tackle technique at times.
    I know faf looked like he tweaked a hammie but I can’t help but feel that razzle is concerned about him not managing another game without a card. Last two he could have been carded on a few occasions.

Premier Icon duckman

I would rather he was playing, that ex saints player Rienach(sp) is frighteningly quick.

Premier Icon Kryton57

Sinckler allegation dismissed.

There’s too much messing about from SA now, even if they won next week they’ve lost my respect for attempting to manipulate their way through to the wins, which to be fair isn’t necessary.

Really like reinach and yes he is fast. Hopefully the 9s will have been briefed to pressure to opposition 9/8 too much stepping back to the offside line to fall back into the defensive line.
    Was.surprised Hogg got in last game not surprised he’s out, Suzz though is pretty solid.

Premier Icon gauss1777
    Free Member

There’s too much messing about from SA now, even if they won next week they’ve lost my respect for attempting to manipulate their way through to the wins, which to be fair isn’t necessary.

I’ve totally gone off the idea of SA joining the 6 Nations.

To be honest I’ve gone off the lions tour a bit. Should be a glorious spectacle of rugby but it’s turned into a win at all costs bore.
    There’s only one thing worse than a bad loser, a bad winner.
    Although I think I may be getting old but when I’m surprised that players aren’t warned more about their interactions with the ref. Biggar and Farrell are obvious but the SA winner who scored and la Roux should have had the captain being asked to have a word with them.

Premier Icon duckman

Cards for simulation are needed unfortunately. No idea why players at that level do it; it is going to be scrutinised at 6 different angles.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

Has anyone been listening to the BBC Rugby Union Weekly Lions Podcasts?

I’ve found them really interesting

Premier Icon gauss1777
    Free Member

Premier Icon olddog

Well I expect this to be pretty brutal with very little finesse.

Hope we do actually get some outside play, I think the Lions should try to move the ball, speed up the game and move the Boks about the park. If lions don’t get them tired I can’t see a victory

Premier Icon Kryton57

Not the case so far, Lions going nowhere forward with the direct approach.

Premier Icon BruceWee
    Free Member

You get the impression the boks haven’t given much thought to playing against Russell.

Premier Icon Kryton57

No. He’s really changed this game. Fingers crossed, and some of the Boks forwards look tired already.

Premier Icon duckman

He plays so close to the gain line, still time for him to give an intecept though.

Premier Icon BruceWee
    Free Member

He plays so close to the gain line, still time for him to give an intecept though.

That’s why it’s such a bad idea to throw away any opportunity he creates.

Premier Icon olddog

It’s drifting away………

Premier Icon olddog

FFS it’s a try just get on with it

Premier Icon olddog

I didn’t spend £10 to watch an extended meeting

Premier Icon anagallis_arvensis

Tense now

Premier Icon Kryton57

Bollocks

Premier Icon 5plusn8
    Free Member

Don’t forgst to cancel ypur NowTV membership.

Premier Icon DezB

Much better game than last week. Gutted to lose that one. What did Nigel Owens say at the end there – he won’t give a penalty unless he’s 100% sure… then he gives a scrum pen… ah well.

Premier Icon olddog

I think there needs to be some thinking about the video reffing – it’s becoming massively intrusive into the games. It kills any momentum and excitement.

I don’t remember it being this bad before.

Premier Icon DezB

Totally agree. Especially when the video ref has to have the same thing explained 3 times to him by the ref, which turns out to be the way the ref saw it to start with. And then the video ref says “I agree with the facts”! the Facts are the facts, you idiot!

Premier Icon thegreatape
    Free Member

For that one, I thought Jonker was inferring that he agreed with the facts but not the sanction (penalty only).

Premier Icon ElVino

Kolbe is amazing, hard as nails and the most elusive runner I’ve seen. Disappointed with the result but at least the game was watchable. Can’t wait to see Boksburg V ABs

I’ve gone off kolbe. Two possible red cards and play acting the Russell high tackle. Loopy Liam was pretty good. Russell is a class 10 and Price had noticeably quicker decision/pass than Murray.

World rugby need to sort lots of things around medics and water carriers and subs being pitch side. The Japanese WC normalised water on at every pause.

Premier Icon anagallis_arvensis

Got to say we had 3 poor matches and by the end I didn’t really care.

Premier Icon slowmover
    Free Member

Long live the Lions! Short of the All Blacks Wales ran the Springboks closest in the World cup and Warren Gatland is one of if not the best coach in world rugby. As a South African my feeling has always been that the Lions are something very special. Not sure people in the UK realize what a big deal this is for South Africa. This Lions team was an absolute belter and every Springbok supporter knew that. The teams were very evenly matched. During a nailbiting game an old man with a cool head who had last played test rugby five years ago clinched the series. Hopefully there will be one or two more Lions test series before a Sevens tournament supplants it.

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 523 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.