Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Bring on the Celtic Union!
  • edhornby

Good point Saxon, probably should have adopted that model when setting up the Scottish and welsh assemblies and done it properly for all regions of the UK – but of course the Westminster gravy train would be examined as a result…

SaxonRider

I thought Quebec wanted out anyway?

Quebec has wanted out at times, and there remains a strong minority of folk in Quebec who still do. There are, however, a number of features to the Quebec situation that need to be made sense of when thinking about them in relation to the UK.

What Quebec has always wanted – primarily – is to be recognised as the nation it is. For whatever reason, this has been important to the Quebecois(es), and when Canada passed a motion to this effect, it softened quite a bit of dissatisfaction.

What keeps Quebec onside is precisely the fact that it can do what it wants, even to the point of having only one official language when the provinces have two. This is something they can do legitimately on the basis of the ‘Notwithstanding Clause’ in the Canadian Constitution. On top of this, they also have their own trade offices in places like New York and Paris, and act pretty much like an autonomous country.

What they could not do on their own, for example, is to reject the Crown, as that would be a Federal matter.

In any case, what I am saying is that federalism seems to work, even when using Quebec as an example.

seosamh77
    Free Member

epicyclo

Subscriber
    seosamh77
    You would, didn’t know you spoke for the whole voting public though…

Alot of things will happen post independence that I suspect alot of nationalists are gonny take the hump at!

I don;t speak for the whole voting public, just like you don’t. But as you well know there is little support for offensive military spending amongst those supporting independence, eg opposition to Trident, seeing no point in having aircraft carriers etc so we can “punch above our weight”.

I don’t know any independence supporters who are not realistic about post independence. For starters the Frankenstein party of the SNP will fracture along normal political lines, but the nice thing is we’ll be getting the government we choose.

Independence is normal.

Posted 3 days ago

I know, but independence supporters are only half the equation, never mind being a diverse bunch within themselves.

Not arguing against independence, just saying I do think some people will get a bit of a reality check when it happens.

I’m a completely pro nuclear independence supporter for example. I wouldn’t spend money on trident, but I would quite happily rent out faslane though, and build mixed renewables and nuclear energy system.

seosamh77
    Free Member

gordimhor

I look forward to that day Seosamh, Scotland can then start to function like any normal country

Me tae.

Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Bring on the Celtic Union!’ is closed to new replies.