Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bristol folk – advice on commute route
  • rocco

I have just been offered a new job in Bristol and there is now the chance to start commuting by bike again. I will be looking to ride from Chepstow over SevernBridge to Cossham Hospital.

Any advice on what route to take? I’ve looked at Google maps but don’t know own the roads well enough to judge for myself.

joebristol

That’s quite a long ride to Cossham hospital! I’d have to look at a map myself to try and work it out.

mattjng
    Free Member

I do a bit of the opposite, I go from Bishopston to Chepstow so I am familiar with the Chepstow to A38 part. After that though I’m not sure what the best route across is.

It’s easiest to go direct from Aust through Olveston and Tockington, up Fernhill to the A38. The A38 itself is never as bad as it first looks. Because it is a dual carriageway and gets a lots of cyclists, vehicles tend to give you quite a bit of room when overtaking.

I suspect you may then want to cut through Bradley Stoke but I am not familiar with cycling round there so can’t really help.

benbrownuk

What mattjng said for Chepstow to A38, the most direct route (google maps walking directions) is on generally nice roads to cycle on, though you’ll want to be well lit in the dark to be sure you’re seen on the country roads. The google maps walking directions look pretty good from A38 through Bradley Stoke too, pretty efficient roads to cycle on and look worse than they actually are for cycle friendliness. You might find it quicker to stay on the main roads at the end, at the expense of being stuck with the traffic.

If you want to add to your route either way in time, Barry’s Bristol Bash route takes in some nice roads north of the M4 (and south for that matter!).

http://audax.lvis.org.uk/bash.php

Alpha1653

Jeez, this has got to be the most local of forum threads for me – I’m originally from Chepstow though now live on your proposed route near Tockington but previously lived at Emersons Green which is at the back end of your route. Anyway, I don’t have any other suggestions other than to corroborate what Matt and Ben have said. I’ve had a look at the google maps walking route and it’s probably the best option for starters – it’s the one I would certainly take first before finding other rat runs through.

keir
    Free Member

My house is pretty much along that route. I’d follow the a38 to filton avenue by filton college, then use that to cut over to the ring road cycle path (ring road is the a4174) as far as Bromley heath road where you’re pretty much there…

rocco

Thanks all will take a look at the walking directions and try and ride it on a Sunday to see how it goes.

Matt – how long does your commute take you?

mattjng
    Free Member

It takes me 50 minutes normally, 45 if I really go for it and the wind is in my favour.

I only do it 3 days a week but I do it all year

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bristol folk – advice on commute route’ is closed to new replies.