Bristol BRT2 route – Ashton Avenue Bridge

Home Forum Chat Forum Bristol BRT2 route – Ashton Avenue Bridge

Viewing 45 posts - 136 through 180 (of 509 total)
  • Bristol BRT2 route – Ashton Avenue Bridge
  • Premier Icon Mr Agreeable
    Subscriber

Mayoral hustings last night was interesting. The Lib Dem and Labour candidates are the only two left supporting BRT2 (the Conservative candidate, Geoff Gollop, has backed away from it) on the grounds that if we reject it, the funding will be snatched back by the DfT. Some of the other candidates thought it would be possible to renegotiate the funding and apply it to light rail schemes like the Bristol Metro.

All the candidates were saying all the right things, albeit in slightly different ways, and it seems the only thing separating them is BRT2.

The bendy bus thing seems more like expediency than policy – apparently they can’t obtain the vehicles they originally wanted so they’re defaulting to the second choice. The promise of “Dutch-style” cycle infrastructure is a carrot to the cycle campaigners opposing the scheme, and nothing of the sort has shown up on any plans to date, apart from some wishy-washy artist’s impressions.

Bristol trains/metro would be great – especially as the tracks are there.

Premier Icon Mr Agreeable
    Subscriber

BRT2 may actually shaft the Metro proposals if it goes ahead. £100 million isn’t a lot for a scheme of this kind (they’ve spent nearly £10 million just developing the current half-baked scheme we have now), and any budget overspend will have to be met from the local coffers. Which could well mean no money for Metro.

Subscriber

The fur is flying over at the Council House.

http://www.bristol247.com/2012/10/31/tories-attack-bendy-bus-u-turn-as-complete-shambles-22902/

And the reasons given for changing the plan, from the original futuristic mass transit solution to a bog-standard bus route with a couple of new bits, are getting more and more ridiculous, if this Tweet from a BBC reporter is to be believed.

noteeth

All the candidates were saying all the right things, albeit in slightly different ways, and it seems the only thing separating them is BRT2.

Thanks MrA. I suppose my worry is that a political juggernaut, er, bendy-bus like BRT2 takes on a demented logic of its own – we have already spent this much, ergo we must spend more etc.

As for opposing it, there’s always Plan B: 😈

noteeth

The StopBRT2 page has a useful debunking of BCC’s claim that abandoning BRT will mean “losing £200 million” – not least given that the proposed funding includes £58 million to be raised locally….

And another bump for the mayoral petition – not just for numbers, but for the list of stated reasons: there’s clearly much affection for the Ashton/Chocolate Path/Docks cycle & pedestrian route. The proposed scheme simply isn’t welcome.

noteeth

”So scrap forever not just the bendy buses but the entire Bristol Rapid Transit scheme.”

Succinct editorial comment from the Brizzle Post….

Heads-up for commuters: the StopBRT2 lot will be asking people to sign their petition, tomorrow morning at Gaol Ferry Bridge, 8-9.30ish.

More signatures on the e-petition also welcome.

noteeth

Petition thing at Gaol Ferry Bridge was cancelled due to inclement weather – rescheduled for Monday 19th Nov 8-9.30am.

The Brizzle Post recently ran an article suggesting that the BRT funding could potentially be switched to other projects… significant if true.

Next StopBRT2 meeting 7.30pm Monday 19th November, Hen and Chicken, North Street.

Several of the mayorial candidates have been fairly vocal in their opposition to BRT, populist as that may be. So, if this ill-thought-out scheme affects you in any way, use your vote wisely!

Oh, and don’t forget to sign the petition. 😀

noteeth

Post-mayorial-election-type bump.

So, George is reportedly against the BRT scheme – how much power he can actually wield over it remains to be seen…

Public meeting is tonight, 7.30pm, Hen and Chicken, North Street.

noteeth

Stop BRT2 and the Transport for Greater Bristol Alliance have released a joint statement, calling for BCC to halt spending on BRT. The Mayor is – apparently – in favour of diverting the Government funding towards other schemes, but he will be up against some powerful interests….

http://stopbrt2.org.uk/press-release-call-mayor-halt-bristol-city-council-spend-brt

noteeth

PSA-type bump: next public meeting is at 7.30 pm, Tuesday 8th Jan, at the Hen & Chicken, North Street.

Mayor George hopes that he will be able to “implement changes to unsatisfactory Bus Rapid Transport scheme”. By “changes”, I hope he means “abandon” – at least as far as the Ashton Avenue Bridge->Chocolate Path->Dockside section is concerned….

If you haven’t done so, please consider signing the petition. There’s now over 3000 (paper & electronic) signatures.

BTW, does anybody know what happened at Bunker Bikes? – somebody appears to have torched their stashpile of 2nd hand bicycles… 😯

Premier Icon wallop
    Subscriber

Ta for the updates 8)

noteeth

No problem Wallop.

*Raises clenched fist in BS3 solidarity. 😀

Philby

Petition signed – the proposed scheme is a ridiculous waste of money for little gain for public transport users, and will ruin one of the city’s major tourist and cultural assets.

noteeth

Bumpity-bump…

Meeting is tonight.

boxfish

<wonders how long it will take for George Ferguson to u-turn on his opposition to BRT2>

noteeth

George Ferguson and John Grimshaw were at the meeting last night… 😯

Unfortunately, because my shifts end at 19:30, I always get there late – and so I missed much of what was said, but things seem to be moving pretty fast.

I don’t want to second guess the detail, but I reckon the harbourside is probably safe. The status of Ashton Avenue Bridge and the New Cut/Chocloate Path remains unclear. It’s obvious that George wants to retain the available funding, and hopefully re-direct it. As to what that will involve, I dinnae know – so, wait out…

noteeth

Good news.

Indeed – it was a bludy stupid idea putting it thru the harbourside.

I hope they also spare the Ashton Av Bridge and New Cut… we’ll see, I guess.

Bunker bikes hit by arsonists

Bunker bikes was attacked twice over the New year period, assume it was just drunken scumbags…

wrecker

Lib dems aren’t happy!

“It took six years to get to where we are at, so at the eleventh hour, once again, it appears Bristol is about to scrap a transport scheme.

“Is that what we want Bristol to be known for? Or do we want them in London to think ‘down in Bristol they can get on with projects, they can deliver’?”

WGAF what London thinks?

wordnumb

I hope they also spare the Ashton Av Bridge and New Cut…

Very much this. Thanks for the update.

clubber

WGAF what London thinks?

Disappointingly but unsuprisingly, self-serving local councillors who want to progress their ‘careers’ regardless of whether it serves their voters.

Premier Icon shaggy
    Subscriber

I hope they also spare the Ashton Av Bridge and New Cut… we’ll see, I guess.

My thinking is that, now it can’t go through the Harbourside, or over Prince’s Street bridge the most sensible* route to the centre is via Hotwells. Obviously that would save the Chocolate Blocks and probably Ashton Ave Bridge.

*now that sense seems to finally have come in to play.

wordnumb

now that sense seems to finally have come in to play

I admire your optimism and hope that you are right.

Premier Icon shaggy
    Subscriber

It’s come in to play, whether it prevails remains to be seen 😉

noteeth

Gutted for the Bunker Bikes crew. What an utter waste. 😐

the most sensible* route to the centre is via Hotwells

Yeah, this is what I’m hoping… George seems to be up for a wide-ranging review of transport, including increased emphasis on rail, links with TM etc – but the status of the New Cut remains something of an unknown. Needless to say, the StopBRT2 group are continuing to campaign on this and other issues.

Also, these lot are doing some good work: Friends of the Avon New Cut.

noteeth

Pump bump up the [traffic] jam…

According to StopBRT2 Facebook site:

“Mayor confirms 3 route options for BRT2: Cumberland (using Ashton Ave Br); Coronation; Hotwell Rds. Cumberland Road and Coronation Road could be in combination. New cut rail line safe. Review of route options expected to be completed in May.”

I really hope they don’t put it over the Ashton Avenue Bridge (Hotwells makes far more sense for an improved/priority bus route, IMO), but at least the New Cut/Choc Path now seems to be safe. Hooray for that! 😀

The new cycle path leading onto the Ashton Avenue bridge can make for a fairly busy intersection. If they do put buses (or, indeed, light rail) over it – perhaps BCC will build a lovely separate pedestrian/cycle bridge? Especially for those of us who stagger/wobble back from the Nova… 😉

Next public meeting: 7.30pm, Tues 5th March, Hen and Chicken, North Street.

Here endeth the bump.

boxfish

at least the New Cut/Choc Path now seems to be safe. Hooray for that!

Hooray indeed! 😀

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

So the BRT is going to run down the road? Sounds much like the existing bus service…

noteeth

Sounds much like the existing bus service

Indeed. I guess GF is looking to retain the Gov funding, via a re-jigged route.

noteeth

Yeah, it seems so – fingers crossed they do something sensible with the money…

noteeth

So, it does look like the Chocolate Path and M Shed/Docks are probably safe (all looking fine in the sunshine today, I might add) – but if the re-jigged route goes along the Cumberland Road, that may involve the Ashton Avenue Bridge.

The StopBRT2 group are pushing for the BRT2 funding to be put towards improving the existing Hotwells route and they have produced a detailed briefing note for the mayor, ahead of any decision.

Next public meeting: 7.30pm Tues 5 March, Hen and Chicken, North Street (I might not be able to attend this one).

noteeth

Bumpity-bump.

Unfortunately I can’t attend this one, but the StopBRT2 group will be meeting tonight, 7.30 pm, at the Hen & Chicken, North Street (in the Comedy Box room), if anybody is interested.

It seems like the West of England Partnership are still pushing for a guided bus route (to avoid loss of face, maybe?), which may or may not involve the Cumberland Road, Ashton Avenue Bridge etc…. so, it rumbles on.

Eh oop noteeth, unrelated but I think Stoner wants to get in touch. Possible beers on the weekend of Bespoked on the cards. 🙂

noteeth

Stoner wants to touch

Does he? Ooh, I’ve come over all shy… 🙂

I don’t know which day I’ll be going to Bespoked, but I’ll be around for the whole weekend – STW beers would be good (and let’s face it, there will be a large conference venue crawling with STWers… the horror).

noteeth

OK, so after the Mayor ruled out the use of the Harbourside/Prince St Bridge, it looks like the Council are now considering two main options for the BRT2 route – from the StopBRT website:

1. A guided route from Long Ashton Park and Ride to the Create Centre and then along Cumberland Road to Temple Meads station. This would not be acceptable to StopBRT2. Our concerns relate to the impacts at Ashton Avenue Bridge; Butterfly junction; Colliters Brook; Ashton Vale fields, coupled with excessive cost and over-engineering. It also pre-empts future use of the old railway formation for future rail use.

2. Cumberland Basin/Hotwell Road without guideway. This is the only option we find acceptable and the better route for existing passenger demand (as does the existing 903 park and ride service). We believe that this option should be supplemented with complementary integrating measures including the use of ‘plot 6’ at Temple Quay for rail/bus interchange; cycle measures on the inner loop in tandem with the proposed bus priority measures and possibly improved access to Temple Meads from South Bristol.

So, whilst the Harbourside/Choc Path seem to be safe for the moment, there is still a very real chance that pedestrian/cycle/horse users of the Ashton Avenue Bridge will be having to contend with buses (unless a separate bridge is constructed). Historically, of course, this bridge has carried rail (and vehicular) traffic – but (IMO) it would be a damn shame if it was to be incorporated into what still seems like an expensive, poor-value & somewhat unnecessary scheme. I get the feeling that the West of England Partnership wants to push ahead with a guided bus route at all costs, and some BCC interests appear intent on wrong-footing the Mayor.

Whatever – I think the BRT2 lot are right to be campaigning for improvements to the existing Hotwells route + increased investment in other transport infrastructure. They are still asking people to sign the petition, in case BCC try & sneak those plans back in.

So, watch this space… and tanks for listening. 😀

Subscriber

North Somerset Council seem to have other ideas…

http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/Transport/News/news-20130314-rapidtransitschemeupdate.htm

Particularly like the classy ad hominem attack from loopy helicopter-fan Elfan Ap-Rees.

noteeth

North Somerset Council seem to have other ideas…

Like a badly-driven bendy bus, this thing rolls on… 😕

Glad to see that the Brizzle Post are having none of it:

IF WE have to settle for the so-called Bus Rapid Transit system it must be prevented from using Prince Street bridge. On that mayor George Ferguson is absolutely right and he must not give ground.

Somebody in the comments has a dig at the Mayor for “pandering to the the luvvies and transport anoraks who live in Southville” – it’s the Islington of Bristol, you know. 8)

(And here’s the – IMO, eminently sensible – StopBRT2 statement to Bristol City Council regarding potential routes.)

it’s the Islington of Bristol, you know.

To be fair, that’s kinda true.

Subscriber

The Evening Post comments section really needs some sort of equivalent of Kittenblock.

boxfish

The Evening Post website is not exactly user friendly at the best of times!

Viewing 45 posts - 136 through 180 (of 509 total)

The topic ‘Bristol BRT2 route – Ashton Avenue Bridge’ is closed to new replies.