Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Bristolshire folk: dual slalom?
  • plecostomus
    Free Member

At work today I had a friend tell me that for the cycling week near the end of the month there is to be A dual slalom race in victoria park. He mentioned that it's being arranged by the guys from wideopen mag? And there's a facebook group with some information about it having been set up, I don't go on facebook so can't see but I somebody is find out some more info and report back! It's supposed to be a week on Wednesday.

gus
    Free Member

6pm on the 18th

£2 to enter

http://bristolcyclefestival.com/event-diary/

phil.w
    Free Member

turn up at 6pm on the 22nd and you wont be racing yourself. 😉

Phototim
    Free Member

yup should be good, 80+ people attending on FB so far. Not sure how they'll get all the racing done before dark! If you want to race I think you have to let them know before hand.

Phototim
    Free Member

Didn't actually realise I was the person who told you in the first place!

MrAgreeable

Just seen this thread and want to clarify that this isn't a DS race on a pre-built course. It's basically two taped lanes on grass, each with about 10 corners. That doesn't stop it from being a hoot though. The practice session the other night featured some amazing 360 crashes.

The time available is a bit of a concern, we're currently pondering a few solutions including floodlighting and setting the start time early, then running the races as people turn up. Or maybe glowsticks?

Milkie
    Free Member

Whats the event called? I just went through all the ones on the 18th and couldn't find it.

nickjb
    Free Member

Whats the event called?

Renegade slalom

I just went through all the ones on the 18th and couldn't find it.

thats because its on the 22nd

milkherd
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable – get everyone to bring their night-lights for some renegade floodlighting!

MrAgreeable

Could work. The course is about 150m long so about 10 people with Bastids or similar could floodlight it. Having said that, we want to be wrapped up pretty early so we don't annoy the residents too much – Vicky Park has always been a no-go area for bike events until very recently.

Eccles
    Free Member

Superb! Thought I'd missed this for some resaon. Speaking as a resident I'm all for it.

What do you reckon for the course – the Marin with Minions on or the Brompton with a shopping basket?

pjt201
    Free Member

Oh and if you want to enter you might be best off doing so in advance. Here are the details from the organiser

Taff Frewin 15 September at 16:30 Reply
    All,

thanks for your interest in this event, I'm pleased to say that we've now got the park permit so the event will definitely be going ahead.

The race is in a weeks time; Wednesday 22nd, so we can finally start registering people properly for the event.

If you would like to enter the race, please send a payment of £2 via paypal to [removed the guys email address (not sure if he'd want it on a public forum) – email me if you want it (mail in profile)] – include your full name and something in the notes to show that it is for this event.

There aren't many rules for entry, but you won't be allowed to race without a helmet and two working brakes.

We may take entries on the day, but registering in advance will secure your spot as there are limited places available due to the short amount of time (and light) that we will have available.

On that note, we will need to move the whole event a little earlier than originally planned in order to get through all of the heats before it gets dark. The course should be setup by 5pm, so arriving then will give you some time to practise, but we may need to start racing as early as 6pm.

I'll try to send some more updates over the next week or so, until then, get registered!

Taff

MrAgreeable

What do you reckon for the course – the Marin with Minions on or the Brompton with a shopping basket?

Bearing in mind this is all about cornering, I reckon a 90 degree head angle wins over a 45 degree one any day.

Eccles
    Free Member

I have something of a hangover, the drive side of my bike appears to have been turfed and my knee hurts. Mission accomplished.

The park looked like it was in pretty good nick this morning – a couple of trails S-ing down but nothing a spot of rain and a weeks growth won’t spruce up. Held up well, hope that helps with a re-run at some point.

FatMandy
    Free Member

All,

I don’t come on here very much, but this just popped up when searching for any news after the event.

I hope that (a) you all go the info you needed before the event and (b) came along and had fun!

I’m please to say that 99% of the feedback after the event was positive, I think everybody who raced had a good night. Even those that went out in joint 33rd (the first round) were treated to some top racing to watch in the later rounds.

I checked the park yesterday too, and it will recover in no time, might have been a different story in the rain, but we had a plan to protect against that, as well as a bootload of top soil.

Keep an eye out for future events, and apologies to non-facebookers, but that is the easiest way for us to organise these events.

Cheery ta

Taff

FatMandy
    Free Member

By the way, there’s a write up here (http://wideopenmag.co.uk/news/7139/bristol-renegade-slalom), results here (http://nakedracing.com/events/race_timing/bristol-renegade-slalom-2010-results.html) and I heard that a bunch of photos were give to MBUK yesterday too so we may make an appearance there next month.

GaryLake
    Free Member
    GaryLake
    Free Member

Bump for the weekday folk…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Bristolshire folk: dual slalom?’ is closed to new replies.